my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Need Opinion on USAF for Casual Simmers

Author Topic: Need Opinion on USAF for Casual Simmers
HeadRusch
unregistered

posted 01-20-2000 08:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Basically, I want to pick up a Jet Sim that runs well on 450 Mhz machines with fancy 3D Cards (heh heh) that is FUN but not die-hard.

I have TRIED IAF but found it to be very frustrating, mostly because half the time I'd get blown out of the sky (what little I could see of it with those giant instrument panels) before I knew I was even in danger.

Is USAF the game to get these days, or would I be better off just picking up a couple of copies of Fighters Anthology and doing it that way?

FINALLY: My ultimate goal is to be able to set up an online game for a friend or two on our 28.8 and 56k connections and play co-op.

Is USAF the way to go or should I think about Fighters Anthology, seriously...?

Please, if possible, send e-mail replies to [email protected]

Thanks!

IP: Logged
Aaron
unregistered

posted 01-20-2000 01:53 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok USAF is a fun game, lots of action, looks great, is easier to play than IAF, and has some fun planes to fly. It is kind of limited in the number of missions available to replay. You have to learn how to direct your wingme and jump between flights to achieve the objectives, the AI can't do it alone. It's biggest problem is it is a slow loading game and getting good connections online are frustrating.

FA is a old game, it does not use any of the 3D cards cool features, and with all the graphics features cranked up you will probably only get 25-30 fps. In the unpatched version you can get over 100fps if you turn down the graphics some. In the 1.02F patched version you are limited to 53fps max. Get the 1.02 patch if you are going to play online at Janes.

Now FA is the best "fun" sim around, not too complicated, lots (100+) missions, 4-5 campaigns, 100+ different planes from all over the world and dating from Vietnam to the near future. Now every plane flies just a bit different, but the radar and other controls are all the same for all the planes.
I can't say enough about FA, it is a great game, online and offline.

If you are looking for beauty go USAF, if you are looking for complexity go Falcon 4 or F/A-18, if you want online play then FA or F/A-18 or Flanker 2. But heck at 10-15 bucks the rerelease of FA is a bargain get it and then look for something newer.

What ever you get, have fun with it.

IP: Logged
Raptor
Member # 1428

posted 01-20-2000 02:10 PM     Profile for Raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have a couple of bucks, get FA (it's on EA Classic now.. $15)

If you have a two of $20s, get USAF.

Both are fun, but I recommend USAF for your system! =)

But if you just want something really simple, that does not take up a lot of video card power, get USAF.

I have both... both of them make me smile =)

Posts: 162 | From: San Francisco, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.