my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Tornado

Author Topic: Tornado
Sash
Member # 274

posted 01-10-2000 09:40 PM     Profile for Sash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've dug into my old games and would like to play Tornado again. However, I can't get enough lower memory in win98. I used to be quite good at the memory juggle but since win95 have forgotten all the ins into getting more lower memory. If anyone has any advive I would appreciate it. There used to be a site called Tornado II but I no longer can find it. Also i'm looking for the 1.0c patch or later. Thanks in advance can't wait to get back into Tornado.

Sash

Posts: 11 | From: Kingston | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
anonymous
unregistered

posted 01-11-2000 05:53 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
buy an old computer? maybe you have one laying around collecting dust...either way it might be easier than reconfiguring your win98.
IP: Logged
[email protected]
unregistered

posted 01-11-2000 06:00 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well... I'd say getting enough memory wouldn't be a problem...

The catch is that you must get your modern video/sound card and joystick to work properly in DOS mode...

IP: Logged
jimvictor
Member # 1052

posted 01-11-2000 09:01 AM     Profile for jimvictor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...go to the MP and DL the universal boot disk.......
Posts: 433 | From: charlottesville Va usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
arrow
Member # 321

posted 01-11-2000 09:22 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sash,
go to www.digint.co.uk , then, under Support or FAQ (cannot remember) you'll find the AUTOEXEC.BAT and the CONFIG.SYS you need.

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-11-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know a few years ago when Win95 started coming of age, I actually joked to my friends about getting a PII 266. Then installing DOS and Win 3.1 on it and play US Navy Fighters, F-117a 2.0 and Chuck Yeagers Air Combat till the cows came home.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 01-11-2000 02:35 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you should do just that...maybe then you will stop bitchin about JF-18 graphics.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dogsbody
Member # 1361

posted 01-11-2000 04:18 PM     Profile for Dogsbody   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Patches are located at http://www.infima.cz/vpc/tornado.html
As for running the sim, I got it to run on W98 by using the microprose bootdisk. When setting it up, use option 9 (No EMS). It was also necessary to edit the Tornado.bat file. Change the line reading "amp" to read "lh amp.exe"
Hope this helps.
Tone.

Sash
Member # 274

posted 01-11-2000 05:18 PM     Profile for Sash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks alot for all the help I got the program to run with MP's boot program. Even though the game is somewhat limited it is still a great game, I think the campaing and mission planner are really well done.

Sash

Posts: 11 | From: Kingston | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-11-2000 06:52 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Such anger scout. I hope that one day you will fly a real aircraft and find out what it's all about.

I figured out why more current and former military pilots dont play flight sims the day I marked hours in my log book under Pilot In Command. Flight sims are to damn un realistic and they haven't been any fun for years.

All the real pilots are off playing quake. And that aint no lie. It's the sad truth.

Our hobby for 90% of the last 5 or 6 years has not only been un realistic, it isn't any fun either. Oh there have been a few fun ones since US Navy Fighters. MiG Alley, European Air War, and that's about it. If you are taking the simulation hobbie the least bit seriously, treating it as a substitute for the real thing, you are diluting yourself.

I started flying for real 2 years ago, but it hasn't dawned uppon me till now how sorry some of the people in this hobbie are till now. They really do think that the "games" they play are a fair representation of what flying is about and insult those that dont share their views.

I'm not going to blow smoke up your *** about how good the aircraft FM where in MiG Alley and European Air War. They aren't terribly good compared to real life, but neither are any of the other flight models in any of the other flight sims. At best I'd say they probably mimic the characteristics of the real aircraft decently and that's all that matters to me. Those flight sims where fun and they did it as good as any other sim out there.

Janes F/A-18 wasn't fun, infact the flight model is equally as bad as any pixelogic or novalogic sim out there.

I'm just here to play John Fogerty's centerfield while simming and ice a few nazi's and commies

Occasionally I play some Led Zeplin to

So be cool and try to have some fun with your little toy sims, I certainly do.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.