my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » AMD Athlon - 3D Now

Author Topic: AMD Athlon - 3D Now
camryn
Member # 724

posted 11-29-1999 03:01 PM     Profile for camryn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are the current flight sim programs - including SU-27 Flanker 2.0 - compatible with AMDs 3D Now Athlon processors?
Posts: 12 | From: Niagara Falls, NY USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 11-29-1999 03:56 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, most sims use (slow) x87 floating-point instructions to perform math. The Athlon has the strongest x87 FPU of any modern PC CPU!

That said, SIMD instructions (3DNow or SSE) are much faster for performing math. It is just a shame that sim developers haven't fully taken advantage of these instructions yet (ref. my topic on 3DNow/SSE.)

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tom McClean
unregistered

posted 11-29-1999 04:55 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila, is that you! I thought you died years ago, you know at the battle of the Chalons! The Romans and the Germans united and destroyed your army! Well it is nice to know that you are still alive and kicking!

Better luck next time with your battles!

IP: Logged
Tom McClean
unregistered

posted 11-29-1999 04:58 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For those who don't know, The battle of Chalons occured in 451 A.D. I forgot to add this to my already stupid post!
Attila
Member # 853

posted 11-29-1999 08:40 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Tom,

Attila, the King of Huns, didn't die at Chalons, you know. He was defeated in one of ancient history's bloodiest battles, alright, but retreated unharmed with the remainder of his army. The next year he invaded Italy. When he finally met his death (ca. 453 AD) it was in bed with one of his women --- drunken, he drowned in his own nose-bleed... :-)

No, other than a flat nose and being a non-christian I haven't got much in common with this ancient barbarian warrior --- and that's probably a good thing. But it is a fascinating history behind Attila, and using this nickname on a combat flight sim forum has some interesting assosiations. Here's a bit about the Huns' combat tactics:

quote:
When attacked, they will sometimes engage in regular battle. Then, going into the fight in order of columns, they fill the air with varied and discordant cries. More often, however, they fight in no regular order of battle, but by being extremely swift and sudden in their movements, they disperse, and then rapidly come together again in loose array, spread havoc over vast plains, and flying over the rampart, they pillage the camp of their enemy almost before he has become aware of their approach. It must be owned that they are the most terrible of warriors because they fight at a distance with missile weapons having sharpened bones admirably fastened to the shaft. When in close combat with swords, they fight without regard to their own safety, and while their enemy is intent upon parrying the thrust of the swords, they throw a net over him and so entangle his limbs that he loses all power of walking or riding.

Add that "the Huns first appeared on the steppe north of the Black Sea" and you have a nice connection with my favourite sim --- Flanker.

Thanks for enlightening me.

---
Vidar Hasfjord

PS. For those interested in (military) history, you'll find the fascinating story about Attila and his rampage around Europe here:

http://art1.candor.com/barbarian/attila.htm

[This message has been edited by Attila (edited 11-29-1999).]

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tom McClean
unregistered

posted 11-29-1999 09:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Attila! I re-read my history and yes he did not die at Chalons! Thanks for that interesting info on one of the greatest soldiers in history!

Good Hunting

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.