my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » SuperHornet manual, worth the purchase?

Author Topic: SuperHornet manual, worth the purchase?
HellCat
unregistered

posted 12-03-1999 08:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this another "lean production" or do you get that good weighty feeling (like with F4 or F-15) when you grab the box? And is it spiralbound?

HellCat

IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 02:19 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a little mean and not spiral bound. That said the main manual appears to be quite ok but not in the same class as F4 or F2 but better than Mig Alley. All in all, a fair compromise althought the sheet with the keys on it is 1) Too small and puny- it's difficult to read and 2) is a little inconsistent. Some of the info is confusing for example, g is used in one place for landing gear whereas Print Screen is also referred to as the landing gear.
It is g BTW.:-

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 12-06-1999 03:24 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The manual could be a little clearer on some points - such as how the automatic carrier landing system should be operated. All it seems to do for me is fly to the carrier waypoint then fly back to the previous waypoint in an endless loop - the solution if course is to land manually

Also - given that there is no tactical reference database in the sim (something that was present in Hind, Apache and F16) a more detailed reference section would have been nice (rather than just the one page objects list).

I also agree with DaveB, the key chart is next to useless (think Falcon 4 Korea Map Quality) You need an electron microscope to see the text.

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-06-1999 03:42 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RE: Automated Carrier Landing.

It does work but it can take a lot of time and if you are low on fuel
In practical terms, manual landings are th way to go but if only I could it

Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 12-06-1999 04:56 AM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The manual is layed out in a landscape format. It is half as thick as the Tornado manual, about one and a half centimetres shorter in height and about half a centimetre shorter in lenght. The text is a little small than in tornado, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Tornado manual is 'far' more superior. The Super Hornet manual is explantion is particularly bad in its layout e.g you would expect the radio comms in relation to contacting the ship to land would be dealt with in the carrier ops section, unfortuately it is not. This info is dealt with at the beginning of the manual, in the section that explains the functions and switchology of the (UFCD) Up Front Controller Display. An other area which has been written badly is the area dealing with programming for bomb release i.e ripple, salvo and quantity.
All in all I not very impressed with the manual or the sim at the moment, but I need a little more time with it.

Thanks
Obi Offiah

Posts: 149 | From: London | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
shok
Member # 122

posted 12-06-1999 12:14 PM     Profile for shok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the UK version, are the units in Metric? Is airspeed counted in kph (vs Knots) and is alt in metres (vs feet)? Is British aviation metric anyway? I would suppose so but it is better to get an informed answer.

Or are the scales in Imperial units since the Super-Hornet itself is a US plane, and thus uses antiquated measuring units? (Flame suit on!)

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-06-1999 12:26 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
UK Aviation still uses feet and SH uses feet!
Over the mainland they are foot free and fancy free

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 12-06-1999 01:59 PM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know Dave, as long as we don't have to deal with "short tons", "Stones", "pints", "pecks", "bushels", Cubic yards", "grains" and last but not least, the all mighty "dram"! we'll be just fine!

You know, that right hand driver seat deal always puzzled me, no wonder you guys are "perfide Albion" citizens!

I can't imagine the RAF ordering F 16's:

"The bloody yanks positioned ye ol' tafer on the wrong side!" (speaking of the stick)

P.S. Do you guys really, I mean really, get into that BBC show "Upstairs, Downstairs"?

In New Orleans, while getting totaly plastered (college ), We used to watch reruns of it along with the "Are You Being Served" TV show and we would start laughing uncontrolably even though half of what was being said escaped us most of the time (that weird accent you folks carry).

Imagine Southern Rednecks trying to get the subtleties of English Humour!

What a riot!

Of course, we never remembered anything in the morning .

Why am I telling you this?

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-06-1999 02:18 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nick yes you can still watch reruns of shows like the on cable and personaly i think the raf should have bought the f16 a long time ago i have the distinct feeling this eurofighter is a racecourse designed by a commitee remember the tornado is only now becoming the aircraft it should have been from the start ps regarding bushels pecks ect it makes you wonder how we ever invented things like the jet engine ,radar,steam catapult, aircraft carriers, tv , radio,and about 93% of every thing else you can think of..keep the faith ...tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 12-06-1999 02:40 PM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony, do I detect shades of hostility here?

I hope not as none were intended .

As to "having discovered 93% of things", I'd revise my numbers if I were you but hey, the last thing I want to do is to get in a tangle with an Englishman... well not really, err... Rugby anyone?

Have a good day, how about that French team... Arsenal! eh eh eh !

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-06-1999 03:05 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nick, me ole copain!
Upstairs/Downstairs and Are U being Served?
My,my ! No wonder Tony D. was upset. I had to watch those 2 series when I was a kid. There was nothing else on but as for the accents well I'm from the North of England though I live in the South. Northern, Scottish and Irish accents have often been subtitled for the Yanks! Still, Southern State accents are modelled on Scots and Irish accents so there
As for metrication, well, Napoleon didn't quite win!

BTW Upstairs/Downstairs was made by ITV not the Beeb (as we call the BBC over here)

As for F16s we cannot bloody afford them! I also think the US might be a little wary who they sell them to! I suspect RAF pilots in F16s might be a little rough on the USAF, anyway the RAF likes to be in the thick of things mud pounding! (If only funds could stretch! The Typhoon will be a decent plane though (if it gets built).

Now I can forgive almost anything but .. Arsenal. Yuk!!! I am a Spurs supporter and the best thing about Arsenal would be to deposit them all on Mars so we don't have to hear/see/perceive the tw*ts.

I am always in stitches when I see quality TV from the US. Beverly Hills 90120,
McGuyver, Friends, and a long list of others. For years, the only thing I thought you could do in New York was dive for cover from Greeks cops (Kojak), overzealous ladies (Cagney/Lacey) and avoid Detective Sipowicz lest ye be smacked in face.
When I got to New York and went thru Central Park without worrying about my teeth America was never the same.
Cheers,

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-06-1999 03:12 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
indeed not friend nick, you have to understand us limeys have very ironic scense of humour hence things like monty python,and i know having spent much time in your fine contry in my youth its a type of humor not appreciated over there, any way re raf and f16 just spent some time on flanker2 you got to admit its a peach of a sim.havent spent much time on it i think here in uk we where hyped up because we where getting s/h first so i sort of looked on f2 as a consolation prize it came out the day we thought we where supposed to be getting s/h.anyway took of on first combat mission in f2 and needless to say got scragged pretty swiftly so i sat back and surfed outside views as the rest of mission continued the modeling of other aircraft is magic, f14 wings sweeping airbrakes working floggers using guns , seems like heresy but i think it looks better than f4 at 16000/1200.so now i think raf could get good deal from russians and go for a couple of hundred flankers, as i understand it they will sell anything now....have a good one...tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-06-1999 03:19 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nick,
Forgot to thank you for info on skyfix in F4.
As you said, worth the download.

Tony D.
Flanker 2's great isn't it?
I also prefer F2 graphically but prefer F4 overall for its sheer depth in most departments (including the bugs)

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.