my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Suncom Stick 'n Throttle Users

Author Topic: Suncom Stick 'n Throttle Users
Sader85
Member # 1426

posted 12-15-1999 09:55 PM     Profile for Sader85   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm looking for any other Suncom users who can actually get the darn Shared Program Interface software to work. I've e-mailed their tech support and that hasn't helped. I wanna get it working before i get JF18.

------------------
God bless the men of the USS Forrestal--"All Gave Some, Some Gave All"

Posts: 42 | From: Princeton, IL, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
zombie
unregistered

posted 12-15-1999 11:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am a Suncom user. I may be able to help you, but please be more specific, what exactly is the problem and what system (i.e., video card, sound card) are you using?

Zombie out.

IP: Logged
Crusader
Member # 530

posted 12-15-1999 11:54 PM     Profile for Crusader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm A Suncom user too. But didn't use SPI program. Here, you can try this site:
http://gremlin.sim-arena.sim/

Maybe Gremlin can help you out.

Posts: 43 | From: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spinoza
unregistered

posted 12-16-1999 03:09 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought suncom gear (talon and sfs throttle) from combatsim offer. It just arrived 3 days ago, so any help on programming it and using SPI would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone can share their key layouts for some games (F4 and F2 comes to mind)?

Thanks

IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-16-1999 05:12 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dont use SPI. It's that simple. Program the old fashioned way and make use of the program slots on the stick and throttle.

If you want to mess around with stick interface programs, buy CH Products or Saitek.

Suncoms where designed for shoot and scoot programing.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 12-16-1999 07:41 PM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Major Tom. I think the SPI stuff is better left alone. I recently ( about 2 months ago) started using the split throttle with my CH F-16 Combatstick. The throttle is really nice. The stick that comes with it looks great but I do not like it's feel. Where the Suncom really shines though is it's ability to program on the fly. Right now I have all four slots filled with a diferent game config for each. Any time I want, I can pause the game, push the program button on my stick and change/ add/ or delete key combinations for that particular sim. When finished, just hit the program button again and unfreeze the game ....then away you go! It's simple and effective and I love my setup! Another bonus is that the throttle looks and feels like the real F-18's!!

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sader85
Member # 1426

posted 12-16-1999 07:46 PM     Profile for Sader85   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys...

I think you're all right about leaving SPI alone. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that when I get JF18 and get it configured, I probably won't be flying F-15E for awhile.

I do like the F-15 Talon...i sent them an e-mail commenting that if they ever redid it, they should add the paddle switch at the base as in the real F-15E. My thinking was that they could make the paddle simillar to the boat/weapon selector on the throttle, allow it to switch between slots on the fly instead of having to press individual buttons to access the slots. Heehe, maybe they'll take my advice.

And maybe the sun won't rise tomarrow.

Good fighting all,

Sader

------------------

SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 12-16-1999 11:29 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sader85, IF u're connecting the Talon via the throttle, I believe u switch program slots via the throttle too. Correct me if I'm wrong though, as I use the SPI. If u don't connect vbia the throttle, then yes, use the manual button pressing method. Hope it helps.

BTW, can someone tell me why I should not use the SPI? Seems pretty okay so far

Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Talon XBMCX
Member # 269

posted 12-17-1999 11:55 AM     Profile for Talon XBMCX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SGAV8R,

The Talon/SFS Throttle work just fine with the SPI. I found the problem to be with the SFS Stick/SFS Throttle combination. I had buttons from the stick mapping to buttons on the throttle in slots 2,3,4. Slot 1 was fine ... but moving on really created some problems. To make matters worse, the SPI test showed everthing was programmed correctly ... but moving into the game was when everything got messed up.

I created a test profile and sent my findings off to Suncom's Tech Support. They validated my profile and basically said not to use the SPI to program the SFS throttle/stick. It was created by a 3rd party company, who is now gone out of business, and not to expect an update

However, upgrading to the Talon semed to have cured those issues. Im not having any problems now at all. The mapping seems to be fine.

My advice, use the SPI if you have the Talon. If you are using anything else ... forget it, not worth it.

Im writing my own SPI for the Suncom Talon/SFS Throttle HOTAS. Its about 75% complete ... will send it to you for Beta testing if you like.

Clear Skies,

Talon
Buccaneer Mercenary Company
http://www.xbuccaneersx.net

BTW ... I found Suncom's support to be very good. They have always answered my questions in a reasonable amount of time and have always been professional in their emails and phone conversations. I have nothing but praise for their Tech Support staff.

Sader85
Member # 1426

posted 12-17-1999 01:50 PM     Profile for Sader85   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talon--

Thanks, i'd be more than happy to beta test your program.

My failures with the SPI go like this:

I created a new profile for F-15E, and got all the programming through the interface done, when I clicked on "print" it showed the correct keystroke commands I had programmed, but when i went into "test" it just remembered my same keystrokes. I don't know if I screwed up somewhere along the line, but I realyl don't think so.

Thanx for the advice,
Sader85

------------------

Talon XBMCX
Member # 269

posted 12-17-1999 03:20 PM     Profile for Talon XBMCX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sader85,

If you wish Id be more than happy to test your script on my system. Feel free to email me ... Ill help anyway I can.

Talon
[email protected]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.