my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » View panning control & hardware limitations

Author Topic: View panning control & hardware limitations
Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-31-1999 10:44 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm very interested in more carefree input methods for panning. Unfortunately we have been limited to 4-way (8-way) discrete hat-switches too long.

I imagine using the actual mouse itself for panning at the same time as using a joystick can be cumbersome (impossible if you have a throttle as well). The goal is to be able to pan around without effort while maneuvering the aircraft. We need an analog thumb control for this! [Any hardware developers listening?]

Although I haven't had the chance to try it, I'm very interested in hearing from people that have 'trackball on throttle' (mouse emulation). Do you use it for panning control?

Hypothetically, would an analog pressure sensitive hat-switch be better?

PS. For those with programmable joysticks, I recommend moving the panning controls as near as possible to one of your thumbs in the normal grip position. Usually panning is assigned to the hat-swith on the top right of the joystick --- a very cumbersome position on most joysticks. (I use the latter for aircraft trim and radar slewing).

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gel214th
Member # 961

posted 12-31-1999 02:17 PM     Profile for Gel214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We could perhaps all invest in those new 3D HMDs.

I made a post about them to the Flanker mailing list, I'll see if I can find it now and repost it here.

That's really the only realistic way to get good Panning, and in my view, good SA in Padlock views in simulations.

The more sims that work WITH the HMD manufacturers and include support for head tracking and these HMDs out of the box, the more likely that these devices will hit the mainstream.

If Microsoft includes an HMD Head Tracking Standard API in their Direct X7..or perhaps DX8..then hey..it will possibly be close to a sure thing :-)

------------------
-Gel
214th Annihilators
http://www.214th.com/flanker2

Posts: 135 | From: Trinidad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 01-01-2000 05:51 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can almost feel the headaches coming on already...
Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.