my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Interested in Hornet Korea

Author Topic: Interested in Hornet Korea
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-29-1999 07:47 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm interested in Hornet Korea. Saw it on the shelf at Best Buy the other day and was kind of intrigued by it. I've heard bits and pieces about this sim from time to time, but was wondering if any of you HK players could give me advice.

In terms of graphics, especially the sense of speed, how does it compare to JSF or Falcon4, for example? And what resolutions does it support? Also, what are you thoughts on the mission builder? Is it a good one?

Thanks!

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 10-29-1999 07:56 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there, funny u should ask this question cos I was just playing ard with HK last night :-) Okay, an honest opinion would be, graphics-wise, it's different from Falcon4, in that, u don't see no fog in the distance, unless u specify it in the mission editor, which IMHO is one of the best I've seen yet. AI-wise, I'd say this one is good, except the Sues tend to crash into the ground once u start loop the loop dogfights with em :-) Yes, it does not have that many radar modes as Falcon4, nor is it as detailed in that manner, but heck, I started getting into sims after I tried the demo for HK. Yes, btw, fly low and u experience turbulence, at times, pretty bad, but it is modelled nicely. VC for this sim is about 220-250knots, plays pretty well, nice FM IMO and also, a good mission editor. U can have almost aby scenario u so desire, plus, u can use nukes, there are ways to cheat :-) BUY IT! Even if for the sake of reminiscing about what direction sims might have taken if GraphSim have not stopped concentrating on making sims. I'd say I still play it rather often just for the sake of the carrier landings/takeoffs.
Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spiff
Member # 222

posted 10-30-1999 12:46 AM     Profile for Spiff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I happen to love HK. I don't know how to explain it except to say it is one of the "graphically cleanest" sims out there. While it may not have the systems fidelity of other sims (consider it somewhere midway between USAF and Falcon 4.0), it definitely gives you the sensation of flight (and the sunsets are pretty too). You might be dissapointed with the low level speed sensation, however. Graphsim decided to go with enlarged texture tiles which in turn lessen the low level speed sensation. The terrain graphics are a bit simple compared with todays sims, and the comms are pretty sparse, but the fun factor is there.
Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dragon1
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 06:12 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go for it. I still play the sim until today. The graphic is excellent: F18-A, SU-27 objects are pretty sharp. The new free terrain graphics are good too. Go to www.graphsim.com for downloads.
IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-30-1999 07:17 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HK has More radar modes than Falcon 4. Refer to my tutorial on this board (search articles by my name or radar).
HK is a superlative sim, and until Jane's F/A-18E (Super Hornet) it's still the best Hornet sim (based on F/A-18C).

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KJSIMON
Member # 289

posted 10-30-1999 12:59 PM     Profile for KJSIMON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Bill Hewitt that Hornet 3.0/Korea is BEST F/A-18 sim....SO FAR. The avionics are first rate and the VIDEO Flight School alone make it worth the price. I am very SKEPTICAL that Janes or other Hornet sims will be better except from an eye candy standpoint. One think I have ALWAYS liked about GSC HK is the cockpit art. It just looks right not as good as Apache/Havoc (the best so far IMHO) but VASTLY better than F4 or USAF.Buy it and you'll realy like it
Posts: 84 | From: Miami, Fla | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-30-1999 01:37 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - you talked me into it.

I just installed it but unfortunately, after I hit "FLY", I get a black screen and nothing more happens. Have to End Task to get out of the program. I have the game set to 800x600 using 3dfx. I have a Creative Labs 12MB Voodoo2 card which is running on 3dfx reference drivers. The Glide version is 2.54.

The HK cd comes with Glide version 2.4 which you're supposed to install if you don't already have 2.4 or higher. Well, even though I already have 2.54, I went ahead and tried to install the Glide 2.4 executable in the /3dfx directory of the HK cdrom, but it reports that I do not have the right hardware to update. Strange. Haven't had any problems with Glide games before.

I can run it under software rendering, but that's no good obviously. Does anybody have a similiar set of hardware that could shed some light on this?

canusa
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 03:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter - try running 3dfx at 640x480. I didn't think this sim supports any 3dfx resolution higher than that.

Also: go to Avault.com and download the patch for this game (assuming they still have it). HK was written to run on a Voodoo 1 card and is not compatible with voodoo2 (or I assume voodoo3) out of the box. you need to download the patch to enable it to run in 3d mode with a Voodoo3.

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-30-1999 05:49 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
canusa - yes I will try that as soon as I get off work, thanks. BTW, according to the reviews, it can run at 800x600 on a single V2 card. The sim also has a 1024x768 option, so I wonder if it can go to that resolution under V2 SLI?
Dragon1
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 08:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Canopus Pure3d (Voodoo1) with Glide
2.45. It runs perfectly at 800x600. About 3 weeks ago I emailed Graphsim Support about Voodoo2 card and they said it should work fine. Go to www.graphsim.com and look for Support. They response real quick.

david
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 08:49 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also love the HK. I am using a Thrustmaster X Fighter stick but it is jumpy, the right aileron is always higher than the left one. I don't know what is going on here, maybe I need to clean the stick. Got any advice?

thanks

david

david
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 08:50 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also love the HK. I am using a Thrustmaster X Fighter stick but it is jumpy, the right aileron is always higher than the left one. I don't know what is going on here, maybe I need to clean the stick. Got any advice?

thanks

david

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-31-1999 12:46 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I got it working by installing the 1.01 patch followed by the 1.02 patch. I'm just starting to get into this game. The Mission builder looks really promising. One gripe I do have is that the controls are so responsive they're to the point of being downright jumpy, even with the joystick response set to "Low" in the game. I'm not sure how I can work around this.

But that aside, I really like the cockpit and general feel of the sim. Very well done for 1997, I must say. This game will tide me over until Jane's F/A-18 comes out. I have another question, though: I thought the cockpit was "clickable", but it doesn't seem to be. Am I doing something wrong or is this not a clickable cockpit?

Barron
Member # 325

posted 10-31-1999 03:51 PM     Profile for Barron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No "Click-pit"... or mappable keys.

Barron out

Posts: 392 | From: Greenville, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
david
unregistered

posted 11-01-1999 08:30 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just read the late Cowboy Bill Wilson made a stick caliberation fix but cant get access to his site, anybody has a clue? Or is his site still open?

thanks
david

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-02-1999 11:07 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Mr. MBaxter you (and others)have'nt steered me wrong yet on EF2000V2 -and- what you said about JSF was pretty accurate SOOOOOOOO
what about HORNET/KOREA? I downloaded the demo - can't get the 3dFX to work on the demo
but I had fun figuring out the avionic keystrokes to drive the HORNET (along with attempting refueling in EF2000 - busy evening). Not a 'click pit' as someone said - but really nice cockpit. What are carrier landings like in 3DFX.? I read all the reviews on this game. Whats your 'IMHO' on HORNET/KOREA?

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 11-02-1999).]

Spectre
Member # 41

posted 11-02-1999 11:20 AM     Profile for Spectre   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wait until the guys that made Hornet Korea make Hornet 4.0 or the Phantom sim that has been rumored.

I have always enjoyed Hornet Korea since it reminded me of Flanker 1.5. In essence, they did the exact same thing but with better graphics.

Notice also the lack of ATC voices and/or other inflight voices...

Posts: 900 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-02-1999 11:39 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny - I've been prowling the COMBATSIM forum for comments on USAF and FLANKER2 and I end up getting involved with EF2000V2 and becoming curious about HORNET/KOREA. If I'm sure of anything I'm sure, for me at least, 3DFX takes third place behind software stability and gameplay.
I guess it's a HIND sort a thing. If I got HORNET/KOREA it would be because of interest in the avionics and carrier landings and tutorial people have talked about. I can get my 'campaign' fix from other games I have. But I see where your coming from from the FLANKER 1.5 angle. And thats how I see HORNET/KOREA. As for the twin F-18 sims coming out - I will let them have their fly -off and make my decision according to what is said in the forums. Good FM, avionics modeling, carrier landings and tutorial thats what I'm investigating in HORNET/KOREA.
Yes, I'm tight fisted with my moolah.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 11-02-1999).]

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 11-02-1999 06:22 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SPOT - HK is pretty interesting and the graphics are not bad, but if I were you, I'd just wait on Jane's F/A-18, which (it turns out) is going to be released in Jan or Feb 2000. That's only a few months away. And since it will pretty much blow away HK in all respects, you're probably better off just waiting. I only picked up HK because, frankly, I was bored with my current sims, it was only $35, and I'd never owned a sim with authentic carrier-ops before. At the time I didn't know Jane's F/A-18 was coming so soon. In retrospect I probably would have been better off waiting for Jane's F/A-18 instead of putting in the investment in time of learning to fly HK only to have it replaced within a few months by a much superior game.

So while I heartily recommend EF2000 (because nothing is going to replace it anytime soon) I cannot say the same for HK because it will be overshadowed by Jane's F/A-18 in a few months.

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-02-1999 06:32 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip. I guess I will wait for the results of the "fly-off" between DI and JANES.
Mr. Porky
Member # 694

posted 11-10-1999 08:28 AM     Profile for Mr. Porky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spectre,

>>>
Wait until the guys that made Hornet Korea make Hornet 4.0 or the Phantom sim that has been rumored.
>>>

Man, I HATE rumours. So what have you heard and please don't spare the details. USAF, Vietnam...??

-Steven

SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 11-10-1999 08:41 AM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sad to let you guys know, apparently, GSC has decided, NO HK4, NO Phantom sims, in fact, NO SIMS on their end. I really hope this is not true though
Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rider
Member # 233

posted 11-10-1999 06:45 PM     Profile for Rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter:

Ahh Hornet Korea. That was the most fun I have had in a sim.

I remeber a lot of user designed addons to change the scenery from Korea green to Desert Storm brown and even arctic white. (My favorite.) You may still find links to those mods on GSCs site.

It was also nice to be able to cycle thru the different times of day with a simple keystroke. I always cycled to nite time for recoveries on board the carrier.

In the takeoff training mission, go full burner onto the runway, rotate, and look to your left. See the hanger with the open doors? Invert and fly thru the hanger.

Hang a right and fly towards Pearl Harbor. See that old carrier with no cross-deck pendants? You can land on it and take off again. Just use the whole deck.

And look for the red Ferrari at the Marina.

I miss that game.
sniff..

Kurt "Rider" Dschaak

Posts: 71 | From: Seattle WA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Porky
Member # 694

posted 11-11-1999 03:26 PM     Profile for Mr. Porky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SGAV8R,

>>>Sad to let you guys know, apparently, GSC has decided, NO HK4, NO Phantom sims, in fact, NO SIMS on their end. I really hope this is not true though<<<

Where'd you hear this?

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.