my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Cannons on the F-4

Author Topic: Cannons on the F-4
Lloyd Cole
unregistered

posted 01-18-2000 08:00 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Phantom was originally designed as a fleet interceptor for the Navy when it entered service in the 60's. It's main armament was missiles only as per the doctrine back then. The thinking was the day of the gunslinger was over. Planes were flying faster and could engage from farther distances

When Nam heated up, the USAF found that a gun was needed for their mission perameters and went to McDonald Douglas with the specs which resulted in the F-4E. The Navy elected to stay with the missile concept and added the gun pods to mix.

For the rest of the Phantom's service life in the Navy/Marines, the Phantom did not carry a internal gun set up. The subsequent mods, F-4J and S were missile only birds. The improvements were in the engines and in the avionics.

The f-4E and export versions retained the internal gun system.

the Phantom was a great plane, a legend. out of all the planes out there I'd have loved to have seen modeled, the Phantom is that bird. That's the only plane I fly in USNF97.

IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 01-18-2000 08:36 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There were at least nine MiG kills in Vietnam by F-4Cs and Ds using the external 20mm gun pods.
Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dan.
unregistered

posted 01-18-2000 10:24 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While I have always been in the vast minority with this opinion, I've always felt the F-4J one of the prettiest aircraft out there.
IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-18-2000 10:37 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wish I could find a patch with that cartoony phantom II guy holding the cannon pod and shooting it. I'd love to put that on my flight jacket.

It's amazing that anyone ranked up kills with the cannon pod. That takes dedication and patience.

The F-4B (the original B model with the clean nose) and the F-4G are favorite Phantoms.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 01-18-2000 11:03 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MT

Try this link. Maybe they have your patch.
http://www.aad1.com/sfs/m5.html

Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.