my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Is it good ?

Author Topic: Is it good ?
Crashman
Member # 827

posted 12-03-1999 12:04 PM     Profile for Crashman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What about a short review of Superhornet ?

Thanks

Posts: 62 | From: 99762 Niedersachswerfen, Germany/Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-03-1999 12:27 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crashman,
I have got Superhornet but it's too early to say if I think it is good so I'll just give you my own first impressions.

1) Intro movie is very entertaining!
It sets up a very nice scene although I think some sub fans might find it amusing.

2) The first thing that hit me was graphics.
The good news: The cockpit is very clear and crisp and clickable. I think the best cockpit I have seen to date.
However, I am disappointed by the terrain graphics. I cannot describe them but it is reminiscent of old MS flight sim scenery at version 5 but worse. At high level it's ok but at low level IMHO it ain't good. (I think Nick Moyrand will hate it if he's reading)

3) Flight - Feels ok. As I am not a pilot I feel wary about commenting on flight model. I am using pretty easy settings at the moment so it's somewhat unfair of me but initially it seems to be too maneuvrable.

4) Manual. Chapters are below
Setup
Getting started
Combat Options
Mission Planning
Viewing Modes
Flight Training
Navigation & Radar Ops
Carrier Ops
Air to Air Ops
Air to Ground Ops
(236 pages) (Need more info Arrow?)

You get an F18 controls sheet. It's small and difficult to read. I think they should improve this with the next release.

Also included is a booklet called Pilot notes.It's a quick guide to weapons and combat and summarizes what you need to do to get fighting quick. Pretty good idea I think.

I have just practiced a takeoff. I suggest the manual is read as some of the key sequences are not obvious.

Sound- very good and is more immersive than F2 but IMHO could get annoying after a while.

My initial conclusion: Yes, worth the wait but I do think the terrain needs some work.
(BTW The readme states this does not work on Riva 128 cards so those of you with those cards might need to wait a while).
I am using DirectX 7 with Super Hornet with Nvidia 353 reference drivers on a Diamond Viper 550 with a Pentium 500 and 192Mb.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-03-1999 12:51 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One important thing I didn't mention.
The learning curve. I think this sim may have some depth to it. I had to read the manual to takeoff it wasn't just a case of not knowing keys. The cockpit is really good and I think the sim will have depth but as I said I haven't used the sim long enough to form a real objective opinion yet so take my comments with a pinch of salt right now.
One other thing: The sim does has some settings for the hardcore but you have to switch them off. Another thing I only seem to be able to run this in 640*400 mode there does not seem to be any higher resolutions.
BTW As I keep saying, it pays to read the manual. There is also an online manual.
The sim works smoothly on my pc and I had no installation problems.
Anyway, if anyone wants to know more about the sim you can drop me a line at
[email protected]
I'll be busy over the weekend
What with F2 patch, Super Hornet and a possible patch for F4. Sounds like a very busy weekend!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

tony draper
Member # 519

posted 12-03-1999 03:44 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
davdeb you cannot change resolution in game you have to use config at start up menu, i agree it is a complex sim and will take some time to get into and also the key board sheet is rubbish it seems to ask for keys that do not exist on my key board at least..have fun tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 12:20 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you're just dying for any information about the sim, get the help file for the Config applet from the LINKS page at my website. It describes the possible settings quite good.
http://1st-blaze.euhost.com

I guess offering the full manual, which is included as PDF on the CD, would not be welcomed by DI?

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 12-04-1999).]

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 01:40 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Tony,
Somehow I missed that

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 12-04-1999 06:07 AM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave,

how's the atmosphere/immersion in SH if you compare this to F4 (high end of the scale) and F2 (low end of the scale).
I mean other planes in the air, ground untis, speech, etc.
Jackal

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 07:34 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jackal,
I cannot give a real definitive answer right now as I haven't flown any real serious missions but my initial feeling is about 3/4 quarters of the way (using F4/F2 as the yardstick). There doesn't seem to be many other planes around compared to F4 but although the sounds are not bad there is one sound I find most irritating. It's a ARGGGH when you take off the carrier using the standard training mission. Cockpit sounds are excellent though - you hear audible warnings for lock on and the usual Sidewinder growl. In dogfights if you spoof the missiles you get a He missed me but I am finding this quite irritating to be honest.
When you first hear it, you grin but after a wee while well it's just annoying!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 07:43 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jackal,
The low level terrain really does detract from the sim. I know it's eye candy and normally it doesn't bother me but in this sim the terrain is just yuk. (BTW other effects are quite good like your blowing fragmenting into pieces, good flare effects) but graphically it's nowhere near as good as F4/F2 or even Mig Alley/F22-TAW.
I have seen screen shots of Janes F18 and that is way ahead. I really think DI must address the graphics in later releases.
I cannot comment on AWACS, wingmen etc as I haven't used them yet. I certainly feel up to now that you are in a computer sim whereas with F4/F2/Mig Alley I feel you can relax and worry about fighting a war - the graphics just merge into the sim but this sim has this credibilty gap graphically. I'll probably be flamed for saying that but well that's my opinion.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Hornit
Member # 962

posted 12-04-1999 08:09 AM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't be shy Daveb!! Really , we appreciate the honest opinion! I would like to thank you for all the info for us hungry flight simmers here in the states!!
I have one question....does this have a mission builder?? The one included in Janes F-18 is fantastic.

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 08:19 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has a planner which allows you to change waypoints etc I cannot really answer right now as I haven't really played too much in between posts and flying but it looks limited to be honest.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 08:51 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The planner is indeed much like Tornado, but it's only a planner, not a builder. Also the usability is a slight step backwards from Tornado (for instance the great zoom in/out tool is missing).

What strikes me odd is the complete lack of a campaign (let alone a "however-dynamic" one). You only get a list of 20 missions, grouped in Air To Air, Air To Ground, Anti-Ship, Recon, Strategic Attack and Air Defense. These missions are, as far as I can see, not even remotely connected.

Blaze

daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-04-1999 08:55 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, the planner is basic right now. You can see various objects but in essence the missions are canned. You can, however, setup your own IPs and then attack a target but you still have to complete the mission objectives (haven't tried it but I don't think I am wrong). I did setup my own ip.
You cannot save the mission AFAIK. Another + for Janes. Actually, I knew about the canned missions before buying so no complaints on my part there. Of course, if the addon for SH doesn't happen then I have had it!
(duped ?
The mission planner is quite easy to use once you realize its limitations. ie you have to de-select detail rather than select it by default. The planner is quite quick and zooms quite nicely so I think future addons may work quite nicely for DI.
BTW although canned missions do (quite rightly IMHO) receive criticism DI do have some nice scene setters on the CD for these missions I just hope future releases happen sooner rather than later.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 09:01 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention, multiplay is Deathmatch only, max (theoretical) number of players is 24. Supported connections are TCP, IPX, Serial, Modem to Modem. Standard DirectPlay it seems.

Blaze

Join the SuperHornet mailing list! http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/SuperHornet

Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 12-04-1999 09:27 AM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave,

thanks for your infos. Regarding terrain, some previews mentioned microtexturing at low level to get a reasonable speed feeling.
So one more question : How's the speed feeling ?

Jackal

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-04-1999 09:32 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sensation of speed is qite good IMO, however the depth/height perception is rather weak.
daveb
Member # 173

posted 12-05-1999 01:05 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree mostly with Blaze but at low level the graphics don't help! ie You can be so mesmerized by the scenery that any sensation of flight is already placed in suspense mode.
PS If anyone can balance out my views on this sim please do so. I am trying to be positive but I am probably coming across as quite negative and I'd like to see a better sense of balance given to the sim. As I have said, I won't be taking this back but I will be trying to redress the balance a little bit myself as I do believe that the sim has good points - the cockpit is a real joy!

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.