my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Oxygen masks

Author Topic: Oxygen masks
Stargazer
unregistered

posted 01-27-2000 02:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was watching a show on Discovery a few days
ago about how pilots train to avoid GLOC
situations and I noticed something strange.
Just out of couriosity can someone answer this question? The oxygen masks they were
wearing had the hose coming out of the side. I have only seen this with the Europeans before. My question is does this positioning
of where the hose comes out make a functional
difference or is it just for looks. The Americans have always had it come out of the
middle as far as I know. Can someone in the
Armed forces give me an answer to this? I
can't off hand think of why this is the case.

Stargazer

IP: Logged
ANNON
unregistered

posted 01-27-2000 05:06 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THE rafs standard mask has the oxy hose entering the facepiece on the wearers left hand side.This is the same side as the p.e.c. or personal equipment connector, which also supplies mictel as well as oxygen an a connector for anti-g trousers.I can't really tell you why its like that,but thats the way it is...God!thats a really cabbagey answer!
leafer
Member # 6

posted 01-27-2000 05:57 PM     Profile for leafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My guess is that they are less cumbersome coming from the side, and doesn’t obstruct your front downward view, perhaps?

Posts: 803 | From: Alhambra, CA U.S.A | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Storm
Member # 1480

posted 01-27-2000 10:07 PM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What you saw was the "Combat Edge" system, in use by the USAF. I am a Life Support tech on F-15C's and work on that stuff everyday. It is made up of the MBU-20/P mask, a modified HGU-55/P helmet, with an air bladder installed, and a CSU-17/P PBG vest. The hose can be installed on either side of the mask, depending on what side the helmet bladder is installed on. The vest is worn under the parachute harness and inflates to provide counter pressure during high G maneuvers. The helmet bladder inflates as well to push the wearers head closer to the mask. It gives US pilots about an extra 1 G tolerance, over the normal 9 or so. Hope that helped you out.
Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
unregistered

posted 01-28-2000 09:43 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! Those were very informative
answers. I guess I know where to come for even general questions about aviation.
Storm how long has the US been using these 'new' masks? Also can you guys recommend a book that talks about the latest aviation advances in terms of human tolerances. I find this topic very interesting. I believe it will be a serious mistake to take the pilot out of the plane as some suggest.

Stargazer out

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.