my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Aviation Reference Material

Author Topic: Aviation Reference Material
Cinders
Member # 403

posted 10-25-1999 12:34 AM     Profile for Cinders   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been following some of these posts and it seems that some of you would like some references to verify peoples claims or just learn more. Here's a short (and less than thorough) list:

1. Squadron Signal publications...many 1 ac books covering tech specs, typical and atypical weapons loads, differences among variants, plenty of pictures, drawings, 1st hand pilot accounts. Approx $8 per copy.
2. DataFax and AeroFax publications...much of the same as above but much more thorough text on systems and equipment/capabilities. Not as many in the series as Squadron Sig pubs but the ones that are out are excellent. Price varies $10-30.
3. Koku-Fan (Japanese text but good pictures, tables and charts, equipment lists etc. If you live near a college that offers Japanese you might find someone to translate it.)
4. Concorde Publications Company...good coverage of foriegn air arms, especially Soviet stuff.
5. World Air Power Journal
the Quarterly
the Specials
can't say enough about them!
6. Assorted magazines
Combat Aircraft by Airtime Publishing
Air Combat
Wings
Air International
Flight Journal
etc, etc...
7. Air Force Association magazine
Proceedings mag (naval)
Tailhook magazine
Approach (naval aviation)
many of these have references to military book clubs aimed at active/retired military members and offer very professional books on military matters and subjects.
8. Aviation Week...expensive subscription but many libraries carry it
9. Zenith Books
Specialty Press Books
two book clubs that cater to many things military with strong selection of aviation materials.

Where to look?

One of the best is a good local hobby shop. One of the best places to look for items 1,2,3,4 above.
Local libraries and bookshops for many of the magazines. In the bookshops look for the sections on history/military and also one called transportation.
Know someone in the military...ask if they have a copy of one of the items in 7 above, look it over and get some of the mil book clubs advertised therein.
Aviation museums have bookshops and giftshops with good selections of reference materials. Airshows do the same.

At this point I'm feeling very longwinded and taking up a lot of space. My apologies.

Cinders out

Posts: 112 | From: Lancaster, CA US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 10-25-1999 03:15 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heck no! Ditto on all the above publications. These are all magazines, though. What we need are books. The manuals that come with the sims are pretty elementary. I'll mention again a book that was introduced elsewhere here:

Fighter combat : tactics and maneuvering / by Robert L. Shaw. Annapolis, Md. : Naval Institute Press, c1985.

Another one is:

Fighter pilot tactics : the techniques of daylight air combat / Mike Spick. Cambridge : Patrick Stephens, 1983.

This one has a lot of history for those running the WWII flight sims.

Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cinders
Member # 403

posted 10-26-1999 02:41 PM     Profile for Cinders   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Envelope,

You are correct that many of the above sources are not hardback textbooks but they still contain much invaluable info and while most are not especially tactics oriented, you can't help but come away with some of that type of info, especially from the pilot narratives. The following 2 from Squadron Signal Pubs would be fair examples:
And Kill Migs (3rd ed, includes Gulf)
Wild Weasel, the SAM Suppression Story
(2nd or 3rd ed, includes Gulf)

But if you are really interested in hardback texts (that I have used at some point or another to understand some sim aspects better) then here, from my wife's bookcase, are the following:
1. Intro to Airborne Radar
by Geroge Stimsom
Huges AC Co. El Segundo, CA
LOC# 83-83041
This is huge but specifically written for understanding. You need a little trig and basic linear algebra.

2. Radar Electronic Warfare
by August Golden Jr.
AIAA (American Inst. of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
1633 Broadway
NY, NY 10019

3. Fundamentals of Aircraft Combat Survivability by Robert Ball
AIAA as above

4. Electro Optical Systems
by Waldmen and Wootton
Artech House Inc
685 Canton Street
Norwood, MA 02062

Again, you may find some of these offered thru some of the pubs in the earlier post. They are NOT necessarily all about tactics, but that type of info is present. You have to read and find it.

[This message has been edited by Cinders (edited 11-04-1999).]

Posts: 112 | From: Lancaster, CA US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 10-26-1999 04:30 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't mean to disparage magazines. I have been flipping through Aviation Week since before I could read. Even if you can't tell half the time what they are talking about, it leaves a good impression. I would also add the safety magazines put out by the various flying military branches. These can be a little grim, but I have seen early editions of Falcon keep track of accidents.

Congratulations on the flying wife. How about yourself?

It always occured to me that maybe the next best thing to being a combat pilot would be to ... well ... marry one.

Envelope
Member # 275

posted 10-26-1999 05:14 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And as to new references, this is home to me: http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/ I recommend searching using TELNET. Try typing "EXPLAIN EXPLAIN" to get an idea of how the MELVYL commands work. To get you going try "F SU FIGHTER PLANE COMBAT" and "D" to get a display of results. Type "AT ALL" to get results from the entire state wide University of California campus library system.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.