my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI Super Hornet/Combatsim ethics

Author Topic: DI Super Hornet/Combatsim ethics
Stuka
unregistered

posted 10-04-1999 09:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm growing quite concerned about the virtual silence from Len regarding questions about DI Super Hornet. Whether or not the sim has a mission creator, vice a mission editor, has been posted several times but not a peep from Len or anyone else at Combatsim. The reason I read such sites as this is to get an early, honest look at sims that are in the pipe line or on the store shelf. What does this say about a site that won't comment on a sim's design features? Why won't they give us an answer on something that will likely been seen in a negative light? Combatsim certainly is critical of other sims before they've been released, but why not Super Hornet? Len?

In the hope that that pissed Len off enough to get him to answer some questions, here are some more:

There is now no mention of coop play on DI's Super Hornet webpage, only H2H. Has coop play gone the way of the dynamic campaign?

According to the Super Hornet page, the 40 missions include campaign, training, and instant action missions. How many missions does that leave for each campaign? Like only 12 missions?! Are there separate H2H missions?

Is there an actual air wing on the carrier, or is it only made up of Super Hornets and Sea Hawks? Why haven't we seen any shots of Tomcats, Prowlers, Vikings, etc.?

And of course the question of all questions, DOES IT HAVE A MISSION CREATOR?

Tom "Stuka" Stukowski

IP: Logged
Rick.50cal
Member # 172

posted 10-04-1999 10:25 PM     Profile for Rick.50cal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if maybe DI is considering all of the info that is being posted by us right now. Why? Well, we have not exactly been silent, and I'm sure that they are asking Len and co. what the reaction to this "SH-Lite" and "SH-Gold" issue is.

Since everyone in the know is silent, I might assume that things are up in the air right now, particularly since Janes F-18 and the GeForce\Napalm cards are also delayed. So what's my take?

DI is considering putting the dynamic and\or mission editor in, and releasing it later, rather than risk alienating the fans who waited two+ years for it. Second, perhaps they want to add a few graphic features for the new GeeF\Napalm\Sav2k, so it won't look like cardboard compared to Janes.

This might explain no response from Len, as he would be told: 'wait ten,out', while they make the hard decisions. Also consider the fallout of Sierra, Origin and DID may have an effect on programers in the company, who may feel without justification that their jobs are being threatened.

------------------
Rick.50cal

Posts: 520 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 10-05-1999 12:04 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stuka,
I was going to write you back and say that I have some shots of a few CVW aircraft from SH, but as I looked at the shots, I noticed that the texturing looked different than in the ones where the red/white Hornet is visible, ie, I think mine might be from Janes' F/A-18. I really don't think so, though, I've only been looking for DI SH shots. Maybe some Jane's ones slipped in by accident. Hope not. Anyway, I have one with an E on waist Cat#3, with the nose of an E-2C just visible on Cat#4. Another shows 2 F/A-18E's behind the JBDs on the bow cats, with 2 Turkeys, an EA-6B, and another E ahead of them. Like I said, I may have accidently gotten 'em from the Jane's game, I dunno. There is a rendered shot from superhornet.com that shows non-'puny' hornets parked with F-14's and Prowlers. (At sunset, in desperate need of being respotted-they're allover the place) Oh well, I don't claim to be an Airboss. I can email ya the shots so you can tell me if they're DI's, or post them if you tell me how. I can even end this post 'cause it's too long.

Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yogi
unregistered

posted 10-05-1999 04:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad I wasnt the only one curious about the silence. I dont mean to disrespect anyone, but we get this big lead-in to a review of SH.....and the most controversial aspect of the sim is not even commented on. Here is a quote from the review....
"In short, the plan is to release Super Hornet now, complete with mission editor, but lacking the dynamic campaign and the COMMAND features talked about earlier."
Ok, it says mission editor.....but what kind of mission editor, tinker with preexisting missions or actually create them from scratch? I have been as pumped as the rest of you waiting for this one, but not a stripped down version with a very minimal collection of scripted missions.
I can see absolutely NO reason why a responsible reviewer cannot spend 10min on this board, post a topic about the guts of this sims missions/editor so we will all shut up. If there is some sort of behind the scenes pressure from DI to hold comment until some decisions are made, then I can understand, but if not, whats the problem. Ask me a damn question about iF18 or Mig Alley or Falcon 4 and I will take 3 minutes, boot them up and find the answer to your question......not hard. And hell, I am not even a reviewer...just a loyal sim fan(atic).

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 10-06-1999 09:34 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Titus has it for a "Fall 1999" release. That's strange... Isn't "fall" called "Autumn" in English? It's a European company...

Well, anyway, in case you don't believe me, here's the URL: http://www.titusgames.com/products/index.html

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vector
Member # 463

posted 10-06-1999 01:26 PM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About the lack of other aircraft, their will hopefully be the ECM planes, the refuelers, and the mini AWACS. But as for the tomcats and the a-6's, their in the scrap heap man. The Super Hornet replaces all those aging relics.

------------------
-Vector, Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 10-06-1999 07:30 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(taking offense to that last remark) Hopefully there'll be a full CVN (including Turkeys, which are good till at least 2009), and a ful CVBG-I wrote the Q&A section about them on superhornet.com, but they haven't updated it yet) I think it would really add to the immersion to overfly Spruances, Arliegh Burkes, Ticos, Perrys, you get the idea, on the way back to the 'boat'. Plus, seeing anything on the deck that would be there in real life -including the Turkey- Prowlers, E-2C's, S-3s, SH-60s, ES-3's (maybe no)...etc. 'the realer the better'
Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vapor
unregistered

posted 10-06-1999 09:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi i was just wondering what aircraft you guys are refering to when you say "the turkey". thanks

Check Six,

Vapor

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 10-07-1999 08:43 AM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vapor: Turkeys are that great Grumman cat, the F-14. When landing, Tomcat's elevators look/move like the tail of a turkey when the pilot's making corrections, hence the nick..
Tomcat

Vapor
unregistered

posted 10-07-1999 09:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the clarification
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 10-08-1999 03:09 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're welcome! (PS, 'Turkeys'rock! :-) )
Vector
Member # 463

posted 10-12-1999 05:22 AM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, big fat turkeys ready for the slaughter

Why have the turkey taking up space when the Super Hornet does its job and better? Thats what I thought they were for.

------------------
-Vector, Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.