my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » "Invincible" and "invisible" cruise missile in Janes F-15?

Author Topic: "Invincible" and "invisible" cruise missile in Janes F-15?
AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-09-1999 06:11 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, look, I realize this issue may have been beaten to death before somewhere, but bear on with me.

While playing Janes F-15 I was trying all kind of different "INSTANT MISSION" setups: 1 on 1 with just a light load of guns and 2 'Winders against all different combat planes - from F-4 to Su-27. A knife fight scenario, basically. After getting my a** kicked quite a few times (as well as kicking some serious a** ;-)) I picked "Cruise Missile" as an opponent. What I saw, surprised me (to say the least).

First of all, I could never detect it on radar, not even when it flew right by me! I tried changing to all the different radar modes - to no avail. Is it realy like this in real life? I know cruise missiles have a low RCS, but not that low! I know in real world during the Gulf and in Yugoslavia Tomahawks were being detected at close ranges by SA-8 and even ZSU-23 AAA radars, they were able to be targeted and fired at. Now, I don't see why the cruise missile would not be able to be detected by an F-15 radar! Not even at 3 nm!

But wait, there is the kicker. After trying out this instant mission several times I saw that you can lock Sidewinder on the missile. Next time I tried firing 2 Sidewinders at the missile. What happened, is that both of them struck dead on, but the cruise missile continued flying, it was not even set off course! I mean, what is wrong with that? Theoretically even a proximity detonation would damage-destroy the missile. This one turned out to be invincible!

Do any of you guys also experience this? Is there any clarification or its a Janes bug?

[This message has been edited by AnArcHISt (edited 11-09-1999).]

AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-09-1999 07:48 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
an update to the matter: actually I found out the cruise missile is destroyable (after lobbing something like 4 Sidewinders at it)

still not detectable on radar. The only way I can pick it up is visually or on FLIR

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.