my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Best Set-up?

Author Topic: Best Set-up?
Stupidboy
unregistered

posted 10-16-1999 06:42 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going to buy a computer specifically to run F-15,F4 and both upcoming F-18 sims (yes, I have no life). Money is not an issue up to 2 grand. What will make these games smoke without paying for anything extra and unnecessary? Any advice from you gentlemen would be greatly appreciated. SB
IP: Logged
Aqualung
Member # 53

posted 10-16-1999 08:07 PM     Profile for Aqualung   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the only components that will make these sims smoke are the processor, motherboard, RAM, and graphics card (If you don't have a decent soundcard , you might want to invest in one of these too).

To get the best of these components you'll probably want to build your own system. A K7 Athlon or a PIII /w i820 chipset would do nicely. For RAM I'd recommend Micron or Kingston RAM, forget the generic stuff. For video cards a Matrox G400, nVidia TNT2 / GeForce, or a Voodoo3. Sound Card wise a Vortex II board or a SB Live are the best choices. Don't forget a huge HD for your sims, preferably UDMA 33 or 66.

Posts: 143 | From: Altamonte Springs, Fl | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-16-1999 10:54 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With the "next generation" vid cards on the near horizon,(aren't they always!) I'm personally going to wait a few months to take the plunge. Might get burned by higher prices though. Hear that RAM prices are going even higher.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 10-17-1999 04:27 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do not overdo with ram: 128 megs will do for you (wait for the prices fall down).
The soundcard I'd suggest you is the new Diamond Ms400, it's not A3D2, but supports both, EAX and A3D1 (hope the gameport is on the same level of the Turtle Beach one).
AND, if you like F4 and has 150$ more to spend get an Ur-Gear helmet: you'll not regret!

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stupidboy
unregistered

posted 10-18-1999 09:23 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions during actual set-up. Hey Lud, where can I find more info on the UR-Gear Helment? Thanks again.
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 10-18-1999 09:17 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry pal, but I really don't know.
I've got one after trying it in a megastore (I live in Italy, and this stuff has been out for quite a lot of time).
Viking 1 here seems to have problems to get one for reviewing, and I don't know where you can find it in the US.
I only can suggest you to yourself.

And you can give a look at http://www.unionreality.com
If you want to know anything else, just ask me, and I'll try to answer

Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 10-18-1999 09:20 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only can suggest you to TRY it yourself (Damn cut and paste )
jgalante
Member # 565

posted 10-19-1999 07:42 AM     Profile for jgalante   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some great advice on components - but I'd like to stress again what Aqualung said - build it yourself! You'll end up spending a bit more, but you get to pick exactly what you want in it, and it'll be tons easier to upgrade in a few months. I don't know if you're into it, but just about/MOST of the stuff will work together with no problems so its easy. I suggest making a list of stuff you want, then shopping the web for prices (TC Computers, MicroTrends, On Sale.com) - also, if they have computer shows in your area, that's a great place to get new stuff at competitive prices! (they'll have it all too (probably)).

HTH,
Gorilla

SmartBoy
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 09:58 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing that has not been mentioned so far is your hard drive. The hard drive actually plays a big roll in performance. Most people overlook this fact.

I would suggest getting a motherboard that supports the new ATA/66 standard, and a 7200 rpm ATA/66 hard drive to go with it. If you have the money go with a SCSI controller and SCSI hard drive which is even faster than the new ATA/66 IDE standard.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.