my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » About some Janes older sims?

Author Topic: About some Janes older sims?
florrb
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 09:07 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm interested in Janes ATF, USNF, and Longbow sims. Are native Win95 versions still around? Janes no longer lists any of them on its website, just the 'Attack-Pack' which contains DOS versions or watered-down versions. Will these run on Win98? I was hoping they'd be reliable and smooth, while the newest sims are all pretty cranky. Janes ATF (DOS version) was fun on a pent120, but had choppy framerates (got lost in a move years ago).
IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 12-27-1999 09:30 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Florrb,

The good news is:

'Fighters Anthology'.

Is effectively USNF, USMC-F, USAF, USAF NATO and USNF-'97, all in one package.

For about 25 bucks, minus shipping from OriJanes.

If you've got a major computer dealer like CompUSA or (groan, dare I say it?) 'Best Buy' near you; you may actually find this title and others like IAF and Longbow in the discount bin for as little as $14.99.

From a rated XXX flight sim junky, this gets my "Great Game!" award...

Best Luck- Kurt Plummer

Wrench
Member # 639

posted 12-27-1999 11:48 PM     Profile for Wrench   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fighters Anthology is the best way to go...like Kurt said, it's all the previous games rolled into one.
Plus, there is a plethora of missions, lib files and etc avaiable (I should know, I built a *&%#load of the missions myself!)
For a survey sim, even a dated one, I think it's one of the best.
Here's a link to my ATFG/FA site: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5936
Wrench's Toolbox

enjoy!
Wrench
Kevin Stein

Posts: 22 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-28-1999 04:06 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think we sometimes forget that US Navy Fighters had the nicest graphics, the best missions, and the best FM of any simulation to date when it first came out. I wonder why we dont call Falcon Gold "a nice dated survey simulation package" For some reason Falcon 3.0 is considered more realistic than US Navy Fighters.

Till Su-27 Flanker and Eurofighter 2000 came out, US Navy Fighters was the most hard core of the sims to date. Now all of a sudden everyone goes from Falcon 3.0 to Su-27 Flanker on the hard core-o-meter. I think we skipped a step gentlemen.

US Navy fighters has gotten such a bad rep because of the latter addons and re-vamps that came years after the original sim hit the shelves. People beging to equate US Navy Fighters right beside ATF Gold as if they came out in the same month.

Judge US Navy Fighters on it's own and it was truely an awsome simulation in it's own time.

Sorry just venting a little steam

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
G.Blast
unregistered

posted 12-28-1999 09:26 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want to share my thoughts with you guys:
all janes games are great for me, but since they star to work with Pixel, the games star to loose inmersion, with USNF you could feel that you were in a real conflict, with all the video briefings, and the "not knowing what was next", I think that this aspect is lost in the games made with pixel, and another think that i donīt like is: jump in to another plane in a mision to complete it.
I know that missions when there is two planes agains all the enemy it isnīt real, that in real missions are many planes with many tasks, but jump in another plane...comeon.
But the whole pakage of IAF and USAF is great and I like them (I had buy them), but I still like most the kind of gameplay that the others janes games like F-15 and WWII have, I only wish that F/A-18E has the kind of inmersion that USNF had years ago.

Envelope
Member # 275

posted 12-28-1999 11:42 AM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now I'm all excited too. But a question remains unanswered, "Will it run bug free on Windows 98?"
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Talon XBMCX
Member # 269

posted 12-28-1999 11:51 AM     Profile for Talon XBMCX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Im running USNF on Win98 no probs.

Talon

Dan.
unregistered

posted 12-28-1999 03:15 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Envelope,

USNF '97 requires a patch.

Dan

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-28-1999 08:12 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
-G.Blast
From what I've heard the immersion factor in Janes F/A-18 is very high. US Navy Fighters did give you a great sense of realism. The missions where varied and you could choose the best plane for the job. You also had a limited ammount of planes from which to work with, as with missiles. If you didn't successfully escourt the cargo ships to their destination, suddenly you are on mission 27 with 3 Pheonix missiles left.

I actually liked using the A-7's on missions, cause if you lost your aircraft, but managed to the complete the mission, no big deal. I finished both the Ukranian and the Kuril island Marine Fighters campaign.

Lets not forget the SEAD missions. There where not to many of them, but it was the first simulation where SEAD missions truely became of age.

-florrb
I'd actually get USNF'97 if you can, instead of Fighters Anthology. It's more of a US Navy Fighters oriented package and I liked that sim better than the ATF or Nato Fighters packages.

florrb
unregistered

posted 12-28-1999 08:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help so far, but I've got more questions: What does USNF have that 'Anthology' lacks? Could you elaborate on the differences? I've seen older(late '98) postings on 'Janes Hangar' that USNF and ATF-Gold were having problems with Win98 (also Longbow), is 'Anthology" patched?
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-29-1999 03:16 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USNF'97 is just a nicer, easier to use package than Fighters Anthology is. Plus it has much better music than FA, and I mean much much better.

Fighters Anthology is a really big game, even intimedating to the average flight sim user, It includes 2 full sized games and 2 add on packs. If you want a much more managable format, I'd get USNF'97.

USNF'97 includes:

US Navy Fighters
Marine Fighters add on
Vietnam Campaign

Fighters Anthology includes all that and the ATF/Nato Fighters add on. But the inflight music isn't as good and instead of an aircraft carrier to choose your planes from in the campaign you get a Tarmac, so... Stick with USNF'97 for all your naval aviation enjoyment.

Drew Ames
unregistered

posted 12-29-1999 09:29 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Major Tom,

I've got Fighters Anthology, and I'm flying off a carrier in the Viet Nam and Ukrane campaigns, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-29-1999 05:48 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you go to select the aircraft in a campaign it shows a tarmac full of aircraft instead of an aircraft carrier. Kind of annoying IMHO.
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 12-29-1999 06:45 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've owned both and I have to say anybody would be crazy to get USNF over FA. FA has got so many more campaign theatres and aircraft to fly. There's no comparison. FA is the grand culmination of ALL the Jane's USNF series sims, in one neat package.
Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aaron
unregistered

posted 12-29-1999 07:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree, FA is the best of the bunch because it IS the bunch, all the previous sims from the DOS USNF on to the ATF Gold and the Nato and Marine add on's.

I've had FA for 2 years and since I played mainly in multiplayer and didn't go through all the campaigns in single player, I didn't realise till a few weeks ago that even the old USNF video briefings are there! And yes if you do the USNF campaigns, you select your planes off the carrier deck.

There are over 100 pages of missions (hold the left control-alt-shift keys down at the same time as you click on the Missions tab to get them all) over 100 planes to fly, a good multiplayer platform (go to Janes and get the 1.02 patch first tho!!!)

And I hear it is about $10 in some stores now, you don't get the nice manual but you do get alot of flying for $10.

And it works on machines as low as a P1-133 without 3d cards.

For what it is worth, I think the world needs a good FA update, 3d support, new missions, a few new and different planes and it could again be the best survey sim ever created.

florrb
unregistered

posted 12-29-1999 09:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How limited is the manual? I've got the manual forma my old DOS version of ATF. Is there a manual on the disk that can be read or printed?

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

Đ COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.