my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » demos late release

Author Topic: demos late release
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-21-1999 04:21 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anyone else remmember when demos where released a few weeks before the programs came out .in the uk we have a demo of usaf which is as far as i know not out yet in uk this seems to be first for a long while. was a time when you looked at demo and made up your mind on final product , di sh demo came out here about a week ago ,is it out anywhere else yet .. have a good xmas ..tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vapor_131
unregistered

posted 12-21-1999 12:35 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Im in the US and I havent seen any form of a demo for DIs SH and its driving me insane!! These people need to kick something out to us in order to keep us interested. If they think mistery is going to draw us nearer, guess again. This is the exact reason im going with JF18, they are open about their product and give detailed info on what is going to happen. DI on the other hand hasnt updated its page nearly over TWO MONTHS!! So if anyone can shine a light on the subject of WHERE IS THE DEMO, then please do.
IP: Logged
Judge
unregistered

posted 12-21-1999 01:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Which would you prefer; developers spend limited resources putting together a demo, or developers instead devote that time and money to making a better product? They're in a no-win situation, aren't they? Some people bitch and complain if their pet feature isn't included, others bitch and complain if they don't release a demo.

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-21-1999 03:04 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
was,nt bitching judge,i dont think there is some kind of conspiracy just i remmember playing demo of tornado months before release, the demo of super hornet came out about three weeks after the program was released,the demo of usaf is out here now and after trying it and reading posts i do not think i shall bother buying it,looks good runs smooth but seems to drift thru air at the speed of hot air balloon now if i had not seen demo i would probably have went out and bought it when it was released, you can read all the posts and magazine reviews but until you get eyeballs mk 1 on the program yourself you can not tell if you are going to like it or not , how many times have you got program home loaded it up and wondered if you have got the same program reviewers where talking about i think demos are a good deal for consummer ...good luck tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vapor_131
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 12:22 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was my exact point. I am only saying that it is a good Public Relations thing for them to kick out a demo....im not talkin about something made up just for it. All they really have to do is take a single mission that they have already created and just put it on the net for us to try out.
Pezza
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 12:31 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep!

I usually won't buy a product of any kind unless I can perform some sort of test to make sure I'm going to get something decent!

the only game I've ever purchased without playin' the demo is F4, I don't think SH
has the reviews to be an instant purchase.

Cheers

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-22-1999 04:22 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Didn't we already get a superhornet demo? It sucked raw eggs, unless they make a new demo that knocks the socks off me, or the reviews are really really really good, I'm not buying the game.

Oh wait, I cant buy it anyways. Silly me, it's too much effort to release it in the US. Pitty, looks like I'll have to settle for that horrid janes sim

Come April, DI's gonna wish it hadn't missed the boat in the US of A.

DI should have released a demo last month by all accounts the programers have been sitting on their butts for 2 months while the fully packaged games sat in storehouses.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-22-1999 12:03 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually they did release a demo, but only in Europe, and they charge $50 for it. ;-)
BLACK ANGEL
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 01:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there you go Blaze
Ozias
unregistered

posted 12-22-1999 11:20 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the demo Major Tim is referring to was a work in progress demonstration for last year's E3. It was not even alpha, and it was never intended to be publicly released, it slipped out through the back door as it were.

Therefore basing your opinions on this demo is a bit unfair.

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-23-1999 02:11 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you deny the graphics look THAT bad?

Seriously, graphics wise, it's the exact same deal as in any of the screenshots out there. Get up to altitude and it looks just like any of the higher up shots. The down low stuff (the shots no one from DI wants you to see) looks like crud in the demo, so I can only assume it looks that way in the real game.

I think that graphically, this game has more or less pre hornet korea graphics. EF2000 at higher resolutions with a nice 3dfx update would look better than this sim.

The view system is also horrid from what I've seen. Can anyone dispute that?

Maybe the powers to be are making DI test Super Hornet soley in the UK to see if it even deserves a US release. The majority of the American video gaming public buys flight sims based on how pretty the box looks and how good the screenshots are on the back of the box. The majority of those people return such games when they find out that the graphics on the back of the box dont quite match what they see in the game.

I think if DI where to release a new demo, it would be the same one with scaleable resolutions and no time limit.

The Janes team stoped working on their sim a few short weeks ago. I'd hope for a demo in a few more weeks. The DI team has been sitting on their butts for two whole months while their publisher was mulling over what to do about the game. DI is hiding something about the quality of their game, that's for sure. Titus may choose to cut their losses by getting rid of as many copies as they can in the UK. Afterall, like the guy from DI said, it's costly and takes a while to advertise in the US market.

It may eventually prove to costly for Titus.

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-23-1999 02:20 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Official Super Hornet Demo

Get yours now!

Now only $50 in the UK!

Demo Includes
-A Few Canned Missions For Your Enjoyment
-Instant Action Generator
-Limited Multiplayer
-Fancy Intro Video
-Bad Graphics

Soon To Be Released Full Version Includes
-Dynamic Campaign
-Semi Powerfull Mission Generator
-New Combat Areas
-Full Multiplayer Options
-A Couple Of More Videos
-Same Bad Graphics

All this can be yours if you buy the same game twice!

Vapor_131
unregistered

posted 12-23-1999 11:33 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is the exact reasons I have personaly chosen to buy Janes' F/A-18...better graphics and the fact that they arent holding anything back from us.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.