my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » stealth & radar

Author Topic: stealth & radar
aswer
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 07:36 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have read in some books that while a cargo truck will aapear huge on radar, a B-1B will appear much smaller. what do they mean? i thought that everything just appeared as a green square the same size, or just didn't appear.
IP: Logged
Wedge
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 12:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Awser....

First it is a very big diffrence between groundbased radars and onboard ditos. And when a B-1 is detected it usually is by EWR-bases etc. Also in the aircraft there is diffrent scanning methods when it comes to air contra ground scanning. But what they probably mean, is that in "larger" they mean they will more likely spot a truck because it reflects it´s actual size, wich stealths does not. Therefor, because the B-1 doesn´t reflect as much as the truck, is not sure that it is detected at all. Of course that depends on how the pilot manuver and overall fly the plane. Is is also alot up to him if he will be detected or not. But for those radars that are able to scan very small objects, I somewhere read that the F-117 has a signature big as a seagull.

I don´t know if this answer fully satisfied you,but it gives a brief explaination how these things work.

Wedge

Aaron
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 12:39 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No objects are't always either detected or not detected. It is possible for a plane with a very small radar cross section might get caught on one sweep of the radar but might not be caught on the next sweep so the operator sees a ghost blip, it appears and disappears.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.