my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's Superhornet US release

Author Topic: DI's Superhornet US release
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 11-22-1999 07:39 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys, this has probably been posted before. However I was wondering, anyone got any news abt DI's US release for Superhornet? I heard it's coming in 2 packs, with the sim in one and an add-on campaign in another. Can someone please confirm? Thanks
Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
unregistered

posted 11-23-1999 05:53 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as I know, Superhornet will be released in two parts in Europe
first part, due out this friday will be the instant action,training missions and scripted branching campaign. The second part will contain all the stuff in the first release, plus a dynamic campaign engine and probably a few more enhancements, under the title Superhornet Gold, released in the spring.

As far as the US is concerned, the first they see will be the Gold version, in spring.

(This info may not be entirely accurate.)

IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 11-23-1999 07:14 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gosh, if so, they are certainly in ALOT of trouble, DI. U see, that would put their release technically, in Spring for a full version whereas Jane's is releasing a full version in Jan/Feb! Hmmmmmmm......
arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-24-1999 05:51 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just because they are splitting the product in 2 fases, leaving the dynamic part on the second ?

Janes F/A 18 will never have a dynamic campaign, so both the product will be at the same level right now as DI is released.

With DI Superhornet, you could expect to have this and other enhancements in the future, with Janes you'll get what you'll get with no expansions.

Please, don't take it wrong: I'm sure that Janes will surely be a good product, maybe better than Superhornet.

But please don't judge Superhornet only on the basis that it'll be released splitted, because, as I said, this means only that we'll have a sim RIGHT NOW with the same level of functionality of Janes F18, with expansions and addons when Janes will release their F18.

On what will be the best: well, let's wait and see. What I'm sure is that 2 is better than 1

Jon
Member # 324

posted 11-24-1999 07:58 AM     Profile for Jon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>But please don't judge Superhornet only on the basis that it'll be released splitted, because, as I said, this means only that we'll have a sim RIGHT NOW with the same level of functionality of Janes F18, with expansions and addons when Janes will release their F18.<

You in the UK might, but we in the US won't. We'll only get the crippled SH at the same time a fully functional(complete with mission builder) Janes F/A-18 is available. Which would you choose in that situation?

In my mind, DI/Titus mistake was not in splitting the product, but rather in limiting their intitial release to only Europe. If they released worldwide now, a lot of sim fans in the US would grab it immediately. I don't think the sales picture in the US will be so nice for them once the Janes product is on the shelves.

Jon

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited 11-24-1999).]

Posts: 135 | From: Rochester, NY USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 11-24-1999 08:00 AM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, Arrow, valid point :-) Guess u're right. Can't be wrong with 2 products rather than one.
arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-24-1999 09:13 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jon,
I just wanted to point out that DI Superhornet AS IT IS now, have the same features of Janes F18.

With the gold option you'll get ADDITIONAL features, unexistent in Janes F18.

We then could argue (when we'll have both the products) which sim implement BETTER those features.

Bottom line: you have a sim NOW that has the same features Janes will have.

I don't understand why DI is considered UNFINISHED and Janes COMPLETE if they have the same features, and the only difference is that Superhornet will have additional features later.

This was my only concern.

CV -USN ret
Member # 1014

posted 11-24-1999 10:56 AM     Profile for CV -USN ret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Janes Campaigns are Semi Dynamic.. the differnence is minimal. plus in the past Janes have shown that thier campaigns are very engrossing. as compared to DI's lame missions. DI is breaking thier own arms in the US by not releasing earlier..
yall in Europe its a differnrt story as you will have been playing DI's product for months before you even see Jane's..

here in US Ill be buying Janes, and I might borrow a copy of SH if someone I know gets it..

------------------
CV-USN AT2, VFA-105, VS-27, VFA-106, retired

Posts: 79 | From: Houston Tx | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-24-1999 11:41 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok sorry,

I was basing my comments on the fact that I judge the "semi dynamic" concept exactly as a "canned" campaign, only with a different name from marketing.

And also on the fact that since Tornado and (before) F16 Combat Pilot, I'm expecting from DI a sim at the same level: so I hope Superhornet will be it.

But this is wrong, since for everyone it is different.

So sorry and my apologies to all: buy what you want and enjoy it. I'm sure we'll have two good sims, that is better than only one.

Jon
Member # 324

posted 11-24-1999 03:45 PM     Profile for Jon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
arrow,

As far as I understand from everything I've read about the initial SH release, it will not have a true mission builder. The Janes product will. All the articles I've seen say that SH will have an planner for existing scripted missions but no capability to build new missions. The Janes F-15 builder excelled at this and I feel the F/A-18 will carry on the tradition.

Jon

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-24-1999 03:59 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I just wanted to point out that DI Superhornet AS IT IS now, have the same features of Janes F18."

Arrow, how do you know that?
Both games are not yet released, one of them is about 3 or so months away. Which versions of them have you tested lately to draw such a conclusion? Just curious. ;-)

Blaze

arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-25-1999 03:46 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blaze,
I repeat: sorry.

I've not tested any of those 2 products, and I was drawing my conclusion only on preview read somewhere.

Again, I was only sorry that someone is giving DI a "no chance" because it's splitted, but was only a personal feeling, so questionable and debatable.

Sorry again for any problem: since I esteem DI I was only trying to force people to give them a chance, but it's wrong and I apologize if I offended or puzzled someone.

Buy what you want and what you prefer, this is right, and I'm wrong in trying to convince all of you of something that is personal and subjective.

The only thing right is that we'll have two nice products instead of one.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-25-1999 09:06 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't take it so serious! ;-)

I was just wondering about the respective feature list of both sims.
Jane's has been open and helpful all the time here, so we get a good idea what they'll have an what not. OTOH, DI has been tight lipped (to put it friendly), so there's no wonder people suspect them. And the little information that actualy leaked out looked rather unimpressive, in fact the only interesting thing I know of is the "people on the flight deck".

Anyway, it's about time they ship their product, so I can finally delete that stupid demo on my website. ;-)

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 11-25-1999).]

arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-25-1999 09:15 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blaze, nothing serious, I agree.

I just was upset with myself because I did what I always hated: convince people about subjective opinions, that IMO is a waste of time.

Time will tell, meanwhile, as soon as I'll receive my copy of Superhornet from www.gameplay.com (it ships worldwide and I'm in Italy: so no probs for you in the USA), I'll give you my impression (opinionated of course) without comparing it to anything in the future

benno
unregistered

posted 11-25-1999 05:02 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
D.I's super hornet is looking good at the moment and i can't wait to rush out tommorow and buy it...sorry, y'all!I've been waiting for a descent d.i. sim since TORNADO so hopefully they will have hit the nail on the head with this one?Thanks to blaze for the short taster demo...way too short ..only just enough time to scream along at low level avoiding aaa and trying not to do a bit of cfig!
Vapor16
unregistered

posted 11-26-1999 02:26 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
blaze- is the demo on your website playable? if so can you give me a link to it?
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-27-1999 06:09 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You could have gotten the URL from my profile here already. :-) http://1st-blaze.euhost.com , it's on the Links page.
Yes, it's playable but limited to two minutes flight time and 640x480 resolution (hence "the stupid demo" ;-).

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 11-27-1999).]

leafer
Member # 6

posted 11-28-1999 04:32 AM     Profile for leafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
arrow, I hear ya.

I just want to know when it will be availible in the US.

Instead, I get this:

"plus in the past Janes have shown that thier campaigns are very engrossing. as compared to DI's lame missions."

"here in US Ill be buying Janes, and I might borrow a copy of SH if someone I know gets it.."

Thanks, I really needed that. I'm serious man, finally I realize how useless this place is (most of the time) and I've spent too much time here.

Each day I just wanted to take 10-15 mins to see if there's anything interesting. Nope, nothing, just the same old crap. And the funny thing was, I always ended up spending hours and hours typing up replies to post like this and totally ignoring my girlfriend.

No, I'm not giving up flight sim; just these forums. If anyone wants to talk sim please e-mail me at [email protected]

leafer trying to resist the temptation to come here again.

bye all.

Posts: 803 | From: Alhambra, CA U.S.A | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 11-28-1999 10:37 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leafer,
The truth is that DI are mucking us around. Various dates have been mentioned for Europe and as yet nothing has been released. As for the US again unknown. I picked up F2 on Friday and also expected to get DI's Hornet. Don't be too hard people here they are as damn frustrated as you appear to be and are just trying to resist the temptation to tell DI to go forth and multiply. If anyone from DI is reading this, get your marketing people into a room and tell them what a bunch of spunk bubbles they are.
This release is just so amateurish in its handling that you can expect to lose money as you have no credibility left with one potential user and more importantly I suspect your distributors are probably wondering how worse you can get. Or if it is the distributors at fault, remember DID and dream of what could have been.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 11-28-1999 11:41 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm totally pissed off at DI, really. Though they are (read:were) my favorite sim company, this has gone too far. They are really losing this customer. Sh1t! An entire year of nothing but "...it'll be out in a few weeks...". To be honest, I don't even want it anymore.
Guz
Member # 912

posted 11-29-1999 05:30 PM     Profile for Guz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turb:

You know you'll buy it when it eventually come. Hell, I will too! Just don't hold your breath.

Guz

Posts: 43 | From: Frisco, Texas | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-30-1999 01:42 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
leafer,
I understand.
I think that the best way for you is to wait and see how the sim is from others (well, not a sure way, but better than doing as me, so buying it blindly) then, if you think you'll like it, buy it from an online UK shop as the one I mentioned above.
If you wait for the official release date, I think that you'll have to wait a lot, since the official release date for UK came out only one week before this date...

Raz - DI
unregistered

posted 11-30-1999 04:52 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wanted to say a quick word on this issue of release dates. Bear in mind, this is more of a sort of personal post, than 'company line'.

Though DI/Titus has kind of come out as the bad guy in this, I gotta say that we really did make a conscious effort not to keep giving out false information on release dates.

Because the game has been slipping for such a long time, we knew there'd be no point announcing a date until we got to the point where the date was firm - that time came and we announced the date. We never gave any official date before this, yet many people have posted with 'firm' dates that left us scratching our heads! I'm still not sure where they all came from =)

Kinda seems that this is a no-win situation: as soon as people learn a new sim is coming, they naturally want to know when. So, should we say, "oh, it'll be out in about two and a half years... hold your breath, it's gonna rock!" ? Course not =) Who can guess what might happen in that time frame?

You could start giving out dates as soon as the alpha gets up and running for longer than a minute without crashing, but that's still too early. People rightly get p!ssed off when the date inevitably slips.

Or, you could let things tick over. Get a stable game, sort out production, manhandle the distribution into place and get everything else sorted, then tell everyone when they can walk into a shop and buy it. Result - people think they're being left in the dark! Oh well, maybe Titus' marketing bods can try a new approach next time =)

*Anyway*, all my rambling aside, you finally have a date of Dec 3rd in the UK and Dec 10th in Europe. After all the strife, the end result will be well worth it =) It's just a shame that I'm credited under my real name, and not as "Raz"...

Raz
DI

daveb
Member # 173

posted 11-30-1999 06:12 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raz,
Thanks for putting us straight.
I accept it's a no-win situation in many respects but bear in mind that some of us have called to enquire on dates. If someone is officially giving us dates then surely it is reasonable to assume that those dates will be met? The alternative is to say it's not ready yet but as the release date approaches post the info on your web site and more importantly keep the distributors up to date. When you ask Game etc they look at their release dates and then start to scratch their heads.
Most people keen on sims do have internet connections nowadays so a simple bit of work on your website is all that has to happen.
If it isn't ready, there really is no harm in saying so provided attempts are made to say so.

I hope Titus learn from their incompetence and I thank you personally for your initiative.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ClanMastr
Member # 40

posted 11-30-1999 11:18 AM     Profile for ClanMastr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think arrow is right. When you buy F-18 Janes, you get what you get, thats it. No addons and only so many patches, thats it. I submit F-15 Janes as exibit one. A great sim., but still needing a patch. Especialy in multiplay where after locking up a bandit u can track them through mountains, and if you have someone on your 6 you just need to hit the Esc key a few times to simulate lag, the bandit flys by and vola, you are on his 6. Have you seen this at JCN? I have, a lot. Does Janes know about these probs, you bet they do!
DI has a history of doing addons. This adds value and long lifespan to a sim.
Just my 2 cents worth, i'll wait thx.
Clan

Posts: 202 | From: Scotland Neck,N.C.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-30-1999 11:25 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny you talk about the life span of other products and still seem to fly F-15 on JCN despite the bugs, and that nearly 2 years after its release ... :-)

Blaze

ClanMastr
Member # 40

posted 11-30-1999 08:05 PM     Profile for ClanMastr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please note that I said it was/is a great sim. And actually i do not fly F-15 on JCN anymore. And haven't been there in 5 months or so. I have not flown F-15 in 2 months or so. Due mostly to the limited multiplay, and variety in multiplay. Sorry to say it looks like it is dieing, for me at least. Most of the people in my squad have gone on to USAF, a lot of fun, good replacment for FA. I have been playing with F4 a bit in multi and have had up to 4 players up over 56k modem. Very stable for me. And talk about variety in muliplay, wow! Hope MPS gets that F-15 up and running.
And to beat a dead horse, F-15 needs a patch. But don't expect one. And certainly don't expect any addons at all, not from Janes. DI has a good track record in sims. I'll wait for the Gold version. Check Six
Clan

Posts: 202 | From: Scotland Neck,N.C.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
unregistered

posted 12-01-1999 03:26 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since when has DI said it was going to produce any addons to Super Hornet?

Just wondering.

In my mind addons are dead. It takes too long to produce them and it's not cost effective. You might as well just release a whole new simulation.

You cant just slap a few new missions together and add a new flyable aircraft in an addon these days. Maybe back in the days of SWOTL, but not now. People expect addons to be better than the original game. Fairly twisted logic, an addons sole purpose is to add, not improve. Add in marketing, lost customers because of bad reviews, and production, you can see why it's just not cost effective to produce your classic addon.

Jon
Member # 324

posted 12-02-1999 11:54 AM     Profile for Jon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raz,

Why the big lag for a US release?

Jon

CAT_XO/VFC-13
unregistered

posted 12-04-1999 10:24 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Major Tom you are right about one thing that a addon is nomore that a addon. But with the way the flight sims are gitting complex and real to life the addon is somthing that I am looking forward to. It would be nice to have real pilots flying in F-15Cs for cover while I make a bomming run in an F-16. It makes for better play. The sims are going to hit a wall soon that they just wont git anny better due to the computers wont be able to play the games to there full potinchal.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.