my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's Super Hornet First Impression

Author Topic: DI's Super Hornet First Impression
iCeb0mB
Member # 65

posted 12-22-1999 06:39 PM     Profile for iCeb0mB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well i got my hands on DI's Super Hornet and i was in mixed feeling's, first of all i havent played the game much and these are just inital feelings after experiencing like an hour of the game.

hmmmmm well first thing first , didn't expected it to be so graphically "low" i mean dunno but something here just doesn't fit's , panning inside the cockpit is sluggish and slow, When it comes to graphics i am really disppointed with DI , terrian in comparison to other now days flight sims is NOTHING

Darn i got on deck .. first try to takeoff , woah first five attempts and i sucked up five LSO's and Catapult ppl eeek !!! this is kewl man .. even i get engine failure after sucking them up hehe! the kewl thing i liked was that i had to warm up aircraft and than turn the engine's on not a big deal but a kewl added feature, not to forget that every possible knob and button you can see works woah !! even glare and contrast one's impressive

Tried taking off in night WOAH WOAH WOAH !!! whole thing is changed turn off you night vision and all you can see is glare from LSO and other crew member's signal's and runway lights .. besides the occasional light by the thunder i was spellbound and was only looking around the carrier for a while hehe

While coming to landing sense of speed is simply awesome darn that carrier came towards me faster than nething and before i knew i had to abort the landing nearly missed another F18 on cat sheeeeesh that was a close one

I strongly disliked DI's decission of leaving the option of "mapping" the control that give us ( limited ppl who dont have dedicated HOTAS ) to very limited options , i was well adjusted to my stick mapping in f4 and was having loads of fun ( button's are preprogrammed to perform a function and i have to change that desired key to desired fucntion in the mapping screen )

Landing on land was fairly easy ( when i compare to f4 it was piece of cake ) again i missed terrian here except for runway lights and a building or two there was no way of telling that this is an airfield , sheeesh !! seem's to me that only activity zone i can find till now are either carrier or my target (or nething that comes in way to stop me)

aircraft responds to controls very well tried to takeoff without a CAT ( havin a catapult incharge in my exhausts ) and i was welcomed by a nice stall and crash.

Plus: awesome carrier experience till now, awesome interactive cockpit, kewl new weapons to play around with

sounds are okay i guess, good touch is that you can hear yourself like "gear up" , "arestor hook down" , "burner on" etc , AWACS got on my nerve's fairly well , havent tried LSO yet so cant much say

Cons: SLOWWWWWWWWWW movement in cockpit,lack of keyboard mapping,graphics (hell YEAH!)

Overall: i would still play this sim only for the heck of experience i have on carrier,and besides i have loads to learn so with time i may actually forget about scenery and conentrate more on radar and stuff

Posts: 451 | From: Pakistan | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluesy
Member # 1248

posted 12-23-1999 12:40 AM     Profile for Bluesy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hi iCeb0mB i have a few comment (my oppinion) to what you wrote

<panning inside the cockpit is sluggish and <slow

this sounds strange because i dont see it that way it runs perfect on my computer

<Darn i got on deck .. first try to <takeoff , woah first five attempts and i <sucked up five LSO's and Catapult ppl eeek

ohhh yeah this is gooooooood

<not to forget that every possible knob and <button you can see works woah

okay i found one to the right oof the RH ddi that dont work

<I strongly disliked DI's decission of <leaving the option of "mapping" the control <that give us ( limited ppl who dont have <dedicated HOTAS ) to very limited options

okay i have a hotas so i see no prob. there and i have tried to use the keys until i find out what to have on my hotas and i thing its okay made exept for the view panning where you have to use the >alt< key because the saitek x36 dont like it

<Landing on land was fairly easy ( when i
<compare to f4 it was piece of cake )

okay remember that this is a carrier based aircraft that can fly slower that the F16 and it has a stronger gear so its more forgiving with a hard landing, and i have tried it out just to see how much it can take and i have destroyed some gears, just remember to set the difficult all the way up.

< again i missed terrian here except for <runway lights and a building or two there <was no way of telling that this is an <airfield , sheeesh !! seem's to me that <only activity zone i can find till now are <either carrier or my target (or nething <that comes in way to stop me)

when you get some of the other arrears you will see more aircraft on ground and more buildings, i was at a place last night that had 5 or 6 buildings and at least 20 aircrafts plus a few choppers flying around and this was on my way to the target.

<sounds are okay i guess, good touch is that <you can hear yourself like "gear <up" , "arestor hook down" , "burner on" etc.

this gets irritating in a few hours

Dennis

Posts: 40 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
iCeb0mB
Member # 65

posted 12-23-1999 02:10 AM     Profile for iCeb0mB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i am running on Cel 433a , 128MB Ram , Diamond Monser Fusion 16MB AGP ( Banshee )

i am talking about panning while in 2d ( F1 ) view virtual cockpit ( F2 ) move's like a breeze here too

ice out

Posts: 451 | From: Pakistan | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluesy
Member # 1248

posted 12-23-1999 10:13 AM     Profile for Bluesy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im talking about the 2d (F1) i never use the virtual cockpit (at least not yet) and i have no prop. there i run on a

cel 300a @ 464 (sometimes even faster)
128 mb ram
tnt2 ultra

Dennis

Posts: 40 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Banzi
unregistered

posted 12-25-1999 10:37 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Just a follow up note as the feedback to DI`s Hornet is now starting to come in. In a word dissapointed, after a few short hours only so far. But a blessing that we did not have to have all the pre-hype launch that went with F4!! All I can say so far is that DI`s Hornet makes Janes F15 look good, roll on the group who can take EF2000, and upgrade it with out making a hash of the whole thing.

Time out

Banzi

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.