my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's Super Hornet Demo released!

Author Topic: DI's Super Hornet Demo released!
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-18-1999 10:54 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In the UK it is....It's in this months PCZONE magazine(Jan) along with F2,USAF demos.

Tracer

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-19-1999 11:22 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you gonna put it on the web or what?
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-20-1999 12:33 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Blaze i don't have a web site.
The last time i uploaded to a server was the first Carmageddon demo(i uploaded it to "The carmageddon Fan Club"(ICQ))and it took nearly 5 friggin hours!-26mb demo.56Kbps
Man, it's faster to download than Upload UK-USA.
Once again sorry guys.It's 28.8MB in size.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-21-1999 08:49 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I'd offer the webspace, if you suddenly feel the need (hey, just split it up ;-).
Or have a look into the files, maybe you can cut out a stupid movie or such. ftp://1st-blaze.euhost.com/incoming/

Blaze

And btw, sure downloads are going faster, cause 56k modems have a max upload rate of 33.6k.

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 12-21-1999).]

Crashman
Member # 827

posted 12-22-1999 01:44 PM     Profile for Crashman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you sure that it is a Demo of DI's Superhornet? On the PCZONE website you can find the Falnker 2 and even the USAF Demo but there seems to be no F18 Superhornet Demo.

Crashman

Posts: 62 | From: 99762 Niedersachswerfen, Germany/Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-22-1999 02:13 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crashman,It's on the PCZONE CD that comes with the January mag,Raz-DI said that it would be released to the Mags first-then after they had their "exclusives" then it would go general release.Hence why it isn't on the Zone web site?
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-25-1999 07:02 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Blaze,But there is no FMV just *one* big file-Data1.cab-which is 25.9mb and can't be split :-(
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-25-1999 12:14 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Copy, no FMV. Sure you could split that cab file but after all it's not worth the hassle.

Could you tell us what the demo has to offer?

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-26-1999 09:01 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The demo is the same "infamous" 2min one that was sneakly released?
Although with *no* 2min time limit ;-)
There are(i think) 3 ground targets that are marked red on the MFD-priority targets and there is an insane amount of AAA around them(which is fantastic to watch as it snakes about the sky towards you-and is deadly accurate!)
I think in the demo you are supported by an A-10 or two? as i'm sure i saw a couple of Mav's lauched at some AAA?
Anyway, infinite weapons but no indestructible plane-which you *will* find is very destructible ;-) hits from the AAA will knock out an engine/s,HUD,radar etc.
One cool feature is that you *can't* release CBU's at *any* speed-i was trying to do a dive bomb attack so the AAA wouldn't have long to sight me up! and Bitchin betty started up with "overspeed" so i tried it level attack and it done the same no weapon release *cool*
Plenty of air targets: SU's,helo's and some real good dog fighting-the AI's a b*tch to shake of your tail when they are on it.
Missile launches are not a case of "launch and it's dead"it takes a sec or two for a lock on the HUD to appear(acquire is good the aims gimble limit has been modeled which breaks lock if the plane is tight turning(target plane)misses are *very* frequent.External damage modeling is not done apart from smoke from a damaged engine-no bullet holes.FLIR spool-up/engine spool etc is modeled.
Camera views:weapon view,external view of plane/target and usual others except no wingman view,incoming missile padlock/threat-big downer that is:-( all you will hear is "your pilot voice" saying "It missed me!!" "He's got a lock on me!" but other than that you don't know if your going to be hit by a missile until your hit....He talks over a lot of cockpit warning sounds.I def think there should be an option to disable the pilots voice?
1024x768 max regardless of card/no special features ie Bi-Tri filtering,Anti alaising just things like, missile trails,lens flares,smoke steam affects(Big CPU hit that is in the full game on a carrier deck)
and specular highlights 16 buttons to click on/off.Model detail goes on a slider basis from low-high.All other objects "pop-up" is controlled via another slider.Game difficulty(AI)is (you've guessed it)*slider* based from 1-12
Visual range is "up to" 22 Nautical miles(viewing)Micro-texture detail 1-10(which i think is smoke/steam/trails?(CPU hit)
"Uses 3D Hardware sound" box.
No FFB joystick support
But *full* HOTAS support.
The one thing i have not saw a post about is the rec specs for the game which is 128mb and as i said earlier it *needs* it.
I played the full game on carrier deck with F/18's taking off with steam blasted of deck by the launches and i was getting horrendous fps drops with the detail sliders up full
That was on my custom built
PIII 500,128mbpc100SDRAM,V3 3000x2 AGP,Gigabyte mother board,7,200rpm IBM.
Granted it could be a driver prob as the game only uses Direct3D(i'm using a DX6.1 driver)?
Whatever.Well that's about it Blaze-sorry it's a bit long-hope it's what you wanted?

Tracer

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-26-1999 11:26 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhmm yeah, it's a little more than I expected, cause I do have the full game and just wanted to see what the limits of the demo are. :-)
But thanks anyway!

Which of the combat areas do you fly in? Since you say it's much as the leaked demo, I guess it's again the greenish country (supposed to be India)?

Microtexturing is (as far as I can tell) some graphical "noise" on the ground textures, to increase the sense of speed.

Blaze

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-27-1999 12:40 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to answer your last Question Blaze,I actualy returned the game as i will wait until the mission disk is released and buy the whole package then-i will be buying Jane's F/18 pure and simply for the "semi dynamic" campaign(or enhanced cellular logic campaign as it *should* be called ;-).
When the dynamic campaign is launched with DI's it will/should be excellent? But i'm not to keen on playing DI's just now by sorta "picking" missions here and there? i like a structure to my flight sims?
But hey-that's my choice no offence to anyone who has bought it-including you Blaze ;-))

Cheers
Tracer

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-27-1999 07:20 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I don't like the game either (in it's current state). No comment on your last line though. ;-)

What I will buy for sure is actually Jane's F-18, too.

Blaze

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.