my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Forgotten History & Superhornet.

Author Topic: Forgotten History & Superhornet.
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 11-26-1999 10:41 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, well. DI's Superhornet will soon be upon us, albeit, not in the form that had been promised for years. The Dynamic campaign will come as an "add-on", next year. Well, I remember a little company called "DiD". They had the same idea, release an add-on later. Well, when the time came for the add-on, they said, "Oh, so sorry, we can't put all of this added detail (ie. "expense") in just a mere add-on, here's the promised "add-on", another 50 spot please." Well, I'm not saying that this caused the recent demise of DiD, but it sure did'nt add alot of stabilty to the company. I heard about 3 months ago, that there are still a ton of unsold copies of the original production run of TAW waiting in Infogrames' warehouses. Alot of people simply said 1) I played this game for a year and a half already, I'm not running out to drop a sawbuck on it again, or 2) DiD lied to us, screw 'em. Well, with TAW, I bought it, but I don't think I'll make the same mistake with SH. Not that TAW was'nt a good game, but was it worth $100 bucks? I don't think so. I'm not saying that DI will make the same mistake.

I'm just saying that history has got a funny way of repeating itself.

Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fins
unregistered

posted 11-27-1999 03:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ghost,

I know what you mean. Thing is that it's not all DiD's fault. At least in the US you guys were offered a rebate on ADF if you bought TAW, where as here in the UK the publisher basically said that they couldn't be bothered to set up a rebate system and we'd have to pay the full price for both.

I did buy F22ADF when it was release with the promise of an cheaper addon campaign. Needless to say, when TAW was released I didn't buy it.

I know what you're saying about the similarities between this and SH. Personally, I'm going to wait for the full version to appear, and then get that.

I do think that it's a real shame that DiD appear to have gone. I, for one, was really looking forward to EF2000 v3.

Fins.

IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 11-27-1999 06:11 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These things can be irksome.

Speaking of TAW...does anyone remember the SimTech F-22 Strategy Guide? The one that was supposed to be even bigger and better than their EF2000 Strategy Guide.

Some say it never happened. They are wrong.

It exists. The books are sitting in some warehouse in the UK. They just never made it to market...by the time the publisher got around to getting them out, he was out of business.

Too bad. It was a heck of a book.

Andy

Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraigman
Member # 197

posted 11-27-1999 09:24 AM     Profile for Kraigman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Andy -

Have you flown SuperHornet yet? Also, is there a stragegy guide in the works for Flanker2 that you know of? If any sim needed on, this is it IMO...

Posts: 144 | From: Franklin, MA. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 11-27-1999 11:06 AM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that you mention it Andy, I do remember seeing the ads for the Sim-Tech book in both TAW and ADF. Even went to there site once or twice. Forgot all about after awhile, but I do recall reading that it was going to be quite substantial. BTW, I also brought the UK version of TAW, and as far as the packaging, it is alot better than the US version. And the manual is spiral bound, vs. the US's glue bound manual. Best extra 12 bucks ($51 for the UK, $39 for the US @ the time) I've spent on a game. Great game that it it.
Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yogi
unregistered

posted 11-28-1999 01:41 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the US version of TAW and the manual is spiral bound
IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 11-28-1999 03:52 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kraigman

I don't have SH yet...I haven't decided if I am going to get both F-18 sims or not.

Don't know about any strategy guide for F2 but I will agree that it could use some documentation. I'm doing an article for SimHQ on the USAF and F2 padlocks...should have it finished soon. I've had a heck of a time getting into the nitty-gritty on those views due to the lack of info on them.

Andy

Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gel214th
Member # 961

posted 11-28-1999 04:03 PM     Profile for Gel214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes..I remember DID..and that fantastic sim TAW.
It's still on my hard disk actually.
F22ADF made quite a splash when it came out, and TAW should have catapulted DID to the tops of everyone's mind in the simulation market...
but..
it never happened :-(

I guess they just didn't make enough money to stick behind the product..and people noticed that.
The sim is still great, and I will never let it go
I still have the World Air Power supplement that came with ADF, and it is a wonderful addition to ANYONE's flight sim and combat library. It has fantastic descriptions of modern aircraft, and weaponry, and the pictures are quite good.
That alone was worth the price of the box.
I'm really, really sorry the company went hte way it did :-(

Hard work and good products should be rewarded.The market place isn't fair..and neither is Marketing.
:-(

Posts: 135 | From: Trinidad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 11-28-1999 08:52 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This should prove quite an interesting week. I'll finally have stick time with both DIs Superhornet and JANE'S FA-18. It's going to to be quite a battle!
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 11-29-1999 11:54 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Viking1,
Hopefully, you'll be posting articles on each?
PS Can you find out if Janes has a dynamic campaign. I have heard not but don't know if that is the case or not.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-29-1999 05:53 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No "dynamic" campaign in Jane's F/A-18E.
Instead it will have a "semi-dynamic" campaign much like F-15 (i.e. scripted and branching, but with persistant damage).
This info was taken from several posts by the Jane's staff on different message boards.
There is a mailing list running at http://www.onelist.com/community/Janes_FA18 which has some of the staff participating.

Blaze

arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-30-1999 01:47 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm trying to understand the press release of DI, and (for what I read), there'll be:

1)Superhornet "standard"
2)add-on
3)Superhornet Gold

Now it could be interesting if you could upgrade your standard version only with the add-on, and not only buying again the product with the Gold edition...

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.