my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Janes F/A 18 Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author Topic: Janes F/A 18 Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rock Man
Member # 1745

posted 01-16-2000 03:16 PM     Profile for Rock Man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am sick of hearing the arcade crowd, who have not even given this sim a chance, coplain and whine. Go back to your play station or dreamcast or whatever.
Posts: 22 | From: chicago | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-16-2000 03:38 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most of the people that have a distaste for Janes F/A-18 are hard core. You almost never hear comments like "the flight model is too hard!" or "I cant figure out how to work X weapon system, this game sucks!" I quite frankly found the flight model too easy in some places, extremely lacking in others, and the AI not on par with the current simulations. I made traps, I refueled midair, and I gave it 2 weeks chance.

And now it is off my Hard Drive and shelved.

How can you be sick of hearing from the Arcade crowd if they aren't posting anything?

And another thing...

Why would the Arcade crowd go back to playing dreamcasts and playstations? By definition wouldn't they rather go back to playing Missile Command and Capcom Streetfighter in the arcades? I think you are maybe confusing the Arcade crowd with the Console crowd. In either case, neither of the two crowds in question have posted anything on the subject of Janes F/A-18.

This post is not meant to be insulting or anything like that, so dont take it that way.

If I wanted to insult you I would have bashed you pretty harshly on your spelling of the word complain.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
scanman
Member # 1697

posted 01-17-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for scanman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol!
Posts: 93 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sargon 1
Member # 415

posted 01-17-2000 07:49 PM     Profile for Sargon 1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How would Janes F/A 18 run on my system? Athlon 700mhz, GeForce 256 DDR, 128mb of RAM.

Thank you, I would really appreciate a response.

Slowhand
unregistered

posted 01-19-2000 12:44 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Major Tom:
Most of the people that have a distaste for Janes F/A-18 are hard core. You almost never hear comments like "the flight model is too hard!" or "I cant figure out how to work X weapon system, this game sucks!" I quite frankly found the flight model too easy in some places, extremely lacking in others, and the AI not on par with the current simulations. I made traps, I refueled midair, and I gave it 2 weeks chance.

And now it is off my Hard Drive and shelved.

How can you be sick of hearing from the Arcade crowd if they aren't posting anything?

And another thing...

Why would the Arcade crowd go back to playing dreamcasts and playstations? By definition wouldn't they rather go back to playing Missile Command and Capcom Streetfighter in the arcades? I think you are maybe confusing the Arcade crowd with the Console crowd. In either case, neither of the two crowds in question have posted anything on the subject of Janes F/A-18.

This post is not meant to be insulting or anything like that, so dont take it that way.

If I wanted to insult you I would have bashed you pretty harshly on your spelling of the word complain.

Never mind the real hornet drivers that have
testified to the FM accuracy.

IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-19-2000 01:45 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Super Hornet test pilots? Wow, what are they doing here, shouldn't they be testing the aircraft?

All I heard was one comment from a guy claiming to be a F/A-18C pilot saying the time to speed off the carrier was legit. Besides the I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who is a F/A-18 pilot. Yeah I know my grandfather, who knows a former F-84 pilot that had 2 mid airs and verify's the MiG Alley flight model. But I'm not about to trust a guy who logged time as head training instructor in the back of a C-47.

Wonder what these hornet drivers did that was so bad in the service that they wound up on these forums, much less talking to mostly wannabee pilots.

I trust myself. Period. I wouldn't be a good pilot if I didn't have faith in my ability to tell when something doesn't look or feel right.

Remember, even the people at combatsim said they dont have the facts or numbers on the F/A-18E, yet they take the Janes sims flight model with blind faith and bash the DI one. They also did a number on the FM in MiG Alley, which didn't deserve it either.

Combatsim went into none of the innaccuracies in the Janes F/A-18 FM. NONE They took it all on blind faith. They didn't even make an effort to criticise it.

Turbo
Member # 209

posted 01-19-2000 02:13 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding sims that claim to be tested by their respective pilots, I'd like to say that it's hogwash. The handling characteristics of all active military fighters is classified SECRET. Not one of these sims is endorsed by the armed forces in any manner. I didn't make the rules, that's just how it is.
nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 01-19-2000 02:48 PM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'm a hardcore simmer and I hate the living daylights out of that "sim" (a generous appelation if you ask me).

Be as it may, I canned it in a heartbeat and I find myself not missing that "thing" in the least.

Great coaster though!

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 01-19-2000 02:55 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A friend of mine is running FA18 on an Athlon 600 with 128 MB. It looks like it is about 30% faster than on my 500, maybe even more. Pretty amazing.
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bullethole
unregistered

posted 01-20-2000 03:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F/A-18 is a bit easy in the flight model and the high res detail in the cockpit yes better in chuck yeagers air combat. But i will give janes the time to fix it. The new color palette is suppose to fix the graphics. Anyone know where this is? I just can't wait for the new KA-56 game.
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-20-2000 06:15 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I scooted around in Janes F-15 with my buddy, doing George Bush and Bob Dole impressions while blowing up oil refineries.

It almost made me want to give Janes F/A-18 another go. But then I thought to myself..."hold on just one minute there busterbrown, what makes you think it will be this time around?" I then returned F-15 for another hour or so and had loads of fun.

I actually think that F-15 has one of the best night time atmosphere I've seen in a long time.

It really pains me to see how they managed to turn the F-15 engine into the F/A-18 abomination. Janes should have gone with the european theator expansion disk.

Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-22-2000 11:23 AM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Major Tom:

I'm not sure how I feel about F/A-18 overall- I'm still test-flying.

But I have to agree with you where F-15 comparisons are concerned. I loved F-15. In fact, flying F-18 has made me want to take F-15 off the shelf and reinstall it!

F-18 has its strengths. But, in many ways, I think it comes down to this: Good or bad, F-18 in 2000 is a nice, big bass in the goldfish pond, whereas F-15 in 1998 was clearly a shark.

I think, were both sims released today, F-15 would get 4 stars and F-18 would get 5. But, since F-15 has been around a while, it's an unfair comparison.

Whatever you fly, enjoy it!

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-22-2000 02:38 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Janes F/A-18 probably has the most detailed avionics of any flight sim. That is the only complement I can give fore Janes F/A-18. I have no doubt that the Navy might even choose this simulation as some kind of a bottom level CPT.
hornet18e
unregistered

posted 01-22-2000 07:29 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tell it like is Major, like the way you talk and walk! Hey I live in Chandler, would you like to get together some time online and turn and burn? My icq number is 16065160.

quote:
Originally posted by Major Tom:
Super Hornet test pilots? Wow, what are they doing here, shouldn't they be testing the aircraft?

All I heard was one comment from a guy claiming to be a F/A-18C pilot saying the time to speed off the carrier was legit. Besides the I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who is a F/A-18 pilot. Yeah I know my grandfather, who knows a former F-84 pilot that had 2 mid airs and verify's the MiG Alley flight model. But I'm not about to trust a guy who logged time as head training instructor in the back of a C-47.

Wonder what these hornet drivers did that was so bad in the service that they wound up on these forums, much less talking to mostly wannabee pilots.

I trust myself. Period. I wouldn't be a good pilot if I didn't have faith in my ability to tell when something doesn't look or feel right.

Remember, even the people at combatsim said they dont have the facts or numbers on the F/A-18E, yet they take the Janes sims flight model with blind faith and bash the DI one. They also did a number on the FM in MiG Alley, which didn't deserve it either.

Combatsim went into none of the innaccuracies in the Janes F/A-18 FM. NONE They took it all on blind faith. They didn't even make an effort to criticise it.

Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 01-22-2000 07:51 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ditto Major Tom:
let's get back to Mig Alley now!
(Btw, I have just installed USAF, and I'm getting fun screaming around and fraggin the baddies one after the other or in couples: that's Arcade!)

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.