my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » what works with a Celeron/810 system?

Author Topic: what works with a Celeron/810 system?
florrb
unregistered

posted 11-09-1999 03:40 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've noticed my friend's Celeron 400(810chipset) 'chokes' on Falcon4.0, would Janes F-15 be less-demanding\smoother-running(it's a bit older)? Is it better debugged these days than F4.0? what will run well on this system?
IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 11-09-1999 08:36 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jane's F-15 runs smoothly on a Pentium 200, so a Celeron 400 should have no difficulty. The patch took care of the major bugs in the game.
Spectre
Member # 41

posted 11-09-1999 09:03 AM     Profile for Spectre   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its not just the Celeron that governs the performance of any given game... How much RAM does his rig have? What vid card is he using? What about the HD...?

I have a Celeron 400 and get excellent results (with current generation of games). But I also have 128 MB PC133 RAM, an IBM 7200RPM HD and a TNT2 Ultra 32MB vid card... Another thing: Falcon 4 in of itself is not coded properly and therefore you will notice crappy performance to begin with. Upgrade, optimize and tweak are the by words

Posts: 900 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
florrb
unregistered

posted 11-09-1999 12:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How old is your Cel400, what brand, what chipset? My understanding is that the newer Celeron+810 chipset has a very limited graphics chip BUILT IN, that uses shared system ram(I get differing answers about how much), and that it's NOT possible to upgrade to a hotter graphics card (according to "PC Gamer". I'm working with an HP Pavillion 4535 with 64 meg RAM. My problem is the frame-rate in larger furballs, and my understanding is that's mostly the Graphics chip, not the cpu.
IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.