my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » TAW on Voodoo 3

Author Topic: TAW on Voodoo 3
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 11-29-1999 03:18 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anybody get TAW working in Glide on a Voodoo 3 card under DirectX 7? I just get an error stating cannot initialise glide.

I don't want to have to pull DX7 from the machine just after I've got a setup that's happy running both Falc4 and Flank2.

How does the DirectX version of TAW look compared to the Glide version?

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 11-29-1999 04:27 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yorkshire,
On my new box TAW using DirectX is not as good as Glide. However, depends on your card.
My Viper using the newer drivers isn't too bad but my old machine had a Voodoo and TAW looks a lot better under Glide IMHO.
I currently have just a Viper 550 and F4/F2 and TAW all run reasonably well but if you really want the best visuals for TAW you'll need Glide. Personally I reckon you should live with DirectX as you will probably be using F4 and F2 more?

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-29-1999 01:16 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yorkshire Tea,
I was playing TAW last night!(Sun) with DX7 on my V3 3000AGP no probs thru Glide???
I'm using the DX7 V3 drivers as well,just some slight corruption with the occasional HUD flicker but nothing else?

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 11-29-1999 10:30 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have run TAW with a Voodoo3 2000 and DirectX 7 and it worked pretty well.

It looked just about as good under Direct3D as with Glide.

For some reason, F-22ADF (same as TAW except for dyanmic campaign, right?) seems to be a bit more solid on my system. Both run well but I believe TAW crashed at least once while F-22 did not.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hoverstorm
Member # 1191

posted 11-30-1999 07:13 PM     Profile for Hoverstorm     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there some way to increase the view distance in F22 ADF? Also - don't know if this is realistic or not, but I feel one has to move very close to i.e. a tank column before it pops up in LANTIRN mode. Is it just supposed to be that way?
Posts: 185 | From: Trondheim, Norway | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 12-01-1999 03:56 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ho hum. Couple of questions to those who are running TAW if I may:

What 3dfx drivers are you using? I've got 4 versions kicking around on my machine from 1.02.18 to the latest DX7 ones.

Have you altered any of the 'SET SST=' parameters in your config files?

Are you using patched/unpatched TAW?

As Dave guessed, this isn't too big a problem for me as I play F4 (and F2) more recently - but having something cease working is an irritant to me

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.