my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » From some of the accounts....

Author Topic: From some of the accounts....
PG
unregistered

posted 12-28-1999 12:50 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've read, it looks like Janes f/18 isnt going to run well on my rig.(p2 350 128mram TNT2-ultra)
For use middle of the road to low end system owners its time to face the harsh reality.
We can no longer scream,"bad optimizing"!
I screamed it with MSFS-2000, Flight Unlimited 3, and with Fly!
But I need to shut up and put up. Put up the money if I want to run new sims.
Part of me wants all the goodies, and I want them to run on my system. But thats just no reasonable.
So for all of us who cry for realism, and photo-realistic scenery, we need to match our hardware to their software!
I for one want the sim designers to keep pushing the hardware to its limits, but also to try to stay reasonably close to the market-average system. Thats a fine balancing act I know.
Being new to combat-sims(Iam a GA-simmer)
I should probably go with Falcon-4 anyway.
Apparently there isnt much more offered in the new crop of sims that F-4 doesnt already have. And the price of F-4 is cheap to say the least.
Anyway, I would like to hear some performance feedback from those that have Janes new fighter.
Thanks.......

IP: Logged
LongJohn
Member # 939

posted 12-28-1999 01:09 PM     Profile for LongJohn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I feel your pain, PG. I feel your pain.

I've simply accepted the fact that, for a while anyway, I'm going to have to fly on less than max details.

I've resigned to the fact that when a sim comes out, odds are I'll have to pare the details down a little and suffer somewhat in FR. At some point down the road I'll afford the latest chip or video card or more memory (fill in the blank)...

I'm going into JF18 with less than minimum specs. I'll upgrade... eventually. When I can afford it.

I figure, learn the sim on an old rig, suffer through the patch process. Then, once the sim is nice and mature, ante up the coin for a power rig (well, one step down - to afford it) and enjoy it in all its splendor.

:-)

Posts: 316 | From: Hastings, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vector
Member # 463

posted 12-29-1999 09:16 PM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard that nowadays developers are very slopy when it comes to optimizing their games to use the full power of the computer. Back in the times of the Atari's, they had to learn to utilize every bit of processing power. Nowadays when you look at sims that need 600+ megahertz of computer power just to run acceptably, it makes you wonder. Are these new games really using all this power the best it can?

------------------
-\/ector, Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 12-30-1999 12:15 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Vector,

My thought is of course there is 'one' Atari vs. a whole slew of primary boards and VC's.
However; if a game company wanted to really blow my wow-stacks they would design a 'card cartridge' system that 'patched' through EPROM to a designated slot and so gave us a similar, imbedded, tailored video system to what Atari did so long ago.

No more excuses or false seductions with Video Card X or RAM/CPU 'quantity' Y. No more deciphering of the megatexel malarky.

Just an "If you want the best game possible, buy our _slotted_ engine for 120 bucks and we will promise to support the /hardware/ through at least x addons and y new games".
You could also _begin_ to see joint-marketing strategy where soft-only companies would choose to hop on a given, 'top end' engine-and-port which could further expand things say from 1 year of freshness to 2.

If a card works it works so to speak and the fewer 'optimizations' for each the more time and care you could spend on ONE.

Kurt Plummer

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.