my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DX7 Question

Author Topic: DX7 Question
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-05-1999 01:58 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there..
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Thanks if you can! I just installed DX7, and did the Diagnostic tool thing, and it says dxtmsft.dll and dxtrans.dll are missing, that I should reinstall DirectX Media to put them on my system. All the tests it run were successful, however. What's going on, anyone know? I'm about to run F4 to make sure everything works ok..

------------------

Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-05-1999 02:26 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, everything's NOT ok...NO 3D games work. F4 Kicked me out to the desktop, in fact-which made me think everything was fine until I realized it did it BEFORE I zapped 5 MiGs, killed a dozen T-62's, etc this time.. Can someone PLEASE help?? I reinstalled it, but the files are still not installing.
Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
zombie
unregistered

posted 11-05-1999 02:49 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suggest you don't use dx7. i have read a lot of complaints about not working properly with some games. I am using dx6.1 and until i don't hear anything positive about dx7, i am sticking to dx6.1

zombie out

IP: Logged
zombie
unregistered

posted 11-05-1999 02:49 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suggest you don't use dx7. i have read a lot of complaints about not working properly with some games. I am using dx6.1 and until i don't hear anything positive about dx7, i am sticking to dx6.1

zombie out

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-05-1999 03:03 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, but it's already installed, so how do I UN-use it? I thought you couldn't install an old version over a newer one, maybe I'm wrong. I read under the 'DirectX 7 Nightmare' post on the F4 message board, and a guy said you should delete a msvcrt.dll file. I found 4 on my computer. One was in the TEMP directory, so I didn't bother with it. One was being used by Windows, and two I was able to rename to msvcrt.dllold, so they were 'disappeared' as far as things were concerned. Now I can at least get into D3D programs, but the files dxtmsft.dll and dxtrans.dll are still missing according to the Dxdiag program. Should things be ok now? Or can I uninstall 7 and install 6.1 safely? Really appreciate any help all..thanks.
JayP
unregistered

posted 11-05-1999 04:34 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's an article here that gives you the basic info on uninstalling DirectX. It's written for DX5, but I've successfully uninstalled DX6.x and reinstalled an earlier version. This was under Win95, it might not work under Win98. I've never tried DX7.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-05-1999 05:17 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get the tool from this site: http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/99/03/204/english.shtml
Works like a charm.

Blaze

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-05-1999 05:38 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, after much cursing, I think things are getting back to normal, with DX7 still resinding on my HD. Still have 2 (actually 3, but I forgot one as soon as I began typing, must be pretty serious ) issues/questions
1. Files dxtmsft.dll and dxtrans.dll are still missing, acc. to dxdiag.exe.
2. When I go into the 'Game Controllers' Screen under Ctrl Panel, my 2 joysticks (an MS Wheel, a Wingman Extreme Digital) still show unknown for a sec before indicating OK. These are DX7 issues I think, -never noticed these 2 files missing under 6.1's diag (btw, can someone send the 2 of them to me? If they'll work, that is..I'm more in the know 'bout planes than comps..- As for the second thing, the OK signal was always instant under DX6.1. If I can solve, or find out what these 2 (3) issues are, I'll be set! Thanks for the ongioing help! tomcat

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-05-1999 05:42 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dunno Blaze, I think I've got this thing just about beat now..don't know if I'll have to get 6.1 back after all..thanks though.. Actually, maybe I'll try it. Things worked perfectly before, and I can always reinstall 7 if things get screwy again.
SavoirFaire
Member # 780

posted 11-05-1999 09:02 PM     Profile for SavoirFaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My DX7 nightmare symptom is trouble with my MS Sidewinder Prec Pro USB. Each new launch of Fighters Anthology results in an extreme roll and no control. Replugging the USB connector solves the problem and game play is normal until the next Windows start. I have also seen the the momentary 'Unknown' on the Joystick tool. I'm dumping DX7 as soon as possible.

[This message has been edited by SavoirFaire (edited 11-05-1999).]

Posts: 29 | From: Newport Beach, CA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
von_M
Member # 181

posted 11-05-1999 11:04 PM     Profile for von_M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhhh, the joys of DX7, find a very good uninstaller here http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/Direct.htm but its just not for DX7, it can work on all versions. I had problems with DX7, fixed them by reformating HD, but I made the mistake of installing DX7 again! So I reinstalled Win98, and DX6, but now I have DX5, DX6 and DX7 files on my computer (DXdiag says so LOL). Good Luck!

von Manstein

Posts: 459 | From: London, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-06-1999 01:49 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, one last thing in this stupid story about me & my computer.. I used that uninstall thing, and re-installed DX6.1, put 7 back on, AND got the newest video drivers on my machine. Now things are (with the exception of those 2 missing files according to dxdiag, and the 'unknown' for a sec before the OK sign in Game Controllers) normal. My framerate is actually UP to about 27 in F4 campaign, so I can surely live with that! Didn't update my soundcard drivers, though: I've got a lot of different soundcard type things on my comp under System Properties (Win98Key + Pause/Break button)- Device Manager- Sound, Video & Game Controllers..
1. Anyone who has a Dell computer who can tell me which is my soundcard? I've got Crystal PnP Audio System Codecs (3), and 2 Crystal SoundFusion things. So, how do I update sound drivers?
2. Also, does anyone know how to remove icons from the control panel display? I've got 2 Quicktimes displayed for one reason, and I'm picky thanks

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.