my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F18 Hornet Korea or DI`s Hornet ?

Author Topic: F18 Hornet Korea or DI`s Hornet ?
Boxcar
unregistered

posted 12-21-1999 11:39 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I`m wondering outside of Carrier Op`s wether Hornet Korea stands in there with DI`s Hornet. I booted up the old Korea Hornet with glassy FPS and really enjoyed it! Some one tell me why DI`s Hornet is better!

Boxcar

IP: Logged
Vapor_131
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 12:18 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are the obvious reasons like little guys running around the deck. Added to the fact that you are flying the newest fighter the Navy has to offer. You get weapons like the JDAM and JSTOW. Newer graphics, better FLIR. Ya know the basic better graphics. A highly detailed sim, in the carrier ops part of it. These and more are what make DIs better than Hornet Korea. But from what i have been reading, Janes F/A-18 is going to out do DIs Super Hornet by a lot....adding to the fact that Janes has always been straight forward with what is going on and DI hasnt. DI hasent even updated their main website in almost 2 months!! Anyway, sorry for that deviation, those are the basic reasons (plus some that i have probably missed due to the fact that i havent gotten the chance to fly the latest version of it). I have only flown the Alpha version (at an airshow) and it was pretty good, considering...it even had better graphics than Korea at that time so that says something at least... well, thats my take on it, anyone who wants to add or comment on my observations can be my guest.
Ken Wright
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 11:27 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought I might add a few points here as well.

SH has probably quite a lot to offer for those who are prepared to dig, i.e. if you fly a night mission boy is it black!! and do you need that night vision, but if you observe what's going on on the ground it's pretty atmospheric, what with flashes from artillery/apcs etc. The sight of tracer lazily arcing up into the sky, coupled with the excellent sound of distant automatic fire makes it feel like it's straight from a CNN news clip.

The graphics are pretty dull and retrograde by today's standards, and there are some NASTY bugs, i.e. returning Hornets apparently landing with hooks down, gear down, flaps down on an invisible carrier!! I've also managed to land my Hornet with the full length of it overhanging the briney.

I too will probably buy Jane's effort when it is released over here (UK). But I personally feel more involved with this than I ever did with Hornet Korea.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers
Ken

davez
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 01:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
a little bit off topic: how did you guyes handle the stick problem? I have a very jumpy stick. It is said to be a bug in the game.

help is apperciated

dave

BLACK ANGEL
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 01:47 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is your joystick connected to "noname" sound card? If I connect my joystick to a "noname" sound card it does the same. If I connect it to Creative Labs one, it is fine.
Ken Wright
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 02:46 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, I've got a jumpy stick as well. I have a Saitek Combo attached to a SB Live card. My Saitek also seems to track to the right (using the latest Saitek drivers) unless I set the whole thing to read as a CH Flightstick Pro, but this seems to happen in F4 and Flanker 2 as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Ken

Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 12-22-1999 02:53 PM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ken - I've owned my X36 combo for about 2 & 1/2 years now, and what you're describing isn't new.

Spikey stick response - I don't think there's any alternative than to open up your stick and clean and lube the pots.

Centreing roblems - go get CTFJ from http://www.stickworks.com.

Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ken Wright
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 05:05 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice one Smeghead. I'm downloading as I key this in now. I've my combo for about 1.5 years, and I'm thinking of getting the Suncom outfit. Any comments?
Thanx again
Cheers
Ken

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.