my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » How to use a TV guided bomb

Author Topic: How to use a TV guided bomb
Vapor
unregistered

posted 11-02-1999 11:20 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all, I have a question for anyone who can answer it. I am flying the guided muntions training in USAF and am having problems with the TV guided AGM-130. I guide the AGM-130 perfectly towards the scud and it looks like it hits on the MFD but when i go to the f4 view and it has missed the target (lanced over the scud). Can anyone help me with this prob? THANKS!!

Good Hunting,

Vapor

IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-03-1999 09:55 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hope I'm not speaking out of turn here - I don't own USAF - but in the other jet sims that model Laser Guided Bombs this usually happens to me when I got the track box on the target but fail to laser designate the
target. Just a thought

Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 11-03-1999 11:19 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also don't own USAF, but, in other sims it helps to aim at the point of ground directly beneath the object. Also, if it is moving you must continually designate the target or it will miss. Hope this helps.
Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aaron
unregistered

posted 11-03-1999 09:06 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok here is what you do in the training mission:
1) forget what it says about 1000 ft agl
fly to about 10000 and do not launch the missile till you clear the mountain range.

2) set the level autopilot ON

3) select the missile, your right hand MFD should have a green TV picture. Look for a T in a triangle or circle this is the general target area.

4) fire the missile.

5) as soon as you fire the missile hit the Z key!!! this make the TV screen full screen.

6) hold the control key down and play with the arrow keys. You have to hold the control down to guide the missile. use left right up and down keys to guide the missile to the target area.

7) Don't let the missile fall to fast

8) as you get close to the target click the zoom button in the upper left corner of the MFD to get a close look at the target then guide the missile right to the base of the actual target (Scud launcher truck or radar antenna or what ever the target is.)

Hope this helps

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-04-1999 10:08 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wouldn'tja know - thats how it's done in Pixels other sim IAF.
r
unregistered

posted 11-04-1999 03:20 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, well the AGM-130 is TV guided, there is no laser designation\guidance in there, thus an Air Ground Missile and not a Laser Guided Bomb. In fact, the newer versions have GPS\INS and one test proved a long range turbine powered version.
Vapor
unregistered

posted 11-05-1999 06:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help yallzz, i can now obliterate my enemies with the TV guided bombs. THANKS!!!!!!!

Good Hunting,

Vapor

Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 11-05-1999 07:40 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Vapour,

If it were 'real' you could hit a TERM consent and the weapon would home on the contrast under the centroid/graticule, just like a Maverick.

Since it isn't, I do indeed recommend a 'fall short, frag long' impact (I've flown right /thru/ the airfield tower with this thing).

Also, contrary to most statements you want to _back off_ the magnification as you get closer, this can truly screw up your apparent approach angles in Z-view and leave you with insufficient maneuver authority to complete the terminal flyin.

X1/X2 is best and delaying your pitch over a _little bit_ can give you a slightly steeper endgame. Be careful how you use the CTRL-Arrow keys as they will occasionally 'blank out' and seem to have hit hard stops when in fact you simply need to repress again.

IIRC, I modified the training mission loadout to include two of the AGM-130's instead of 2 JDAM and this helped me "practice, with an expensive missile".

Watch your turn away maneuver too. There is a short 'bowling alley' clear lane between the mountain ranges but if you go full-range you will run up hard against 'the pins' of another range at the end. My Autopilot Level mode doesn't work and I crashed a couple of times...

As a weapon, AGM-130 sucks in game because it doesn't emulate either the ballistic curves range variables or the motor 'bounce burn' segment before booster release.

Just that irritating 'bomb whistle' with the motorcase still on underneath.

It also weighs closer to 3K than 2 and it MUST have a centerline datalink if you're gonna do a LOAL (Lock On After Launch) controlled profile.

IOW, Pixel screwed this one up as well.

Kurt Plummer

Aaron
unregistered

posted 11-06-1999 07:18 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got to disagree Kurt, once you have ID'ed the actual target, zooming helps clear the clutter.

Also, I notice you are still playing USAF and, could it be possible, having fun????

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.