my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » why don't sim companies...

Author Topic: why don't sim companies...
jk
unregistered

posted 01-07-2000 07:34 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how come sim companies don't licence things like flight models and avionics from one company? You could easily cut down on the costs of a hardcore sim and also you could create a increadable survey sim within it. You could use the F-16 from F4, the F-15 from Jane's and the A-10 from jane's(it was supposedly complete except the graphics), FA-18 from one of the companies, and the SU-27 from flanker 2.0
IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 01-08-2000 01:49 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You need standards to fasilitate the reuse and 'component based' design that you suggest. My feeling is that the 90s have been an innovative but difficult decade for sim developers. Lack of hardware power and OS/software standards have made optimized and proprietary designs and code necessary.

I think we are at the end of such an transition --- hardware and software technologies are now at a point where what you suggest starts to make a lot of sense.

That's my $0.02 anyway... :-)

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 01-08-2000 05:39 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila,
Disagree with you (for a change .
Actually it's one small point really!
You said:
"Lack of hardware power and OS/software standards have made optimized and proprietary designs and code necessary. "
I think it's the software side that's the problem. If you are suggesting that clunky operating systems from MS are a hindrance I agree with you. Bottom line is that for smaller companies licensing a generic design for avionics etc might be too expensive an option to consider. (depends on price obviously). I think one of the real problems is I think what you have suggested in the past which is re-inventing the wheel.
Clearly if standards are used early in sim development that will prolong its lifetime but at a practical level you have to weigh up the commercial pros and cons of doing it while simultaneously not introducing standards which are practical/beneficial rather than bureacratic/stifling to the developer. And doing that is, I am sure you'll agree, isn't easy.

Where there's a will there's a way in most companies but if the committment does not come from senior management in a company you are not going to get the chance to prove the point.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 01-08-2000 05:43 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila,
"you have to weigh up the commercial pros and cons of doing it while simultaneously not introducing standards which are practical/beneficial rather than bureacratic/stifling to the developer. "
Interesting ( but the reverse of what I meant to say!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.