my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's Superhornet - A comprehensive review

Author Topic: DI's Superhornet - A comprehensive review
Waylander
Member # 1258

posted 12-09-1999 03:18 PM     Profile for Waylander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh what a week! Finally that blue-chip giant Hasbeen has pulled the plug on that dreadful game Falcon4. Even more news to make my heart sing... B172, Gunship and M1TP3 are to be scaled down to appeal to us!! And please let it not be a rumour, but that game F18 from Jane's that has those weirdo's drooling may be their last anorak sim. But even more encouraging is the realisation that these forums are being populated by more and more like-minded gamers who return any so called 'hard-core' sims to the store within 48 minutes.

Just for you I offer my complete and total review of DI's Superhornet (written within 12 minutes of purchase)

1 - This game sucks !!!

2 - This game sucks !!!

3 - This game sucks !!! I played for four minutes in some world called 'Russia' and there are no floating Medi-Packs. When you get damaged there are no mana points to trade. WTF!!!

4 - You start off in a place called 'carrier'. Loads of NPC's with cool looking lightswords but how do I get one? There are no levels and it doesn't look like you can earn extra weapons. I've studied the manual for at least 30 seconds and there's no mention of super neutron atomic blasters. This game sucks!!!

5 - What sort of race calls themselves 'wingmen'. This game sucks. Nine minutes of play and no elves, trolls or goblins.

This review, gamers, was just for you. Oh, and one other thing.... Go F**k yourself!!

Admin Note: Ummm, a little P.O'd are we, Waylander? Perhaps you (and we) could've done without that last invective.

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 12-10-1999).]

benno
unregistered

posted 12-09-1999 04:50 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
excuse waylander...he's obviously been sitting in the rain shining his i.r. torch in the air waiting for the "leaving i.p." call that never comes...time to return to jfacsu,me thinks.If you were wondering..we were at home due to cack weather.but you weren't!
IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 12-09-1999 06:33 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, wingmen are the weakest of all the chosen races.

They are artificial, but they sure dont have much inteligence. I think we should refer to them as A Wingmen instead of AI Wingmen.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Robbster
Member # 376

posted 12-10-1999 06:02 PM     Profile for Robbster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree. After 30 minutes of stick time with Superhornet, I'm not at all impressed. I figured the realistic carrier ops would be worth the money, but the limited aircraft, poor graphics and fact that the little men running around the deck look like stick men turned me off - bigtime! Superhornet along with Delta Force 2 are the biggest disappointments of 1999.
Waylander
Member # 1258

posted 12-10-1999 06:20 PM     Profile for Waylander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robbster... I think you missed the point
Waylander
Member # 1258

posted 12-10-1999 06:41 PM     Profile for Waylander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And for Admin... many apologies, but after hearing the news about F4, yes I was a trifle peeved.
Grizwalter
unregistered

posted 12-10-1999 07:35 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate to sound stupid, and while I believe your initial "review" was exceptionally well written Waylander, it actually went a bit over my head. I have never played F4, but it sounds as if you are happy to see it go.?. Why is the game being cancelled/discontinued? Secondly, are you this angry because one game really sucks, or is it that I have missed the underlying focus of your message? Again, I apologize for sounding dense, but I am not familiar with sims outside the ones I own, and I was somewhat confused, although enthralled, by your post.

Grizwalter

Grizwalter
unregistered

posted 12-10-1999 07:37 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then, upon looking over the responses to your initial message, I am confident I missed the point! (As did Robbster apparently.) Please clarify for those of us who aren't quite up to speed. Maybe you mean you love the game, but hate "hard core" simmers. (If so, I'm with you.) Anyway, let me know so I can stop feeling retarded.

Griz

Waylander
Member # 1258

posted 12-11-1999 05:03 AM     Profile for Waylander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was just a reaction to the slow decay of the 'hard core' sim genre. Who can blame developers for pulling the plug when there are an increasing number of posts on these forums from individuals who offer flaming reviews after one day of purchase and then, based on their extensive knowledge,influence others not to try the product. I love SH and can't wait for the dynamic campaign. Equally, I am drooling over Jane's F 18 and can't understand the need of some to trash products without giving them a fair crack.

If you frequented the old Falcon board in the weeks after Falcon4's release there was a sense of hysteria over the problems with the sim, some even going so far as to talk of organising collective law suits against Microprose. Yet the sim was ground-breaking. How other developers must have looked at this and thought. Firstly, do we want to remain in this genre and secondly, what do we do to avoid the flaming that Microprose are receiving. One outcome seems to be a desire to retain framerates but in order to do this something has to give and developers have gone for either graphics and an unpopulated world (F2) or downgrade graphics to allow for a full blown ground war (SH). I have bought both sims because I love the genre, but I feel SH will be on my drive the longest. But this is only MY opinion.

With a final reference to my original post. The future of sims is uncertain and it was written after HASBRO announced a 'toning down' of Gunship and M1TP3 in order to appeal to fans of other genre's. The reveiew was written from the perspective of one of these'mass appeal' gamers flying a sim for the first time.

Hope that clarifies my position...

Guz
Member # 912

posted 12-11-1999 07:58 AM     Profile for Guz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps the developers/distributors should put a big 'ol sticker on the box that says either "WARNING! Flight Sim" or "COOL! Flight Game" just to let the simple minded people know what they are getting into. Flight sims have always been more complex. They obviously require more thought and study to appreciate. But, simple minds don't work that way. They don't want to study. They want to play and just blow stuff up. Hell, they end up buying the sims anyway & freakout because they can't handle them or don't understand whats going on. Things like "WTF" and "I'am taking this back" get said. Then they get on these forums and bitch. Its unfortunant that developers would listen to these dips, but hey, they want their money too. The developers have even gone to including more scalability in the new sims so that the "game crowd" can play at the easiest level and the "sim crowd" can play at theirs. I guess that doesn't help because the retards (is it politically correct to use this term?) put it on extreme realism (not knowing what that means) and cry because the plane doesn't fly like it supposed to or some other complaint or dribble. Anyway, just an obsevation. Given the fact that develpers appear to be making more decision based on dweebie comments, guess I should be afraid, very afraid, that my highly detailed sims' days may be numbered. PS: How much do those console-thingies that you hook up to your tv cost? I wanna blow sh*t up! grin...

Guz (I wanna stay hard (core)!

Posts: 43 | From: Frisco, Texas | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-11-1999 08:20 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey waylander it only goes to prove the point that irony is only appreciated in uk i liked your first review and being a citizen of these septured isles i thought your last was very ammusing .. keep it up tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Grizwalter
unregistered

posted 12-11-1999 09:08 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you for the clarification Waylander. I tend to agree with you. My way of looking at it is that each game has its place in the market. I own FS98 and use it to fulfill my "hard core" simming need. Other companies have developed similar games like "FLY!" and Flight Unlimited, which are still strong sellers and lead the way in true "simming." Then there are the combat sims which always have a line to draw between realism and fun. Each game has its purpose, and both are valid. I like the sticker idea someone else mentioned! That way, people looking for simple "fun" wouldn't waste their time with a more advanced sim game.

Personally, I like both types of games very much, and always want as much realism as possible without frames dropping too low. I don't enjoy hearing insults about the less "hard core" games, even though they are not my favorites. I know this much...people who don't know much about true simming surely shouldn't run off at the mouth. And companies that do know what they are trying to develop shouldn't listen to a word they say. Just email them a letter saying, "Oh, you wanted 'fun'? Try Missile Commando F-18 Death and Destroy Kill Kill Kill, released this month." That would be that.

Thanks for the topic, and for the responses.

Griz

Aaron
unregistered

posted 12-11-1999 01:33 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Waylander,
I knew what you were doing and I don't even live in the UK, amazing.
I agree these "reviews" of a game by people who only have half an hour invested is a waste of time. Still (and I apologise to the management in advance) the reviews posted on most sites are just too positive. We would like Combatsim, Dogfighter, etc. to be our advocates, to tell the developers that we want solid sims. I like graphics, I like good flight models, I like depth and replay ability, but the major thing I want is a game that works both off and on line out of the box. Fun is too subjective, I think USAF is fun and F4 is work but I still play both about the same amount.

I know it is frustrating to read a positive review then come to the forum and read so many negative comments but we just have to learn to read between the lines.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.