my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Mig Alley

Author Topic: Mig Alley
camryn
Member # 724

posted 12-27-1999 09:11 AM     Profile for camryn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
System:
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Viper Ultra 770 Video Card
96 Megs of Ram

I purchased Mig Alley a month or so ago and was very disappointed with it.

1] I could only get it to 'work' 2 or 3 times. Every other time it locked up.

2] The planes had an ugly greenish case to them. Light reflections off the skins were washed out.

3] When close to the ground I could see milti-colored squares.

I returned the game.

Anyone else had any problems with it?

I'm in the process of working with an Athlon 700 MHz processor (with 5 fans!) on a new ASUS K7M mainboard.

Eventually want to get the GeForce 256. I recall seeing something about the fact that Mig Alley is (or will be) designed with the GeForce 256 in mind.

Camryn

Posts: 12 | From: Niagara Falls, NY USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-27-1999 10:10 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've also recently purchased MA. I can relate to what you say about the aircraft graphics. The detail and texturing didn't impress me either. The terrain looks acceptable, in my view, though (V770). I haven't experienced the lock-ups you mentioned --- but I have just mocked about so far. What impresses me so far is the viewing system, the focus on padlock modes, SA tools, internal/external toggles, zoom etc. The designers seem to have had the right mind-set.
Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 10:27 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila, sorry to get a little off topic here, but can you answer 1 question about Mig Alley for me? I'm very impressed with the demo and will almost certainly purchase the game, but I'm curious - is the Mig-15 cockpit labelled in a language other than English, i.e., Russian, Chinese, or Korean? It's not a big deal and won't influence my decision much, but F2 has spoiled me - I'm sure you know what I mean!
IP: Logged
Talon XBMCX
Member # 269

posted 12-27-1999 10:33 AM     Profile for Talon XBMCX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your MA problems. Santa was kind enough to leave MA under the tree ... had a flawless install and no CDT to date. Graphics are awesome ... still tweaking for the best of detail and FPS ... gameplay is incredibly fun ... im enjoying this title immensly!

System Specs:
P2 450
128mb Ram
voodoo3 2000
Diamond Monster 300MX

Talon
Buccaneer Mercenary Company
www.xbuccaneersx.net

Tom McClean
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 11:04 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
camryn, I own an Athlon 700mhz computer and I don't have 5 fans. To be exact I have 3. My computer is constantly running at 702.3mhz. So I don't know why you need that many fans.

Good Hunting

Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-27-1999 11:17 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MA shows very few labels in any cockpit, generally you have to know the dials by position. In the Mig15 the only label I can make out is Alt --- ie. English. But as you can see very little labelling:

PS. The obvious thing I don't like about MA is the screen based interface --- a lot of clicking and 'back'ing. A Windows UI could do this nice sim better justice. But thats a general gripe I have with sims, not MA specific.

JA
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 11:28 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As usual, a prompt, informative reply accompanied by a relevant screenshot! Oh well, it's a nice-looking cockpit anyway, whatever the language. Thanks for the response!
Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-27-1999 11:42 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JA, as I was searching for the keys to zoom out (a nice feature, BTW) to take the screen-shot, the airplane was speeding up in a dive, until the airframe and cockpit started shaking violently --- I got so worried I had to reach for the stick to save the thing... (the sim actually simulates airframe stress til the point of ripping the wings off! :-)

If you enjoy dogfights and flying 'on the edge of the envelope', this sim seem to be one to have --- but a cautionary statement necessary here, still early days for me with this sim. But it looks promising.

JA
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 12:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree about the zoom feature - very smooth, and it doesn't affect the size of objects outside the cockpit. It would be a nice addition to F2! WWIIF, for all its other flaws and triumphs, had an absolutely incredible degree of freedom in terms of seating position and zoom within its graphically beautiful virtual cockpits - still the standard to beat in that respect. Again, thanks for the responses.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.