my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » EF2000 (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: EF2000
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 10-05-1999 06:13 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a bargain copy of this, and is Win95 release.
Anyone knows how to upgrade to 3DFX graphic (and how to DL the file since every link I tryed is broken)?

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-06-1999 12:15 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The version of EF2000 that runs native in Win95 is referred to as Super EF2000, though it may have come in a box labeled "EF2000 v2.0".

Anyway, this Super EF2000 cannot be upgraded to 3dfx. That upgrade is only for the DOS version. Personally, I prefer Super EF2000 because it has multiplayer over internet capability and is very easy to configure, unlike DOS EF2000 which is a real pain. Besides, on my Celeron 466 with a TNT2, Super EF2000's non-accelerated graphics look almost as good as the 3D graphics version, if not better. Also, Super EF2000 works better with a wide range of programmable joysticks.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fulcrum
unregistered

posted 10-06-1999 11:42 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does that 3DFX patch work for the original EF2000 and if so where can I get it?
Thanks

IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 10-06-1999 04:45 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Mbaxter, but on my screen (usually 1152x864) Super EF2000 is displayed on a little window, which is very annoying.
Can I set it on full screen or have I to switch the res at 640x480 each time I want to play the sim?

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-06-1999 05:11 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No just hit ALT-Enter to switch from window to full screen.
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 10-09-1999 07:52 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fulcrum,
go here for the Graphics+ patch but you must have EF2000 AND TACTCOM? http://www.did-us.com/patches/gfxplus.htm
and if you have a V2 board you will have to put a FEW lines in your Autoexec.bat to get it to work?
If you need it just reply here and i'll post them for you?

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Johnny
unregistered

posted 10-09-1999 06:47 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just bought EF2000v2.0. I have Suncom SFS Controller and SFS Throttle but EF doesn't want to see them. Can anyone please help me. My soundcard is Turtle Beatch Montego II

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-09-1999 11:05 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Johnny, you'll have much better luck with your joysticks if you run SuperEF2000, the Win95-native version of EF2000v2.0 that should have come in your package. I believe the EF2000v2.0 package comes with SuperEF2K, and the DOS-native 3Dfx version of EF2K.

The 3dfx version is more trouble than it's worth. If I were you I'd just stick with the Win95 version, which looks just as good anyways and has no framerate problems on any respectable machine (P-300 or higher).

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 10-10-1999 08:02 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter,that's some system spec for SuperEF2000 Win95(P300!) Is that honestly what you needed for a descent frame rate in Win95?
I bought EF2000 DOS(when it first came out)and TACTCOM and downloaded the G+ patch
It ran smooth as silk on my(then)P133 under Voodoo1-of course in DOS!
Unfortunately with sound/game ports now that JUST run under Win95/98 controlers are the biggest prob(SBLive! being one)
My Creative AWE32 STILL supports joysticks whether in Win95 or 98 in DOS and alas i still play EF2000G+ on my "old" P200 Diamond Monster Voodoo1 and my trusty AWE32
I have EF2000G+ on my PII400 V2 but can only use the keyboard(thanks to the SBLive! not running through DOS)
They just don't make 'em like they used to??

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Johnny
unregistered

posted 10-10-1999 10:05 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter,
The thing is that it is a Win95 installation!Also I was able to get my joystick working only when I put 2-axis and 4-button joystick in the Game Controllers. And now I cannot use my throttle or the colie hat on the joystick plus when I fly the plane tends to flip on the left side.

Johnny
unregistered

posted 10-10-1999 03:58 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how can I centre the joystick?
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-10-1999 09:54 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tracer - no I'm vastly overstating. I installed SuperEF2K on my brother's P200 w/32MB RAM and it ran just fine. No, they don't make 'em like they used to!

Johnny - you don't understand what I meant. When insert the EF2000v2.0 cd, it gives you three choices: install for win95, install for rendition, and install for 3dfx. Now, the first one if Super EF2000, which runs native to Win95 and should have no problems recognizing ANY kind of joystick because it uses DirectX and just reads the joystick from the Win95 game controllers.

Now, the Rendition and 3dfx versions can run in '95, but they are not native to '95. They don't use Win95's drivers & settings. They are pure DOS mode, meaning they are a royal pain in the butt to run with modern soundcards and joysticks. And if you're joystick is USB, you can forget it. Therefore, you're better off just running SuperEF2000. It won't give you these problems and looks just as good(if not better) anyways.

Johnny
unregistered

posted 10-11-1999 08:58 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter,
There are three choices for the installation: 3dfx, Rendition and Win95. I have Banshee card and I tryed installing 3dfx but it didn't work. Then I just installed the Win95 one. Actually I found that when I put 3-axis joystick drivers then I can use the throttle and the colie hat works when I put my joystick in keyboard emulation mode. So right now my only problem is that joystick is not centred in the game. But I did centred it in Game Controllers.

Badgerman
unregistered

posted 10-11-1999 09:21 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Johnny,

I've got basically the same configuration as you do, and found that I can the 3DFX version, as long as I go into the Joystick settings of WIN95, and change the Joystick driver to "Standard Joystick" vs. "Montego II"... the Montego has a digital joystick port, and the old, dos batch file in EF2K doesn't recognize the different freqs. This will allow you to use the "calibrate joystick" function in the Eurofighter config program. I've used this fix ever since I got my TB, and haven't had any problems. Good Luck,

Badgerman

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-12-1999 08:27 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Johnny I thought you had only tried the 3dfx version, which, by the way, will never work with a Banshee. It works only with V1 and V2(via some tweaks), but not Banshee. So, it's going to be Super EF2000 for you, bub!

And yes, SuperEF2K gets its joystick settings straight from Win95 so if your joystick is setup ok in Game Controllers you should be fine. I have use a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro(USB) stick though, so I've never encountered any drift or centering issues like you mentioned.

FalconF1
Member # 11

posted 10-12-1999 08:42 PM     Profile for FalconF1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whats all this talk about "Super" ef2k?
I thought the Super ef was the European version of Ef2k version2.0?

Anyways this game is fantastic. I used to run it on a Pentium133 with only 16megs of ram and it ran very well on that system.
It is a classic.

Posts: 300 | From: NY,NY- USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-16-1999 03:55 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No Super EF2000 is the version of EF2000 that runs native to Win95/98. That is, it gets its sound and joystick settings straight from windows, so it will work on modern hardware that the other versions of EF2000 choke on. If you have a PCI soundcard or a USB joystick then your best bet is to play Super EF2000 instead of the other versions.

When you buy EF2000v2.0 in stores, it comes with all three versions of EF2000v2.0 on one cd - the Win9x version (Super EF2000) which I described above, the 3dfx version, and the Rendition version. The 3dfx and Rendition versions can run in '95 but they run in a DOS box and they're a bitch to configure.

Johnny
unregistered

posted 10-16-1999 06:46 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also my version came with a reduced strategy guide. This is actually the most annoying because on the box it didn't say that the strategy guide is cut.
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-16-1999 10:03 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I know that really ticked me off, too! That "limited edition" strategy guide had just enough in it to tease me and make me want to buy the real one. Well, I'm not falling for that! You can get by just fine without the strategy guide anyways.

BTW, speaking of strategy guides, anybody looked at the official F4 strategy guide? What a waste of paper! (and money)

timmer
unregistered

posted 10-17-1999 11:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anybody know if SuperEF 2000 will function with a V3 videocard?

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-18-1999 01:55 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Super EF2000 works with any videocard. Also works with any joystick.
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-18-1999 01:58 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-18-1999 02:03 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 10-19-1999 02:23 PM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The 3DFx version of EF2000 would not work with V3 or any other combined 2D/3D 3DFX solution such as Banshee/Rush. I saw it on FAQ at the DID site.

Bulldog

Posts: 120 | From: San Jose, CA, US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 10-19-1999 02:26 PM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The 3DFx version of EF2000 would not work with V3 or any other combined 2D/3D 3DFX solution such as Banshee/Rush. I saw it on FAQ at the DID site.

Bulldog

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 10-20-1999 02:24 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like I said, Super EF2000 works with all videocards; the 3dfx version only works with V1 or V2(with some tweaks).
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 10-20-1999 07:14 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just picked up a bargain bundle of EF2000 that included F-22 at www.shopping.com for 20$. I'm grateful to be reading all this. I'm kind of disappointed with the EF-2000 frame rate on my 266 Celeron and I don't think it's using my old joystick throttle. It's not as smooth as A-10 Cuba. Also when I test the video using the DOS software they give you, my video fails. Any ideas why?
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Box-man
Member # 634

posted 10-21-1999 07:29 PM     Profile for Box-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm...I've never had a problem with frame rates in SuperEF2000 on a Pentium 300 or higher. Maybe you should try the "Install for Windows 95" option, which will install SuperEF2000. I would advise you to avoid the 3dfx and Rendition versions. They are more trouble than they're worth.

The Win95 version doesn't require any special configuring, it just works.

Boxman
Member # 213

posted 10-21-1999 10:21 PM     Profile for Boxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If IC had the chance to buy EF2000 v.2 would you guys say I should? Any input is appreciated.

Boxman

Posts: 179 | From: Thousand Oaks, Ca. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Box-man
Member # 634

posted 10-21-1999 11:22 PM     Profile for Box-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Boxman - man, this could get confusing. Maybe I should change my name or something...

What do you think of the name "Morg"?

Box-man
Member # 634

posted 10-21-1999 11:31 PM     Profile for Box-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and Boxman - yes I would buy it if you can get it for $35 or so. Also, I have a campaign enhancement I can email you that makes the campaign a lot more interesting. If anybody else is interested let me know.

Basically, in the normal game, the order of battle for NATO is comprised almost solely of EF2000's and the OOB for the Russians is almost solely comprised of SU-35's and SU-33's. Other aircraft types, while modeled in the game, are rarely seen.

Well, that was a glaring problem IMHO so I modified a file to change it. Now, the order of battle is a realistic mix of all NATO and Russian aircraft types, so now, when you play those campaign missions, you'll see all kinds of aircraft doing their thing which you've probably never encountered before. If anybody wants it let me know and I'll email it to you.

Joe B
unregistered

posted 10-22-1999 07:14 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Box-Man,

I still play SEF2K and would love the campaign tweak. BTW, I have both SEF and the 3dfx versions installed on my P233 and frame rates on both are fine. I too don't think the 3dfx is worth the trouble as there is very little difference between the two. I've also noticed that in the 3dfx version, even if I turn off the DASS, it still spits out flare and chaff automatically.

You can send the tweak to [email protected]

Thanks.

Joe B.

ecoli
Member # 467

posted 10-22-1999 10:09 AM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This part of the forum about EF2000 made me pull out my two versions of EF2000 (DOS and WIN95/3Dfx). Even though the sim is about 4 years old it is still very good and fun to fly. I was flying this baby with my wingmen and remembered the good old days of my Pentium 133 with 16 Mb RAM, 4x CD ROM and a trusty CH Product F-16 Flight Stick! Wow! The 3Dfx and Software mode do not have Major differences but there are nice touches that 3Dfx does wich makes it look a little nicer.
Either way it is a very very good sim that I still can play after seeing such good sims as Falcon 4.0, TAW, F15. This is a sim to just enjoy, it is like taking a vacation to an island in the pacific and sipping on a Pina Colada with a nice blonde...at least in a fantasy! eheheheheh...

------------------
"america the free? who ever told you that is your enemy!"
-RATM

Posts: 278 | From: Osaka Japan | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 10-22-1999 11:17 AM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Box-man,
I would like to have the modified OOB. Contact me on my ICQ for my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance,
Bulldog

------------------
No Guts, No Glory!

Ignacio
Member # 71

posted 10-22-1999 01:16 PM     Profile for Ignacio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am also interested in the campaign teak for EF2000, please send it to [email protected], thanks.
chacalaca
unregistered

posted 10-22-1999 04:07 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Box-Man,

why don't you post the campaign file on your site so we can download it. I think this would be easier, no?
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corridor/8603/ef2000.htm

Thanks.

EF2000 kicks any recent flight simulation's butt any time. EF2000 is the only game that gives me the sensation of being there from start to finish.

Chacalaca out.

Boxman
Member # 213

posted 10-22-1999 07:20 PM     Profile for Boxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, you guys have talked me into buying it. Now, I want to make sure I buy the right thing. I found EF2000 V 2.0 at EB World.com for 9.99. That is what I want? Right? And does it matter if I am running win98? Thanks for prompt replies.

Boxman

Box-man
Member # 634

posted 10-22-1999 08:14 PM     Profile for Box-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I would've have posted it on my site already, but for some reason Geocities has been giving me an FTP error when I try to upload the file to it, because it doesn't like the extension .cg. Strange. Anyway, I'll put together several different orbats and just combine them all in a single zip file, and then put them on my site. In fact I'll go ahead and do that tonight.

So for those who wanted me to email to you, just hang on a bit and it will be on my site...

Boxman
Member # 213

posted 10-22-1999 09:30 PM     Profile for Boxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Box-man,

What is the url to your site?

Boxman

Boxman
Member # 213

posted 10-22-1999 09:35 PM     Profile for Boxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DOH! Nevermind. I assume, the url in Chacalaca's post is your site. Hey, I had a long day guys, the brain shut off awhile ago.

Boxman

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.