my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Best Sim

Author Topic: Best Sim
kwaek
unregistered

posted 12-28-1999 07:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my pick would be :-

1) Falcon 4
2) F-15
3) EAW
4) Longbow 2
5) Hornet Korea

It was the realism of Hornet Korea that leads me into hard-core flight-sim arena. And I am seeing better sim every year. Hopefully this arena can grow in future.

IP: Logged
TroyAir
Member # 922

posted 12-30-1999 08:03 AM     Profile for TroyAir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My nominees:

1) "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" - 3 wars, 6 flyable planes, simple flight model, 2D graphics, fits on a single 1.44 Mb floppy, tons of fun!

2) "Air Warrior" - 3 wars, about 56 flyable planes, player-controlled tanks, flakpanzers, jeeps, and trucks, carrier landings, bombers, torpedo attacks, online flying that is just downright addicting!

3) "Jane's Fighters Anthology" - USNF and ATF all compiled together into a sim that is just downright fun to play for even the most unskilled sim pilot.

4) "EF2000" - Its as if I'm actually there...

5) "Hornet: Korea" - it could be the ultimate flight sim, if only the 2D graphics were a bit better. I love the video tutorial - I wish other sims had it.

6) "Flanker" - the ultimate hard-core military combat sim. Fly it, if you have the guts.

And the ultimate submarine sim: SSI's "Silent Hunter". Think of it as a flight sim in the water.

Troy

Posts: 78 | From: Tampa, Florida, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 12-30-1999 07:48 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My vote:

-Fighters Anthology (the best for its time)
-EF2000 (best campaign)
-JSF (best terrain and sense of speed - ever)
-Falcon4 v1.08 (the most tactical and strategic depth, but still too buggy)

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DaleReeck
Member # 1021

posted 12-30-1999 09:38 PM     Profile for DaleReeck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talk about a can of worms. They may not be the "best" sims, but they are the ones I played most often...

1. Falcon 4
2. F-15
3. EF-2000
4. Longbow II
5. Falcon 3
6. F-14 Fleet Defender

I hope to add Jane's F-18 to that list

Posts: 327 | From: Cheektowaga NY USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 01-01-2000 09:36 AM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, the best are relative to each one of us and probably how much fun we got out of the sim. The best will always be changing since we will always have some newer sims that are better than the old ones. Here's my top 5 "favs" and the era in which they were in and as an additional treat, my most dissapointing sims.:-)

Favs:
1. F4 (pres)
2. FA/USNF ('95-'98..tons of fun)
3. F-15 (97-98)
4. F3 (92-94)
5. JF2 & Chuch Yeagers (92-93)

Top Dissapointments:
1. USAF ('99)
2. EF-2000 ('96-good sim but I never liked it)
3. EAW ('99-excellent sim but I am a jet guy)
4. MS FS ('95 didn't run well on my 386)
5. All Novalogic sims...they weren't as good as the Janes USNF/ATF/FA series.

Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolf1
Member # 1597

posted 01-02-2000 02:51 PM     Profile for Wolf1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Falcon 4.0
Tornado
Hornet Korea
Aces of the Pacific

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.