my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » OpenSkies --- interesting...

Author Topic: OpenSkies --- interesting...
Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-31-1999 12:55 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, just wanted to point you to this site I stumbled over. A few have touch on the concept before (open-sourced sims). Check out:
http://www.openskies.net/

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 01-01-2000 08:03 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila,
This looks very much like what Spectre (I think) had in mind but sadly the site as yet does not offer too much in the way of code content.

Anyway, while we are on the same subject! Over the last few days I had intended to get to grips with a few of my sims but I got distracted by ... Startrek Command. Don't laugh
It's good fun although the campaign is not too good. Anyway, what is interesting about it is that there is an API. It's for Visual C++ but it does work and I have amended one or 2 missions.
Wouldn't it be great if Flanker 2 or other sims had an API. I sure would love to tweak F4 a bit .. so I can win!
Best wishes for the year to you and keep those ideas you conjure up flowing!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 01-01-2000 09:06 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Dave, best wishes for 2000 and beyond to you as well... :-)

Yes, an API for Flanker would be great. A return to the desktop for the front-end, standard functional Win UI and a programmers interface spec. I believe that would be a nice recipe for longevity! Imagine adding the DLLs for a new aircraft, say --- leaving the FL/ED team to work on heavier stuff in the sim core (like theatre modelling, graphics, optimizing, AI, comms, etc.)

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vector
Member # 463

posted 01-02-2000 02:48 AM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe, it's called Starfleet Command and yes it is a good sim. I've fooled around with the demo a bit, tough as hell though.

------------------
-\/ector, Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 01-02-2000 05:24 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
StarFleet Command ! I knew I was going mad!
BTW It's not bad as a shoot'em up but the campaign lacks finesse. Try being a Romulan -now, that's hard!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.