my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Apple's G4 and AMD's Athlon for SIMS

Author Topic: Apple's G4 and AMD's Athlon for SIMS
ecoli
Member # 467

posted 10-14-1999 01:00 PM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am wondering if anyone in this forum or in Combatsim.com owns one of these babies? I
want to know how well Falcon 4.0 or other sims run on one of these home-owned supercomputers.

The only thing I see bad is that you need to convert to Apple and for a US$1,300.00 it does not sound that bad for a home owned supercomputer!! ...and that for Athlon it's Rhombus RAM is not out yet to really show it's power. What are your thoughts?

------------------
"america the free? who ever told you that is your enemy!"
-RATM

Posts: 278 | From: Osaka Japan | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 10-15-1999 10:40 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still waiting for my G4 accelerator board for my Amiga (with an extra slot for dual processor setup which will do an amazing 8GFLOPS). That's some real power for sims, I can't wait to try F4 out on that puppy. The G4 is the most powerful processor out now, performing 20(!) instructions per clock cycle. Let's see F4 cripple that!
Aqualung
Member # 53

posted 10-15-1999 11:16 AM     Profile for Aqualung   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have an Athlon 600, and I must say it is fast. I got around a 12-15 fps increase in campaign mode in Falcon4 over my Pii 266. I expected a bit more but I think the bottleneck is now my video card. I expect this to increase more once I get my GeForce.

In Janes F-15 I get no slowdown, even when I fly through smoke (which used to be a slideshow).

BTW ecoli, Athlon MBs use SDRAM, currently PC100. The new chipsets (expected in Dec.) will support PC133 ram. Intel's camino chipset is going to be using the RDRAM. From reports, RDRAM is actually a little slower then PC133. It can transfer more data at a time, but has a higher latency.

Posts: 143 | From: Altamonte Springs, Fl | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ecoli
Member # 467

posted 10-15-1999 05:18 PM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turbo: You will have dual G4?!! Man! Let me know when you get it and tell me how it runs Falcon 4.0 on full graphics during a heavy campaign run! Man...!!!

Aqualung: ...and you have an Athlon 600?! You guys have the top of the crop. You mentioned 12-15Fps increase...what are your current total FPS over FLOT in Falcon 4.0? Thanks for the info on the RAM! When is Geforce coming out and where can I get more info on it?

------------------
-RATM

Robbster
Member # 376

posted 10-16-1999 05:33 PM     Profile for Robbster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We have two Athlon 600 systems on display at work. Both have TNT2 cards and 128MB RAM. Last week I brought some software from home to test these baby's, and I wasn't all that impressed. In comparison to my P450 at home, the Athlon 600's were only about 6 FPS better in Falcon 4.0's Campaign mode. I was expecting something much greater than that. Certainly not worth the hefty price tag. By the way, the reviews of the GeForce256 I have read on the Net are not all that positive. Not worth the $300 US pricetag! I'll pass and wait for 3DFX's offering coming up in the next few months.
Aqualung
Member # 53

posted 10-16-1999 07:23 PM     Profile for Aqualung   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I have a 600 , first major upgrade in 2 years...kinda needed it.

In Falcon4 I up'ed the graphics setting now that my computer doesn't choke on it. Before I got 8-10 fps at my current setting, now I get a constant 20-22. Thing is, it doesn't matter where I am, flying through factory smoke or over the FLOT, it constantly stays at 20 fps. This strengthens my idea that the video card is the bottleneck (its only a TNT).

For the RC5-64 key cracking project, I crunch keys about 2-3x faster. Though this only uses the integer unit and doesn't touch the K7's FPU.

In all, the Athlon is as fast as I thought it would be, though I'm not sure if I've utilized all its power yet.

The GeForce should be showing up in stores any day now.

Turbo
Member # 209

posted 10-18-1999 09:26 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ecoli: As soon as that puppy (G4) gets here, I'll let you know. I should be able to run F4 as smooth as silk (as well as a lot of other stuff).
Aqualung
Member # 53

posted 10-18-1999 06:34 PM     Profile for Aqualung   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wasn't the G4 delayed to an unspecified time due to a bug that limited the clock speed to 500 mhz?
ecoli
Member # 467

posted 10-18-1999 06:53 PM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turbo: Thx! I am looking forward for your tests with the G4! Man! Falcon runing on it...i just can't imagine.

Aqualung: That is something that Apple was planning to do but cancelled, it was not a bug. The G4 is very high in demand so Apple was going to limit the speed to produce more chips and meet the demand but the consumer public looked very bad upon this plan...so then Apple cancelled it.

------------------
-RATM

E. coli
Member # 16

posted 10-18-1999 07:17 PM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear god, not two of us
Posts: 106 | From: College Station, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ecoli
Member # 467

posted 10-18-1999 08:51 PM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ohhh...yes! BUt I don't mind to have a family member here. I had this name for some time but others followed. My causin Ebola and sister in law Anthrax and granpa Hantavirus...just to name a few.

------------------
-RATM

Jake Strafer
Member # 600

posted 10-19-1999 09:23 AM     Profile for Jake Strafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tell me something guys, I have a Celeron 300a o/c to 450 mhz, Abit BX6 rev.2 mainboard, 64 meg pc100 SDram, 16meg SGram Monster Fusion AGP, Sound Blaster16, and I consistently get (Falcon 4): ~35fps in 2d cockpit in campaign with all sliders to the right except player bubble & vehicle magnify on 1 [and ~70 fps in orbit view]...tell me, should I be getting this kind of performance with this very (now) inexpensive setup, when you guys with the Athlons aren't? just curious?
Posts: 239 | From: Burlington, NC, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aqualung
Member # 53

posted 10-19-1999 04:14 PM     Profile for Aqualung   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jake,

I can't say what kind of performance other people with Athlon's are getting but you can take a look at Papadoc's benchmarks and compare your setup. As I said before, I highly suspect that I've reached the limit of my video card, therefore I won't see any improvement with a more powerful processor. Wait till I get a new video card, then I'll crush the scores you're posting

Viking1
Member # 5

posted 10-23-1999 09:10 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was running a GeForce on an Athlon 600 yesterday. I ran WW2 Fighters but unfortunately he didn't have F4 installed.

BUt there was NO gain over the TNT2 Ultra he had previously in WW2 Fighters. We tried both while I was there.

OTOH, the Athlon 600 was quite a bit faster with F4 when we tested it last month. Check out the review from our system index.

The GeForce will be hot, but not with current software.

Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
[mposter
Member # 354

posted 10-23-1999 10:48 PM     Profile for [mposter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My P2-450 got 35-37 fps....The Video card in that was a Voodoo3....128 megs ram..

Im getting 45-47 fps in 800x600, front view 2d cockpit- in Flacon 4.0 now...
Athlon 650, with an Elsa 3 d3d 32 meg card, overclocked to 150mhz.
192 megs sdram....In 6 months, this will NOT be fast, but the norm ; )

[mposter

Posts: 395 | From: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KJSIMON
Member # 289

posted 10-26-1999 08:03 PM     Profile for KJSIMON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a MAC User, but because I am a rabid flight sim fan, I also have an excellent PC setup with large monitor and Saitek X36. I prefer my MAC but because there is very little MAC product out there in sim land, I MUST use my PC. What the hell good is the G4 if there is nothing that will run on it..oh yeah I have a PowerBook G3 for work....I love it to death.Too bad..Apple's greed in overpricing there MAC's for years drove millions away to PC's....they shot themselves in the foot...now it's the iMac and iBook GREAT!!!!..... but it's to little..too late.
Posts: 84 | From: Miami, Fla | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.