my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DX 7

Author Topic: DX 7
Overkill
unregistered

posted 12-11-1999 08:54 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, all throughout the different forums there is a common thread that in some way DX 7 is not to stable with some great sims, F4, MA, etc... What are we going to do when we have to switch to DX 7? Will MA eventually support it? I don't see how F4 will ever. Do we just stop playing these sims or what?
IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 12-11-1999 09:21 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think we should just NOT install DX7 till MS comes up with a patch :-)
Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
BLACK ANGEL
unregistered

posted 12-11-1999 09:52 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I own a Riva TNT v1. When I go to it's video settings, there is an option to use "DirectX 5" compability for older games. Is it what you guys talking about?
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-12-1999 07:06 AM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I read where the new Ge-force vid boards are designed for optimal performance using DX-7. I have it and have no problems. Don't have F-4 though, or MA...yet. Sounds like if you plan on upgrading your vid card you're going to need DX-7.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Overkill
unregistered

posted 12-12-1999 08:02 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tailspin,

Your comment about upgrading is exactly what has me worried. I have Voodoo3 right now and with F4, not too many are reporting problems with that and DX 7, but what do I do if I want some to move to D3D based cards with T & L support? I certainly don't want to give up F4. I am just now enjoying it.

I hope that MS will do a DX 7.1 that is more stable with older games.

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-12-1999 11:14 AM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I know what you mean. Seems like MS would be under a LOT of pressure from all sides(ie..game producers,hardware manufacturers,consumers, ect...) to get it right.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 12-12-1999 09:49 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys it's been like this EVERY time a new version of directx comes out. Some games that came out before the latest version just don't work well with the new version of directx. Old code and new code just don't mix.
Dan.
unregistered

posted 12-13-1999 11:11 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Overkill,

You should have no problems with DX 7 and your Voodoo 3 3000. I installed (in this order) my sound card and Voodoo 3, upgraded soundcard (SoundBlaster) drivers, upgraded Voodoo Drivers with the DX 7 install, installed all my "working" applications (Office, etc) then installed Falcon with 1.08. So far, no problems whatsoever. Sounds like it's more related to TNT cards.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Dan

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-13-1999 12:21 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You missed the point Dan. I share the concern of F4 compatibility with DirectX (running DX7) cards. I too have Voodoo (Glide) and it is still the optimal API for F4, but with upcoming DX cards eclipsing the VD3 (e.g. GeForce DDR) many may switch, including me.
On the other side of the coin Janes F/A-18 is being optimized for DirectX (DX7), so shouldn't be any problems there.

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolve1
unregistered

posted 12-14-1999 11:44 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have noticed ppl referring to f4 and probs with dx7. Is that why my machine (k7 550 w/128rm, v770 ultra and dx7) accesses my hard drive constantly when i try and run f4? my pII 333 w/v2 sli'd ran fine, i supposedly have better machine now but f4 sucks. it's really the only game i have any prob's with. fps are good unless machine is accessing hard drive (with is every 3 to 10 seconds) anyone wanna help me out?

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.