my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » JFS: surprise..... it's good

Author Topic: JFS: surprise..... it's good
KJSIMON
Member # 289

posted 09-20-1999 08:45 AM     Profile for KJSIMON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got JSF on a lark primarily for the 4 excellent AVI movies on X-32,X-35,JSF program, and JSF Weapons. I was shocked that the sim is (for me) a lot of fun. I have ALL of the hard-core products out there. JSF has EXCELLENT terrain and graphics, weak cockpit graphics are my only complaint. Janes and many other sim developers could learn a lot from the JSF terrain modeling it's great.

------------------
KJSIMON

Posts: 84 | From: Miami, Fla | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-20-1999 10:18 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best terrain and aircraft graphics I've ever seen in any sim so far (and JSF was released back in late '97!).

JSF gives the best "feel" of actually flying, especially at low level - it's fantasitc. My only gripes with this sim are:

-Not fully dynamic campaigns on the level of EF2000, F4, or TAW.
-Wingmen only for air-to-air, cannot be used to hit ground targets.

JSF also has a very clean, quick, and intuitive campaign interface. 100 times better done than F4's slow, unwieldly campaign screen. Then again there's a lot more going on in F4.

I think JSF could've been a fantastic sim if Eidos had given it dynamic campaigns, better wingmen, and a little more realism. Unfortunately Eidos abandoned the game completely.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cliff
Member # 141

posted 09-21-1999 12:34 AM     Profile for Cliff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been harping about JSF for awhile now. I've e-mailed Innerloop (graphics engine) they don't have any sims in the works. I e-mailed third rail to tell them to look at JSF; never heard from them. I hope someoe picks up the ball on this=)
Posts: 11 | From: Placentia, CA. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-21-1999 08:25 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If they would patch/enhance JSF (add dynamic campaign, fix wingman logic, add a few other details), it would be the best sim out, even though it's a bit old. It's awesome! I think I'm gonna e-mail them too, these guys don't know the potential they have with this sim.
KJSIMON
Member # 289

posted 09-21-1999 03:01 PM     Profile for KJSIMON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know how to EJECT in JSF???
I hit (both Controls+ E) as it shows on the command card and manual and......nothing!?!?

------------------
KJSIMON

KJSIMON
Member # 289

posted 09-21-1999 03:06 PM     Profile for KJSIMON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess Eidos has TOTALLY abandoned this sim, with no future patches or upgrades on the horizon. I guess it didn't sell very many units........too bad. Team Apache by the SAME developer is also a BLAST to play and my FAVORITE Helo Sim, but alas...it didn't do well either.
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-21-1999 03:43 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you eject you can walk/run around too...now if you could only draw you weapon and shoot some enemy soldiers and try to get rescued...naw, that's asking too much.
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-22-1999 02:07 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can! Once I ejected over an enemy airbase. I walked over and shot up a AAA gun with my pistol and killed it!
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 09-22-1999 10:03 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this one of those glide only sims? Will it run on a TNT? I think I saw it once and didn't buy it cause it was 3dfx only.

Those companies that put out a 3dfx only sim are fools. They lose ten of thousands of dollars in sales.

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-22-1999 11:38 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MBaxter: How did you draw your weapon? Which key(s) do I have to use to draw it and fire?
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-22-1999 12:15 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW, Bigshot, JSF is not 3dfx only. However, it does support it.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 09-22-1999 01:01 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great, do you know if it'll run in 3d on a TNT?
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-22-1999 01:46 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course it would, it looks great even without 3DFX.
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-22-1999 04:58 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turbo - when you eject, after landing on the ground, you fire your pistol simply by hitting the fire button.

Turbo - JSF does look better than most sims on software rendering, but it would be cruel to make anyone think it's acceptable without 3dfx. If your videocard can't do Glide, don't waste your money on JSF, you'll regret it.

It's fantastic under Glide but doesn't support D3D or OpenGL. Yeah, I know it sucks, but 3dfx was the standard when JSF was made. Innerloop was contemplating a D3D patch, but abandoned the idea. In fact they had to abandone the whole JSF effort (no add-ons, etc). It's a shame because JSF is still the best looking sim ever made, and still does the best job of simulating the feeling of forward motion and flight. You can almost get dizzy playing it, especially on a 19" monitor - awesome!

None of the latest sims even come close to JSF's graphics.

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 09-22-1999 06:19 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks mbaxter. You saved me a trip. I won't run a sim on software. My memory was right. I thought is was glide only.
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-23-1999 12:06 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks MBaxter. I do have to correct you about the 3dfx issue though. I have a Savage4 AGP and a VooDoo2 12MB add on card. If I run it just using my S4 it looks very good, I kid you not. I haven't even installed the included 3dfx drivers, so I don't even use it (V2) for this sim. An interesting note is that there is mention of 3dfx on the box, but it's in very small print on the bottom of the box (I'm looking at it right now) and it says: also supports 3dfx graphics accelerators. There is no 3dfx symbol nowhere to be seen on the box, I repeat: it's in very small print on the bottom of the box. Does your box look the same? It runs quite fast on my machine, and I'm telling you it looks awesome. I'm gonna load the 3dfx drivers and compare. Anyway, you are right about the graphics and the flight sensation. You know what's even greater, no tiles. It's all smooth textures, you see no lines. Why do you think this great sim failed?
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-23-1999 08:52 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frankly I think JSF failed because it was lambasted by all the reviewers as being "not hard core enough". Also, the limitations of the wingmen (can't attack ground targets) was a big minus point for the sim as well. And also, no ATA refueling, and a pretty simplified "semi dynamic" campaign gave further reasons for flightsim reviewers to bash this sim.

Nobody ever really gave Innerloop credit for making the best sim (graphically) to ever be programmed. I wish I could convince Innerloop to release a 2nd edition of JSF that would simply add the following:

-More dynamic campaigns
-Wingmen that can do ATG attacks
-Ability to give wingmen custom weapons loadout
-Cooperative multiplayer (not really essential, but would be nice)

Those additions would make JSF the best sim I've ever played.

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 09-25-1999 08:00 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved JSF when i first got it(2yrs ago),the camera views are exactly the same as in A/H(following ground vehicles etc.) -the terrain detail was the best at the time!(I thought so?)
But One of it's BIGGEST faults was that there was NO training missions as to how to drop/use/target the weapons such as the JDAM/JSOW UNTIL you actualy flew the campaign!!(No TIALD/Lantirn MFD)
and the wingmen are b**** hopeless!!!
They supplied a patch on their site for Voodoo2 but it don't work on Win98 and not supported for it either!The last bit at the bottom of the readme was that in the future they would bring out an add-on with the VTOL version??
Very much a "Lite" sim

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-26-1999 06:52 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JSF has always worked flawlessly for me on V2 under Win98. I have a Creative Labs Voodoo2 12MB, but I run under 3dfx reference drivers, dated 9/27/98. I avoided the very latest 3dfx drivers because they gave JSF and some other games a washed out appearance. These slightly older V2 drivers work great with all my sims. If anybody wants I'll mail 'em to you.
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 09-26-1999 07:41 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did notice that when JSF DID run(for about 10 secs then locked up!) that it was VERY washed out?
Thanks for enlighting me about the older drivers(looks like they were the problem?) i think i have a set of old reference drivers and i'll def give JSF another go

Thanks

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VF-142 REX
Member # 392

posted 09-26-1999 10:19 AM     Profile for VF-142 REX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can i grab a demo of that anywhere?
Michael
unregistered

posted 09-26-1999 12:34 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you can get the demo at www.gamespot.com.
IP: Logged
Haggart
Member # 154

posted 09-28-1999 12:57 AM     Profile for Haggart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rotorheads rule! Jets are too damn noisy.
Posts: 74 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
hrm
unregistered

posted 09-28-1999 04:25 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
when jet engines were being thought of to use in passenger planes, one of the main pros was that they made less noise and fewer vibrations then pistons.
IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-29-1999 09:01 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rotorheads use gas-turbine engines as well as fighter aircraft, so what's your point, Haggart?
Akulashaker
Member # 148

posted 09-29-1999 09:34 AM     Profile for Akulashaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Jets are too damn noisy"

Hehehehe.......ask the Tu-95/142 jocks about the "quiteness" of their turboprop engines....hehehe (at top speed, the propeller tips are actually going supersonic!)

Posts: 488 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 09-29-1999 12:12 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's no doubt that a 'jet' under augmentation/reheat/AB is -many- times louder than the piston.

Vibration and maintenance are bettered though and a jet will satisfactorilly burn refined sewage, albeit at a much higher rate.

Now I just picked up the demo and am having problems... I get 'A required .DLL file, GLIDE2X.DLL, was not found.' message.

I /thought/ somebody said the d3d/3dfx -were- 'intercompatible' on this game? Anyway, my 4meg AGP chip is disabled in favor of a Savage 4. Can I not run the demo?

iF-18E demo: Dog Puke. Wanna try JSF buy it has to work before I shell sheckles.

Thank You- Kurt Plummer

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-29-1999 04:11 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, you do have to have a videocard that can do Glide to play JSF, unfortunately. Like LB2 and F-15, JSF was only made for Glide. The Savage4 doesn't do Glide, only D3D and OpenGL.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.