my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Oh, I think we may be screwed... (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Oh, I think we may be screwed...
Boxcar
Member # 1919

posted 01-24-2000 09:19 PM     Profile for Boxcar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Major Tom, how come you don`t use the Suncom Stick with the throttle? I heard that Suncom was coming out with a USB combo, I know the stick is available in USB. I was thinking of getting one but I wanted to wait for USB throttle.

Boxcar

Posts: 317 | From: Vancouver,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 01-26-2000 09:23 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it's all a subjective thing.

I've found I enjoy F4(in it's final, patched state, mind you) much more than F/A-18, because immersion is more important to me than systems modeling.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Meatball1-1
Member # 2591

posted 01-28-2000 02:57 PM     Profile for Meatball1-1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some of you guys sure don't ask much for your thirty bucks. It doesn't surprise me a bit that the sim industry has tanked. The whole problem is that it's not possible to give most of what you guys want for the price you're willing to pay. What we pay for is what we got.

I'd gladly pay $300 for a perfected sim like F4 -- hell, making that sucker run has cost me thousands in wasted time alone. But no one else would, so here we are.

Just remember that all of us together make the market. The market asks for the impossible, and so you now have the industry's version of the impossible. Sorry you don't like it......

Posts: 38 | From: Ft. Lauderdale | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-29-2000 09:53 AM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
People are getting too damn picky, plain and simple.

I love MiG Alley. I hate F/A-18. But...

Go look at Aces Over Europe, Falcon 3.0, USNF or Jet Fighter II. If you can honestly look at all of those (all considered amazing in their time) and say today's sims "suck," you're either nuts, you don't remember yesterday's sims, or you're just looking for things to complain about.

Are all the new sims perfect? Of course not! But let's be glad there are still so many to pick from! In the course of one year, I have been able to buy sims of prop planes, brand new jet fighters and even early 1950s aircraft! It may not always be this way, especially if every company that takes a chance on a new sim gets nothing but complaints, "demands" and hate mail!

I have purchased many sims in the past 12 months. Some of them sit in the box and some of them I fly every day, weeks or months after installing them. Some of them ran perfectly out of the box and others never ran at all.

There's nothing wrong with expressing our likes and dislikes about new sims; after all, it may help software desginers make better sims.

But I don't understand this bitterness, for lack of a better word, which seems to be creeping through the forums lately. I think people expect perfection these days, in every area of their lives, whether it be their jobs, their relationships, or even their hobbies.

I like EAW, maybe you don't. You love Falcon 4.0 and I never got into it; so what?

I'm just glad they were both released and (hopefully) sold well enough to convince Microprose to spend time and money developing more realistic combat flight sims.

If not, we'll soon have very little to complain about, as well as very little to enjoy!

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 01-30-2000 04:44 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you guys are right in some respects. People are too picky. I have never been a nitpicker on the things that don't matter, like demanding ultra-detail on systems modeling and that sort of thing. My gripes have always been more basic, regarding gameplay, stability, etc. I think part of the problem is flightsim developers have been going all out to please the hard-core nitpicking crowd and neglecting the things that really matter, namely:
-stability
-AI
-fun factor

Flightsim developers need to start getting their priorities straight.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Craig2
unregistered

posted 01-31-2000 06:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slowhand:
Yeah. I bet you did a really thorough
evaluation in one hour. Moron.

FWIW, the avionics and weapons modeling in
JF18 is the best to come along by far.

Not that I'd expect that to mean much to
you.

IP: Logged
craig2
Member # 2791

posted 01-31-2000 07:33 PM     Profile for craig2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Blaze: Flight Modeling and Quality
If you're after flight modeling we should
all fly Falcon 3 and read a book both should
solve the objective. Then there the issue
of quality for which we want more of.
It is taken for granted that the flight
model is accurate and a basic knowledge of
flight combat is present that anyone business. As, for competition in the market well there quality and few of it. It lazy to
just issue a basic issue of Flight modeling.
There is more to a sim then what we could fine by reading.

Posts: 12 | From: Glen Burnie, MD | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slowhand
Member # 2236

posted 02-02-2000 09:39 AM     Profile for Slowhand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Say what??

quote:
Originally posted by craig2:
To Blaze: Flight Modeling and Quality
If you're after flight modeling we should
all fly Falcon 3 and read a book both should
solve the objective. Then there the issue
of quality for which we want more of.
It is taken for granted that the flight
model is accurate and a basic knowledge of
flight combat is present that anyone business. As, for competition in the market well there quality and few of it. It lazy to
just issue a basic issue of Flight modeling.
There is more to a sim then what we could fine by reading.

Posts: 27 | From: Harvard, MA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.