my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F/A-18 and F-15E whats the difference? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: F/A-18 and F-15E whats the difference?
Hevyg
Member # 1830

posted 01-09-2000 11:42 AM     Profile for Hevyg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SR-71 = "Strategic Reconnaissance-71," yes? As in the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing that was stationed at Beale AFB.
Posts: 120 | From: Puget Sound | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-09-2000 12:55 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
please answer this for me all might beings,
What did the YF-17 evolve into or it's basic design turn into. if you guys can answer that, i will be proud

------------------

Armchair Aviator
Member # 931

posted 01-09-2000 01:42 PM     Profile for Armchair Aviator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YF-17 was the basis for the Navy F/A-18. Though it lost the AF LWF competition, the Navy liked the twin-engine design, and Northrop teamed with McDonnell Douglas to navalize the aircraft.

The resulting F/A-18 is almost completely different inside and out however. While the general layout remained the same, the F/A-18 is completely redesigned for carrier ops.

Armchair Aviator

Posts: 502 | From: Forest Hills, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bogey
Member # 998

posted 01-09-2000 11:20 PM     Profile for Bogey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard that the F-117 got it's "F" because it would be harder to get AF pilots to fly something that did not have the fighter designation. Pretty silly though, and I doubt it...

Instead of correcting the president when he switched the letters, they changed the designation altogether. Pretty stupid...

------------------
Pushing the edge of the envelope...

Posts: 339 | From: West coast of Sweden | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cinders
Member # 403

posted 01-09-2000 11:45 PM     Profile for Cinders   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The F/A-18 was to replace ac from both the fighter (VF) and attack (VA) communities in the Navy (as well as Marines VMF and VMA). Hence, there was no way it could have been called just F-18 (major affront to the attack community) or just A-18 (ditto to the fighter jocks). It's designation had to have both F and A, ie F/A-18 or A/F-18...the fighter guys screamed loudest and hence the F/A-18 designation won. Call it politics or pecking order as you may but for many years VF was top dog in the Navy. With the demise of the Tomcat coming, VF has lost some of it's clout.

Similarly in the AF, there has existed a so called 'fighter mafia'. Probably the biggest reason there is no F/A ac in the AF. The F-16 as stated several times above was in fact designed from the start as a light weight, low cost, clear air mass, day dogfighter, Sidewinders and gun only. The whole LWF was forced down the AF's throat because of soaring costs in the F-15 program. They wound up liking what they saw to some extent, and made the ac grow to other weapons. Around 1979-82 there was talk of a dedicated A-16 for the CAS/BAI role, including a flyoff between the A-10 and 'A-16' (several F-16 A,B and C ac done up in the Charcoal Lizard paint scheme, aka 'pickles' and Euro-I). The fighter community didn't like or want the attack/CAS role or the green/olive/gray paint scheme or the A-16 designation. As Kurt stated above, avionics improved to the point where the standard F-16 could do what the proposed A-16 equipment would have done and hence, the F-16 picked up both roles, fighter and attack, but retained the pure F-16 designation (and paint job!).

On the FJ Fury designation, that is from the old system the Navy used, which included a company designator.
examples: AD Skyraider A=Attack, D=Douglas
AM Mauler A=Attack, M=Martin
A3D A=Attack, D=Douglas, 3=3rd attack ac from Douglas,
A3D-2 blah blah... 2=2nd variant of the previous ac
A3J A=Attack, 3 as above, J=North American

note that A3D was the Skywarrior and the A3J (later called A-5) was the Vigilante. Confusing, yes which is why the services were forced to the current system of designations.
Of course, every system can be confusing at times and is usually abused.

Posts: 112 | From: Lancaster, CA US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-10-2000 07:16 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Armchair,
I'm impressed, you are totally correct on that. hey, if i get anymore good triva questions i'll be sure to bring them up

------------------

Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-12-2000 07:51 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy,
Here is another one of my triva questions. What is the most expensive airplane not to go into production. by this i mean fighter aircraft.........on and for an added bonus, why was it canceled

------------------

JimG
Member # 153

posted 01-12-2000 08:39 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most expensive? Avro Arrow...was cancelled because it was not deemed effective due to Soviet SA-2 technology.
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-13-2000 02:13 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nope,
you guys can keep guessing.
oh and here is a hint, it is recent and it was meant for export

------------------

Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-17-2000 08:00 AM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come on you guys,
i'm getting bored here, did i stump you???

------------------

Zed
Member # 64

posted 01-17-2000 08:25 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A-12?

Zed

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-17-2000 09:56 AM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nope,
keep guessing!!

------------------

Zed
Member # 64

posted 01-17-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did it reach prototype?

Zed

Cinders
Member # 403

posted 01-17-2000 12:58 PM     Profile for Cinders   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about the F-20 Tigershark? Primarily to replace all the F-5's (export), turned out to be toooo good to let anyone else have but not good enough for the USAF. Also, I think most of the money came out of Northrop's pocket so it would have been quite expensive.
Zed
Member # 64

posted 01-17-2000 02:10 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was the one that the F/A 18E/F replaced & that fighter verion of the SR-71?...must be a US project?

Soviet would be something like the S-100, but that was a bomber...

Zed

Jason
Member # 1545

posted 01-17-2000 06:54 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cinders.....you are the winner!!

The F-20 Tigershark was the most expensive fight project never to go into production. To quote my web resource: "the F-20 was the largest commercial military project ever attempted. Designed for the export market, Northrop invested $ 1.2 billion in the F-20 before it was cancelled by the company after six years of sales attempts with no customer" So in part you were wrong Cinders, it was canceled because of lack of intrest, not because it was too good.

------------------

Cinders
Member # 403

posted 01-17-2000 08:47 PM     Profile for Cinders   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jason,

In a way I would agree there was a major lack of interest when the USAF wouldn't buy it, but there were still several AF's that would have loved to have had it but were not allowed to because of some of the F-20's performance. Taiwan comes to mind (20 years ago so could be a little off here) but if I remember right, J Carter cut them off so as to appease the communist Chinese. I think Jordan was also interested but that rubbed both the Israelis (and US) the wrong way so again, no sale allowed, not that there wasn't interest. So, yes and no on your contention about lack of interest.

Cheers

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.