my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Superhornet or Flanker 2? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Superhornet or Flanker 2?
Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-03-1999 02:04 PM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well,
seems I have missed the boat once again....No store within a fifty megaton nuclear strike radius of me seems to have either sim in yet.
But then on second thoughts thats maybe just as well...
I have , according to my wife exceeded my flight sim quota for the year, so as I was only intending to buy just one more sim this century...LOL....I think I will watch the drama unfold on combatsim.com and see what the reaction is to Superhornet before I make a choice out of the two.

So !...I shall eagerly listen to what you guys who have both have to say before I place that order...

As a matter of interest , is Flanker 2 out in the UK yet....and if not.When?

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-03-1999 03:29 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flanker2 has been out in uk for a week it came out the day we where expecting shornet it is well worth having, i was initialy dissapointed with sh but am rapidly warming to it, have only been on it couple of hours .....tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-03-1999 03:37 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Tony. I am starting to really like SH. It has real depth!
PS F2 is top notch - get both and Mig Alley too.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-03-1999 09:55 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So much for your quota this year. ;-)
leafer
Member # 6

posted 12-03-1999 10:25 PM     Profile for leafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony or Daveb,

I'd appreciate if you guys would explain why the initial impression of SH didnít impress you. And what warmed you up to it? Iím waiting for this sim but have no idea when itíll be here in the U.S. A little in dept review would be nice too. I Ďd like to here about flight modeling, avionics, and is the rain convincing?

Posts: 803 | From: Alhambra, CA U.S.A | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 12-03-1999 10:55 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

I was checking out the features of SuperHornet the other day, and I couldn't establish two things in particular:

1. Does it have a full scenario editor, a mission editor or none?

2. What flight recording/analysis capabilities does it have?

Maybe someone can help me out here.

SH looks to have paid a lot of detail to FM, avionics and carrier operations. Maybe someone can elaborate on what they think.

And how is low-level flight over micro-textured terrain? --- another interesting feature.

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-03-1999 11:27 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The latter is quite unimpressive (micro texture setting at max).
For the rest I have to fly some more. :-)

Blaze

Toecutter
Member # 436

posted 12-04-1999 12:09 AM     Profile for Toecutter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I`m castin` my vote for Phil but only if he can supply proof of domestic abuse by the spouse! In this particular case -can I suggest for NATO to take IMMEDIATE action and enter the conflict on ground of "human rights" abuses that we can describe for all involved parties to analize...Regardless of the outcome of the abovementioned "data-hunt" I feel as -opposed to my knowledgeable colleagues- that we leave the nuke trigger in the hands of our beloved Phil...Who else would know the amoount of pain...
Posts: 1724 | From: States | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 02:10 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leafer,
Sorry about the lack of detail.
When I started SH I just went into Quick Combat in the Barents Sea to get a feeling of the sim. What hit me was the land based scenery. In options I had selected 640*400 resolution (without thinking I might add) and just wanted to get straight into the sim without reading the manual. My expectation (quite wrong) was to see textured scenery a la F4 or F2. Wrong! The scenery looked like computer scenery - it was hues of grey with little detail. I thought yuk!
Anyway, graphics have never bothered me too much but I think I was surprised to see this in a new sim. Anyway, I tried out a takeoff on land and sea. On land, I got nowhere - had to read the manual to see what takeoff procedures were. I then took off and flew. Since the mission setting I use is 6 (you can set the mission setting to a numeric value in the separate config program) which looks like a medium difficulty setting. I found the F18 to be very maneuvrable although I never tried anything to difficult. I found it quite difficult to stall the plane although the bitchin betty will scream Stall at you. Anyway, carrier takeoffs. This is where SH began to warm on me. You have little men running in front of you on the carrier and to be perfectly honest I still haven't managed a flawless takeoff yet although I have managed to get in the air. I won't say too much more about this because I think you need to experience it but when I suggest you read the manual it's good advice.

Late last night I tried a dogfight. The experience reminds me more of F2 and Mig Alley. Very nice and youget a feeling of flight when a Mig comes screaming past you. Also, you can spoof missiles with chaff/flares and the SH tells you if your opponent missed. BTW the special effects ie chaff and flare look quite nice and detailed. Different shades of light are modelled and if you are looking into the sun you really cannot see that well in front of you. In a dogfight you get a sense of immersion from the sound but to be honest at times I found it to be just a little annoying.
The learning curve in cockpit is akin to Falcon 4. It will take a while to master the cockpit but the depth of the cockpit is excellent. One fault I made is forgetting to flip the master arm setting. (options allows this to be enabled automatically but for realism I opted to disable it and then forgot I did it - a nicely thoughtout idea IMHO where hardcore and non hardcore alike can choose what they like).

To be fair to this sim, I need a few days more to comment on avionics and flight model.
If you have precise questions I shall try to answer them but honestly the learning curve is a bit of a barrier in providing accurate info and I am always wary of judging a sim too early. A couple of extra comments. I will not be returning it I think it deserves a chance but I cannot forget my first impression of the graphics.

Worth the wait? Yes and it feels very stable which I think is good news in the long term for everyone. I have the distinct pleasure in thinking this is quality software. I do hope I am not jumping the gun there but when you have a clickable cockpit that surpasses F4 in functionality I think you have to be a little cautious.

When I have more to say I shall say it!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 03:57 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leafer,
More info for you regarding Landing (land based). I haven't managed carrier based
yet ! That's hard
Landing is quite easy - I managed it on the first attempt. 140 knots or thereabouts is when I noticed the plane really dropping.
I landed at about 115/120 knots. My comments about the graphics come into play here. It's actually quite difficult to locate the airport with these textures though I accept that my current gameplay settings may affect this. With good visual cues I'd say it would be extremely easy. I was just doing a land-based takeoff and land. Takeoff speed seems to be around 120 knots (if memory serves me right). Perhaps F18 nuts can tell me if the F18 has been designed with wing based lift in mind. Being a carrier based plane this would not surprise me in the least and this seems to be the case in the sim from what I have experienced so far so maybe the flight model is quite good. I don't usually manage to land a plane first time but recently I managed landing in F2 as well so I tend to think that in this area the difficulty may have been toned down for gameplay reasons. PS In F4 it took me about 8 weeks before I could land and I still have problems with a perfect landing ie no scraping, no damage and that's a year on.
BTW I didn't read the manual on landing so I haven't checked what DI are saying on this.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 04:24 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"You have little men running in front of you on the carrier"

Yeah and if you drive over them, they will eventually get sucked into the air intakes.
At least I always get an engine failure doing that. ;-)

Blaze

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 04:27 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blaze,
Fair point!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 12-04-1999 04:46 AM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave, tell me more about the graphic settings, what's the max available Res?

What is in the graphics menu, in other words, what can we control?

Thanks.

P.S. If this is one of those low res deals, it's hello garbage for me ... even though sucking deck hands in the intakes sounds pretty cool , any gore included?

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 07:57 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nick,
The max setting appears to be 1024 * 768.
I have a Viper 550 which supports higher and 17" monitor so I think that's as high as it gets.
As Tony Draper pointed out you have to use a separate config program to set the resolution initially.
Inside the sim you cannot change the resolution. By default I had 640 etc selected which is why I made my mistake. As for the other resolutions it's early days but crisp and clear are not words that come to mind when talking about the terrain. The other effects are so, so but Nick it ain't F4 or F2!
You didn't like MA well this is a lot,lot worse IMHO. That said, the cockpit is wonderful - very clickable and clear at all the resolutions. I am using 800*400 as it seems to be the best frame wise. The higher res doesn't give you the clarity you'd have in other sims. EAW/F4/Mig Alley.

I really want to like this sim but graphically I am afraid I think it is a step backwards. All subjective I know but I think over a period of time quite a few people will agree that the graphics engine lets down the sim.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 08:11 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nick,

Some detail for you.
Display
-------

Visual range (nm)
Microtexture detail.
Gamma level

Effects
-------

Afterburner
Clouds
Explosion effect
High Res FLIR Image
High Res Mav Image
High Res SLAM image
Lens Flare
Missile Trails
Night Vision Blindness
Shadows
Smoke/Steam effects
Spectacular highlights (? Don't know!)
Vapour trails
Water splash effect
Weather Effects

General
-------

G-Force effects

Model Detail
------------

Near/Far sliders for Carrier/Wingman and other objects (used of to adjust the distance at which the level of detail for each model changes). Sounds like bubble to me

Virtual Cockpit is also configurable.
BTW Mouse can be used to move cockpit around - a nice touch there!
Target selection can be done using mouse - also I like this.

Hope that gives you a good idea.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-04-1999 08:20 AM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Toecutter and Gentlemen,
(human rights! What are they?? ).Ha Ha ha.
The SUPER HORNET SAGA seems to be unfolding nicely.
I'm loath to admit but I am a bit of a sucker for the old eye candy.Christ ! you have got to have something to look at on a long flight, that,s one of the aspects I liked on old EF2000....Yeh I recognize that valley, there is an airfield on the other side of that mountain.
I'm sure pilots in the real world on low level sorties use landmarks....They certainly do where I live in Dorset.....They use the hill where my cottage is as a reference point.....Bloody Hercules and Hawk trainers skim the top of my roof at 200 feet.

Obviously I love the realism of the campaigns, but I think really love the build up to a conflict.....Starting engines....Taxi-ing as the dawn breaks over the countryside.....The ATC.Wingmen etc.
Planning the route.....Avoiding ground radar by hugging the terrain at 200 feet.Watching your wing men peel of on the "Battle go" command....Getting in there and kicking **** out of the enemy....and getting out quick, hopefully without half a wing hanging off.
The return journey....Including the cursing and swearing on a mid air refuel approach... ( God ! did that take a bit of practice).
Then finally that great satisfaction as you you recognize the the local terrain and you set up for finals...Drop through some low cloud.And there it is!!..The twinkling lights of the runway...Then a quick panic as you hope you have got everything set up..... Autothrottle set....Gear down.......A few bounces as you hit the deck...Airbrakes up......Brake shute released....Phewwwww !.....Clear the runway.... Engines off.. Then watch and listen to your wingmen ( or whats left of them) as they come in.......Yeh yeh !! I'm a complete nut I hear you say. But who cares... I,m not a real fighter pilot, just a musician with delusions of childhood grandeur.....Ha Ha ha. ( If I get back in one piece It,s made my day ).

At the moment I,m going through the tutorials on MS 2000....Phewww ! There is much more in there than I thought..Got my Private pilots licence, but failed twice on instrument pass...You have to take off in a Cessna. Climb up to 3000 feet (NIL Visibility )....Climbing turn to heading . Hold 3000 feet at 70 knots.Turn to heading 240 whilst maintaining 3000 feet , still at 70 knots ( just above stall ). Attitude indicator turned off....Then back to cruise, find the VOR using needles on nav 1....Over fly the airport.....Head out 240....Then make a B.A.R.B. course reversal and fly an ILS approach to runway 0.60...
Ironic eh?I can take out 5 mig 21,s in cannon only head to head over some God forsaken wilderness and I can't even hold the pattern in cloud over a 20 mile radius above a nice quite airfield.....There's a lesson in there somewhere people!.LOL.

Hey ! there's a new idea for a completly new flight sim..Some poor sad ***** like me cruising around Mt Rainer in a Cessna looking at the FU 111 scenery, when suddenly I spot 3 Superflankers who have inadvertantly strayed of course from their base in St Petersburg (obviously not brushed up on the their MS 2000 instrument ratings )..
Interactive ATC would then enable me to radio in to Seattle and a squadron of F16's could be scrambled, with all the fighter jocks ready for action....I could watch all the drama unfold from the cosy seat of my 182S without getting blown away...I will probably have a brunette sitting in the seat next to me (There's a nice one in the cockpit of the Mooney if you look closely ) , so excuse me if I miss some of the action.(hopefully be engaged in enough of my own..Love those autopilots).
When all the smoke has cleared, come over and buzz me.Just watch out for that jet wash, and I'll join you all for a nice cup of English tea back at Tacoma INTL.

Happy flying folks..Your ever enthusiastic, if not somewhat ecentric man in the UK....Phil.

PS..Don't take me seriously on the wife jokes folks, she really doesn't mind how many sims I have as long as I don't make her watch the re-plays or read Jeppeson sim charts in bed at 2.am in the morning...Mind you! As I once pointed out to her, "Be thankful it's not Playboy I'm reading".
Looking forward to hearing more about Super Horny.Oops sorry Super Hornet.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 08:34 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For more details on the possible settings, grab the help file for the Config applet from the LINKS page at my website. http://1st-blaze.euhost.com

Blaze

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 09:00 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phil,
I live in Windsor. We get traffic from LHR 27/90. And though they are up a couple of thousand feet the effect is the same ... for longer!!!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 09:01 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Correction 27/09 !

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

leafer
Member # 6

posted 12-04-1999 11:27 AM     Profile for leafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Daveb,

Thanks for taking the time and response to my question! I truly appreciate the detail in your posts. :0) Too bad about the graphics but Iíd give it a try when itís in the U.S.

Have a Merry Christmas and happy New Year.

Posts: 803 | From: Alhambra, CA U.S.A | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-04-1999 12:09 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
out of curiosity i just reinstalled di,s f16 and the ground graphics in that are very similar ,i liked f16 and only took it off when i binned my 3dfx cards i think sh runs at higher resolution but roads airports ect look about the same. super hornet is definatly a sim you have to devote some time to it does not hit you face the way f4 and f2 do but i have just spent a great hour taking out couple of power stations, low and fast with dumb iron.magic just like tornado,still having problems cannot find speed brake ,i assume a s hornet has one, had to do couple of hard breaks to bleed off airspeed for carrier landing.which incidently i find a bit easy hornet korea seemed a lot harder. anyway got to get back to moving some mud..leave it to the guys with hand painted helmets,silly call signs and short life spans to describe the dogfighting to you...good luck tony d

con
unregistered

posted 12-04-1999 04:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive got sh ,the graphics need doing up a bit but the game plays there, nice and fast, as for f2 and f4, just as good cant beat the graphics in f4but sh has the game play.

con

IP: Logged
Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-04-1999 06:05 PM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey If you guys want do some hard flying, try the instrument check ride in MS 2000(see my last post)..Thats about the 6th time I have failed the bloody thing..Jeez! That instructor is a hard man..Flew the whole pattern what I thought was right on the nose.
Instruments only, zero visibility..Even made a spot on landing...Still failed me on 5 points. Slight deviations off course.......
So all you top gun jocks out there. Try this one......Out of Islip NY Low cloud cover approx 500ft.Visibility about 300yards...Take off.Climb to 3000 ft turning to heading 300....Hold 3000ft and throttle back to 70knots....With attitude indicator blanked out turn to 180dg still holding 3000 ft at 70 knots....Then still in the same config turn right to 250dg......Config for normal flight and turn left to intercept airport using VOR Needles.....Once locked on fly parallel to runway on heading of 249dg at 3000ft......Head out to Locks VOR and on passing it turn to 193dg in a shallow descent in a BARB reversal....about a min later turn to 013dg still descending and connect the localizer at Islip at 2900ft turning into heading 058dg for approach......Keep an eye on the needles for the glide slope.....Flaps.and ride the beam down to the runway, which should appear out of the mist about ten seconds before you hit it...Making sure you come in right on the nose...Not too long ( Got failed on that last time).
Give it a whirl guys and if you can do that fist time you deserve either a real F16 to play with or a bloody medal....I,m going to crack this thing if it takes me a month of sundays.
What has all this to do with Super Hornet? I here you say......Absolutely bugger all, but it certainly is food for thought for all the guys like me who thought they were Baron Richtofen in a G suit.....Ha Ha Ha Ha.
Your man in the UK.....Phil

Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-04-1999 06:09 PM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Oops,
Last post should have read connect localizer at 1900 ft. Not 2900ft..A definate fail on that one.LOL

Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-04-1999 06:15 PM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Daveb,
So you live right in the flight path in Windsor eh.Friend of mine lives there. Can get rather noisy sometimes...Promise that next time I take the Concord out I'll cut the re-heat before I get over your house.......LOL
Phil.

JA
unregistered

posted 12-04-1999 10:41 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't seen DI SH yet but issues of dynamic campaigns and such aside, Flanker2 is hard to surpass for believable in-cockpit sensation of flight, and modelling of aircraft systems. It's the sim equivalent of a Hiwatt DR-103.
IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 01:18 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phil,
I like the Concorde - it has a better quality of drone! It's those damn Yankee 747's that take the biscuit

Ja,
I have F2 myself and yes it's good! Well, actually it's very good, heck it's superb!
However, SH cockpit is quite something too. The cockpit is even better than F4 IMHO and as I regard F4 as the best that's high praise. Unfortunately for SH I think they have made a technical compromise. Do we have a wonderful cockpit with crap terrain or a great terrain without a great cockpit? SH is the former whereas F2 is the latter.
Of course F4 gets the balance right IMHO but the SH cockpit has more depth than F4 so it becomes a question of priorities. Actually, I can kind of sympathise with the technical tradeoff but I would have preferred less cockpit and better quality terrain as I think that is a more beneficial compromise for those of us who like to fly first,fight second. (With IFR SH is very good but VFR flying, well I have now said all I am going to say on graphics and concentrate on other issues)

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-05-1999 04:13 AM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Daveb,
Well said Sir, I quite agree with you re the trade off's in sims. It seems you have to scrifice one thing for another.
Like you the flying comes first...The shooting bit is an added bonus when I want a quick release of testosterone...LOL.
Hey ! what did you think of my idea in a previous post..A sort of FU111 with war zone.
The likes of you and me can cruise round in our old Cessnas while all the top gun guys kick the **** out of one another.....ha ha ha...........Christ you have got to have a sense of humour in this world, or it's not worth a bean.....I suppose It's our English ironical sense off humour at work here?

Anyway..On a serious note, keep us posted with SH...Still don,t know whether to get SH or F2.... So knowing my whacky likes and dislikes re sims I'll look forward to your overall oppinions on what you think would suit me.. Then if it's a load of crap I can say to the wife......" See it wasn't me this time who chose something I hardly use, It's that bloke in Windsor, blame him".....Ha ha Ha Ha .
Keep well my man and happy flying..Phil

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 04:49 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phil, are you the .... mad ... guitarist?
If so, wondering if you saw the classic albums (Who next) on the telly last night?
Very interesting it was.
Anyway,
F2 or SH. I think F2 depends on what you are looking for. Graphics, flight model and mission builder are excellent but it can be a little cold unless you use the imagination to experiment with the mission builder. However, my opinion is that you will like the flight model. BTW landing it is simple compared to landing F4 if you have F4. It's early days with SH but the flight model seems quite good although my experience of spin recovery is that it's way too easy. The ultimate in spins are MA and F2!
The main reason I like Flanker is that you do precisely have to use your imagination and conjure up scenarios. F2 drivers are quite imaginative and you'll find a dedicated multiplayer crowd just willing to put lead up the old khyber.
SH - I am starting to like it particularly the cockpit - just admit it Phil, you like pressing the flaps button eh You just cannot keep away from those buttons.

Since I may be involved in BVR combat with your missus, try Mig Alley. It has good mix of graphics, a great campaign, very immersive dogfighting and pretty good flight model. If you are undecided, try MA.
Now, being me such a reasonable soul, I'll donate Janes F15 to you provided you refund the posting charges. Now, how's that for missile avoidance?
(Phil,drop me a line at [email protected] if you are interested in F15)
PS F15 is good but the flight modelling could have been better but lots of buttons to press!)
One thing I haven't mentioned with SH is the necessity to wear headphones - believe me this sim can get noisy. However, of the 2 sims F2 would get my vote but as I say, you get no campaign and very little noise but a great editor, superb graphics and a lovely flight model. And ... the joys of shooting down F15/F16s is also a great incentive

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-05-1999 05:23 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
daveb have you found any way of finding out which way point you are currently heading for.even a dedicated ground pounder like me has to stop the important work to slip a couple of sidewinders at these snotty fighter jocks once in a while when i return from fray does not seem to be any indication of way point number,bit confusing also would be great if get my suncom hotas to emulate mouse function to pan virt cockpit, ps like tornado you have to keep careful eye on gas... be lucky tony d
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 12-05-1999 05:32 AM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
daveb, if you thought Windsor's bad, wait till you try living on the 9th storey of a student halls at Battersea, with a girlfriend that sleeps like a log while u're listening to 747s flying landing circuits while awaiting ATC instructions from LHR!!!! At 4am mind you :-)
Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 06:06 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony,
You need to move the mouse down and view the map (the MPCP). You'll see something called WYPT. You can see them all there. Also if you're in nav mode and look at the UFCD. The big display in the middle! it appears at the top left hand corner. It's a pity they use alphabetc characters for waypoints.I prefer numbers.
For other simmers reading, your waypoints are designated a,b,c,d etc whereas most other sims use 1,2,3,4 etc.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 06:09 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SGA8VR,

My thoughts are with you BTW Round that time of the morning it's long haul from Hong Kong, Taipei and Beijing. It's all a conspiracy!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-05-1999 06:56 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cheers daveb found that, its very small ,going to up from 17 to 19 monitor next week,just as well,seem to have every thing now with exception of speed brake ,acording to keyboard sheet its shifted key no9 dont seem to slow anything down,so i guess thats an error be lucky tony d
Phil47
Member # 658

posted 12-05-1999 08:38 AM     Profile for Phil47     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Daveb.
Hey thanks man re the f15. I'll get in touch with you Email. Very kind of you.

So to answer your first question....Yes I am the lunatic guitarist.ha ha.
Have gone into some sort of semi retirement these days.Used to work with a load of top bands in London.60's and 70's, but now apart from the odd gig just teach guitar all day long these days...... Do a nice blues gig once a year in Feb down these parts. Come on down if your round this way . Paul Mcartney's Guitarist Robbie McIntosh is usualy down for the gig. Lots of great players and a good time is had by all.

Now back to the aircraft thing..Spot on with the obsevations Sir.....Yes loads of buttons to press..Flaps going up and down....Love the feeling of realism. (Or as near as one can get on a sim).
One thing I liked about EF2000 ( ancient as the graphics were by todays standards)Was that you could fly through Fjords beneath the tops off the cliffs....Gave you some feeling of depth and perspective to the game.
I think the trouble is that I seem to go into a store, look at the graphics on the box and see garish flat green grass and listen to potential buyers saying things like " Yeh man you want to see the bombs on this one. Dead easy to land".I'm afraid I steer clear........Probably not fair I hear some people say. I haven't given the game a chance. But then the problem with flight sims is that you can't see the things in action. You go into a store. You see lots of boxes. No one in there has a clue about anything , let alone flight sims. You have to go by reading reviews or talking to other serious simmers who already have the game.
It would be nice to go into a store and at least see some demos...Lets face it, would you go into a shop full of televisions, all switched off and say..." Wow!, yeh I think 'll take that one".
As there are so many sims, one can't afford ( or at least I can't ) to buy up everything on the shelf In hope that I may happen to stumble across something decent.
Like buying a quality new guitar...You try them out for personal feel.
Everyone has there own personal likes and dislikes..Even the mag reviews.. One will say "Great sim I,ll give it 92%". Another will say "Boring sim, not enough bombs and the wings are the wrong colour, I'll give it 76%"..
Still It's nice to have a place like Combatsim.com where you can read reviews and look at some screen shots
and also have a forum where things like this can be discussed.
At least people in here talk about aircraft... Went to flightsim.com the other day to pop some questions re MS2000....Not one reply. They seemed pre occupied with talking about the enviroment and world polution...ha ha ha.

Now with regard to Mig Alley.
I may give that one a shot.
I have a demo of it...Not bad!
The background musc drove me mad as did the creaking of the fuselage ( like a couple of roof tiles being rubbed together) and that awful loud American mucho macho voice shouting out things like..."Yeh go get him man". (appologies to all Americans reading this.I love the States really. Always go there on holiday..Oops sorry, vacation).
I just happen to prefer The Ride of the Valkeries or Elgars Pomp and circumstance pumping out of the com when I go in for the kill ( Or being killed)...Still I suppose you can switch all that stuff off.
Fly straight.....Your man in the south Phil.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 08:56 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Da da da da da daah ... Da da da da da daah

BTW the sounds in MA can be a bit annoying but after a while you get used to it!
One thing about MA is that it's not clickable in the cockpit but the flying is great. Check out the Mustang - now that's wonderful for us Cessna fans! The sad thing about MA is that it hasn't sold in great numbers at all. When I got SH on Friday, the bloke in the shop told me that he'd not sold many copies of MA or F2 for that matter. F4 had sold well and he'd even sold a copy of Luftwaffe Commander to some bore pleb.
Anyway, MA is being bundled with Apache Havoc in some shops so look out for it.
BTW I have seen the price of MA down to 20 quid so might be an idea to shop around if you can get out of Dorset.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

CV -USN ret
Member # 1014

posted 12-05-1999 11:13 AM     Profile for CV -USN ret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony Speed Brake is key S its in the manual =)
and yes it works.. The old Style speed brake is gone now all that happens is both rudders toe inward and 2 panels upfront on the LEX get opened..

seems to do the trick and the BRAKE light comes on =)

------------------
CV-USN AT2, VFA-105, VS-27, VFA-106, retired

Posts: 79 | From: Houston Tx | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-05-1999 12:16 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks cv will try that,ps anyone on that carrier watching my approach must think they got the space shuttle coming in ,having to pull s turns to bleed of speed , guess they would have me on fod duty for rest of my tour,ps i see we have the old jaguar in this sim i think that is a first cheers tony d
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-05-1999 12:44 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tried that cv. and it works fine thanks.was just surfing out side views of airbase and saw a little guy wandering among a group of marine f18s he was walking very slow and looked lost... guess he was airforce hey cv..tony d
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 12-06-1999 03:33 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Re Graphic Detail: Minor Points

I don't like the microtexture things - causes too much swimming/shimmering graphics like IAF.

Could DI please include visible external stores on other A/C in future sims. Moving control surfaces for AI planes would be nice.

What happened to the little trees that were present in F16/Hind/Apache?

Cockpit cues, lift lines, reflections - can we have some please?

Seeing the white missile trails can be difficult given a bright white sky.

That's a number of complaints - so to finish on a positive note: At least the framerates are lovely - given the lack of eyecandy details (i.e. high enough framerates to start adding the extra stuff in )

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.