my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Good books on modern jet combat

Author Topic: Good books on modern jet combat
von Krarr
Member # 215

posted 09-30-1999 01:09 PM     Profile for von Krarr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can anybody suggest any good books on modern jet combat? (please not art of the kill)

F-15E, F-16, F/A-18 Tornado, you name it.

Posts: 963 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 09-30-1999 01:49 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is a book I just shelf-thumbed at a local B&N entitled 'USAF: Modern Air Warfare', or close. Covers the modern stuff from DS and onwards and gives you a good feel for the ranges of BVR -intercept- warfare. About 20 bucks.

But the two /really/ good books on the basic techniques and tactical consequences of 'fighting wars' (as opposed to 'walkovers' are Robert Shaw's _Fighter Combat, Tactics & Manevering_ and Marshal L. Michel's _Clashes_ on the evolution of Vietnam ACM, from both USAF and USN perspectives.

Both are hardcover, ONLY from the Naval Institude Press (special order from the larger stores), and in the 30-50 dollar range.

Both are superlative in the logic as well as backing refs they use (UCLAS Red Baron for example) to support it.

_Clashes_ is actually also gives you a pretty good (better than _FCT&M_) basic indoctrination into 'radar warfare' (which is FAR more important than the visual finale) as well as being a 'better read' with mucho individual engagement stories.

Robert Shaw adds 'fighter pilot humor' when he can but much of his work is theoretical and though diagram notated; takes a drier, more serious, mindset to envision the globespace of V-ACM and the changing missile/gun opportunities within a constantly changing, 4D, realm. I oughta sue, the man gave my wrists carpal tunnel!

If ya want the best, those are the places to start.

Kurt Plummer

FalconF1
Member # 11

posted 09-30-1999 05:29 PM     Profile for FalconF1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone remembers "Jet Warplanes:The 21st Century"?

Its a great book from 1986 (reprinted in 88).
You might think its old, but its not. All the stuff that is talked about today is covered in this book.

P.S.
Its got great pictures!!

Posts: 300 | From: NY,NY- USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 09-30-1999 06:30 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good subject Von Krarr. I to am looking for some new books on the F-15E and F/A-18 as well. What type of books are you looking for?, technical, pictorial etc.

Obi Offiah

Posts: 149 | From: London | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
von Krarr
Member # 215

posted 09-30-1999 07:55 PM     Profile for von Krarr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obi:

I'm looking for anything I can get my hands on. I'm a real technocrat (Ph.D. chemist) so the more detailed the better in my opinion. I think there are alot of good strategy books out there so I'm really looking for either technical stuff or anything that will get the true experience of modern jet combat across.

A good book on mud moving would also be very helpful since this is where I am happiest

Flt. Lt. von Krarr
16th Flying Tigers Air Combat Composite Wing
163rd Mad Bombers

Posts: 963 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fernando
unregistered

posted 09-30-1999 08:20 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check this Von Krarr http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1574881221/o/qid=938741286/sr=2-1/002-4962010-6089014
IP: Logged
Akulashaker
Member # 148

posted 10-01-1999 04:30 AM     Profile for Akulashaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An old but classic book: "Modern Air Combat", Salamander-1983 (possible reprints?), by noone other than Bill Gunston and Mike Spick. For newbies, this is as friendly, thorough and balanced as introductory books get.
Posts: 488 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.