my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » USAF/World War (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: USAF/World War
cid
Member # 257

posted 09-18-1999 06:08 AM     Profile for cid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This will be a great game, have to keep the discussion going.
Posts: 87 | From: jellico TN | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 09-18-1999 09:55 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USAF is on my list. It looks good and I've got 10 gigs left on my harddrive. If I remember right, it's a big program (I heard full install is an entire gig for this one). Super Hornet and Janes F18 are also on my list. Half the fun of flying a sim is coming to these forums and reading about them. Here's hoping that Jane's will continue to support these after release?
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Impaler
Member # 131

posted 09-18-1999 02:13 PM     Profile for Impaler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I,ve seen that the release for USAF is october,but no date. Does anyone know when this game will ship? The terrain looks great in the screen shots!
Posts: 308 | From: an island in the pacific | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 09-18-1999 02:50 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Both USAF and F18 will likely go gold in the next ten days or so....
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cliff
Member # 141

posted 09-18-1999 06:59 PM     Profile for Cliff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Viking, how do you know USAF is going gold? Are you in contact w/people at Janes? Can't wait for reliable info. Thanks=)
Posts: 11 | From: Placentia, CA. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Beek
unregistered

posted 09-18-1999 10:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check www.limech.com .. that's prolly how he know's what's up .. cause i knew it too =) The story is there in the news section.
IP: Logged
Gripes
Member # 28

posted 09-19-1999 05:38 AM     Profile for Gripes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why does F-16 in those screens looks exactly like the one in Novalogic game? Are USAF's F-16C's really painted that pathetic blue colour? I thought they were grey like the one in Falcon4. Anyway, Mig-29 is taken straight from the IAF as well as all plane's A/B effect. (could be a placeholder though) The terrain does look quite good, but the plane models are not up to todays standards.

This sim seems to focus on 1. Gameplay, 2. Graphics.
I trust Pixel to deliver the first one big time.
I must admit I'm kinda dissappointed by the second.

------------------
Cheers,
Gripes

Posts: 25 | From: Israel | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
cid
Member # 257

posted 09-19-1999 06:06 AM     Profile for cid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
graphics look good to me.
Posts: 87 | From: jellico TN | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Buzzer
Member # 70

posted 09-19-1999 02:26 PM     Profile for Buzzer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Visit http://www.wingtech.net/usaf/index.htm there's a lot of great info on USAF there, also it is expected that USAF is coming out on October 2nd but this could change.

Buzzer

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-20-1999 07:45 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Will USAF have any kind of dynamic campaign, or least give us the ability to create very dynamic missions or mini-campaigns? That's a big thing for me.
Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
jk
unregistered

posted 09-20-1999 05:38 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is there going to be napalm in USAF
Impaler
Member # 131

posted 09-20-1999 05:49 PM     Profile for Impaler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am 99% sure that there is napalm. I beleive this has been asked before and won't it be fun to scorch some earth!
Posts: 308 | From: an island in the pacific | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
FalconF1
Member # 11

posted 09-20-1999 06:23 PM     Profile for FalconF1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, they sure pulled a fast one on Limech. According to what Pixel told Limech the USAF Demo should have been out by now..........
Posts: 300 | From: NY,NY- USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Thrasher
Member # 335

posted 09-21-1999 05:46 AM     Profile for Thrasher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that the color of the F-16's in USAF
is not like it should be.
Nevertheless I intend on making USAF part of my collection.

------------------
Thrasher, 313th VFS

Posts: 139 | From: Wierden, Ov, The Netherlands | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-21-1999 07:49 AM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If we are able to access the texture files for the respective aircraft (like IAF) then it shouldn't be to hard to adjust the colors as well as the tail art to be more realistic. Did anyone notice that the ACC emblem was missing from the planes with CONUS markings (CC-Cannon AFB/MO-Mountain Home)? We may even find someone who can make a program like Cammo-commander that will have multiple slots for multiple markings/cammo schemes, etc.:-)
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
507thSH
unregistered

posted 09-21-1999 08:26 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gentlemen I could not help but the notice the discussion about the F-16 color scheme. It would seem to me that Pixel is right on with the color scheme and to prove my point. I will point you to 2 examples one is a real pic of 2 1987 model F-16C's and a screen from the game of an 1987 model F-16C. As you can see the color scheme is right on IMO.

Real pic http://www.acc.af.mil/gallery/images/aircraft/f16/fi/00000018.jpg

screenshot http://www.wingtech.net/usaf/f2.jpg

507 out

507thSH
unregistered

posted 09-21-1999 08:40 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more thought on the F-16 color scheme I think the gamma in the screenshots may be a little low that may be why the F-16 does not appear as gray as it should.

Thrasher
Member # 335

posted 09-21-1999 01:14 PM     Profile for Thrasher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No offense, but I think the low gamma story is bullsh*t.
The color scheme for the 1987 F-16 may be the
right one, but that doesn't mean I have to
like it ;-)

------------------
Thrasher, 313th VFS

Posts: 139 | From: Wierden, Ov, The Netherlands | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-21-1999 06:42 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The texture scheme on the F-16 in USAF is not correct. The paint should be a light/medium gray and not the darker gray/blue that is found on the F-15E. Check the pic at this site.
http://www.acc.af.mil/gallery/images/aircraft/f16/fi/00000001.htm

Thrasher
Member # 335

posted 09-22-1999 02:12 AM     Profile for Thrasher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay...so that's a grey F-16.
Now I'm not really into plane color schemes
and markings, but 507thSH specifically mentioned a 1987 F-16.
Do they have a different scheme?

------------------
Thrasher, 313th VFS

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 09-22-1999 02:14 AM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Will there be a mission builder or better yet the ability to create your own mini-campaigns?
Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Thrasher
Member # 335

posted 09-22-1999 05:51 AM     Profile for Thrasher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to what I've read on the Jane's website; no.
http://www.janes.ea.com/usaf/usaf_index.html

On this page you can see what USAF will
feature.

------------------
Thrasher, 313th VFS

BEAR 257th
Member # 318

posted 09-22-1999 11:58 AM     Profile for BEAR 257th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of our members CHAMELEON flew F-16's for the 507th in 1993. The "C" models were a basic gray & the "A" models were gray with a distinct bluish tint.

Hope this helps

BEAR

jw
unregistered

posted 09-22-1999 12:18 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bear the 507th never had "C" models they were all "A" models. We were getting rdy to move to C models when they shut us down in favor of a tanker squad. I was a bomb loader there for 2 years was there at the end. Good to see someone form the old squad is still alive and kickin though.

jw

jw
unregistered

posted 09-22-1999 12:23 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USAF does indeed have a comprehensive mission builder. In fact it comes with 2 editors. 1 is accessible from the main game screen it allows you to change basic mission parameters. The second one is a full featured mission builder. You have access to all mission objects and features. What I can't comment on is how it compares to say Janes F-15 editor that is what will wait to see on.

BEAR 257th
Member # 318

posted 09-22-1999 12:39 PM     Profile for BEAR 257th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CC on the "C" model, guess I was not clear enough in the post, was just trying to indicate there were differnt paint patterns by model.

CHAMELON flew the "A" with the 507th & left before they converted to tankers. He then flew "C" with a ANG squadron (cant remember the # ) & finally retired about 4 months ago after a NO-FLY zone deployment.

Also the USAF screenshot referred to in one of the posts above shows a tail code of CC which is a F-111 unit & if I remember right the 507th Tankers now have the SH tail that the 507th F-16's used to have. So I was wondering if the 507th is actually modeled in the game.

JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-22-1999 03:54 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Folks, the CC stands for Cannon AFB, N.M. which is an F-16C/D base....27th FW. What squadrons are in this wing I do not know, but the "87" on the tail markings simply indicates what year the plane was made and does not indicate which model it is. However in real life it would probably be a Block 40 which is tasked to do LANTIRN/laser guided bomb type missions as opposed to the Block 50 which is primarily SEAD. As far as the shield on top of the "CC", it is incorrect and should be the basic ACC emblem, which is found on all ACC planes except some of the ANG birds. Anyhow, I know that it is probably irrelevant but hopefully informative :-).
BEAR 257th
Member # 318

posted 09-22-1999 06:06 PM     Profile for BEAR 257th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting info on CC, I had it as CC, 27th FW, Cannon AFB, N.M. (ACC), F-111F, EF-111A.

The CC plane in the screenshot is an '87 "A" model based on the paint & tail numbers. Do you know if the 27th flew "A"'s or were a F-111 unit at that time?

With the 507th now flying tankers instead of F-16's I can see the varks moving to vipers as a fair exchange

BEAR

Thrasher
Member # 335

posted 09-23-1999 02:15 AM     Profile for Thrasher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard that USAF will be released Oct. 5th,
but is that US release or world wide??

I'm from the Netherlands, you see....

------------------
Thrasher, 313th VFS

Turbo
Member # 209

posted 09-23-1999 03:53 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I may interrupt, I would like to know if the F-15 engine intake ramps will move up and down like on the real thing. Anybody know?
JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-23-1999 04:04 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About the Cannon AB thing, I think the began transition to Vipers in 1996. They retired the last of the SparkVarks last year, so they are totally a Viper wing now. Some of the pics I saw showed CC Vipers dropping LGBs so I guess they fly the Block 40 model with LANTIRN and a laser designator. Also, the only F-16A/Bs left are some ANG units that are in air defense command sqadrons.

As far as the F-15 engine intakes...don't think so...look at some of the screen shots.

JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-23-1999 05:11 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also here is an interesting comparison of the Janes F-16 tail art to the real thing...even the plane number..326!
http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/compareF16s.html

BEAR 257th
Member # 318

posted 09-23-1999 08:18 PM     Profile for BEAR 257th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info & shots on the current status of the CC tail code on the 27ths F-16C's.

Maybe Janes elected to use the old "A" model paint job & different shield logo in the game because they thought it looked better then the "C"s standard gray on the monitor

BEAR

VF-142 REX
Member # 392

posted 09-24-1999 08:09 PM     Profile for VF-142 REX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone wrote before that the full install will take possibly 1 gig...is that possible. If so, i can guarentee you that some stuff has got to go...out of 9.5 gigs, i have about 2.5 left...say goodbye to FA, IAF, WII fighters...also, does anybody else have a price on Janes World War?
Cinders
unregistered

posted 09-25-1999 03:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the F-16 color scheme, there have been essentially only 2 operational schemes through all models.
1. Overall FS 36270 gray with radome either black, gunship gray FS 36118 or a glossy version of FS 36270 (FS 16270).

2. The more common 3 tone scheme of FS36375 lt ghost gray bottom, FS 36270 upper forward fuselage and vertical fin, and FS 36118 gunship gray upper fus from canopy back. Radomes on these ac were usually FS 16270, gunship gray or black.

That's it except some test/eval, aggressors, T-birds, AFTI, and Vista birds. The problem most of you are encountering is that the above gray paints FS 36270, 36375, (and 36320, a close family member) can appear to be very grayish or bluish in hue depending on sun angle and the type of film the image is taken on. Case in point, I've shot pictures of the same F-16 (and F-15) at the same airshow on the same day, in the morning, noon and late afternoon and you would think that someone had repainted the ac when you turned your back. Lower light levels bring out the grayish hue and more lite tends to bring out the bluish hue. Whether this is coincidence or was part of the design spec when these paints were developed is unclear. There was a similar effect on some of the early paints used on the A-10 and when I had the chance to talk to some folks about it in the late 70's I was told that those paints had some very special IR qualities and they couldn't discuss the matter any further, and yes they did change hue in different lighting conditions.

[This message has been edited by Cinders (edited 09-26-1999).]

jk
unregistered

posted 09-25-1999 06:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
will USAF have a headset/mic packed in with the game?
Josh
unregistered

posted 09-26-1999 08:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I read somewhere that USAF would ship w/a mike or headset. I do not know for sure though. I'd like to know for sure.
VF-142 REX
Member # 392

posted 09-27-1999 02:45 PM     Profile for VF-142 REX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is my comp good enough to run the game cranked...
450 pii 128 megs of ram 32mb ati rage fury is this enough? Will it support force feedback? When will world war be up, and how much will it cost?

Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 09-28-1999 04:02 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F-16 Colors...

The original A's also had the 'hood' (Think Peregrine Falcon) farther back over the /aft/ canopy. C's and depot repaints quickly moved the hood up the fuselage to level with the ejection seat to help with gunstains.

Current-C painting doctrine is to eliminate the 36375 altogether, in favor of a simpler 36270 wrap with 36118 topsides.
Costs Benefits anal-ysis crap I believe and similar to the last F-4 HG-II scheme.

Both the top of the inlet, the sides of the fuselage sponsons and the outer sides of the ventrals have /always/ been 36270.

Starting with the mid-B.30(e I think?) but especially noticeable on the B.40's, the 'gondola' has it's front hi-painted 36118 Gunship which IS the same color as the F-15E, it's just the area effect and weathering which gives the purple-to-blue hueing changes.

Possibly due to the 'night' missioning, the B.40 also debuted the dark-new radome shade though you can now see Gunship Colored radomes on both 'fighter' Vipers and Eagles too. More costs and stocking reasons and it /ruins/ the camo...

I've also heard mention of a 'toughter' component material that didn't suffer hail or erosion degradation of the dielectrics as bad as being a possible reason.

The Paki aircraft have a 36270/36118, 'wave' scheme, similar to that worn by one of the original FSD aircraft.

Korean aircraft have a patch-countershade (like an Albino Eagle) in the 'bluer' of the Ghost Greys (36375/36320). Prettiest of the Vipers schemes, IMO.

Egyptian aircraft are USAF-style patterned but replace the 36118 upper-deck color with a 36231, Dark Gull, color. It quickly fades to a level-tone match with the standard 36270 forward area.

The Malaysian and Greek schemes are basically the same as the F-16N, 36307, 36251 and 35237 'splotches' in a wrap, I /think/.

Indonesian. Yee gawds. Talk about //blue//!! 'Toilet Bowl Turqoise'...

The Venezuelan Viper is in a scheme reminiscent of a dark-SEA camouflage and to be honest /truly/ looks like the old WARPAC A/G camouflage you see on some SU-22 and MiG-23/29 variants to this day.

Now having said all that, the non-specular colors WILL change tonal value and on the Eagle (which I'm more familiar with) there have been batch to batch variances and even a new /manufacturer/ spec, all without changing the base 'Federal Standard' color codes. Spray touchup (when we could do that) was also distinctly different.

Hey, ya'know what they say about "Close enuf fer guvernment work"?

Strange that the tail photos are so far off from each other. To me, the Janes-bird looks more like a Pratt Feathered version with the extended parabrake/EW tail of a Euro-mod A...??

The real-C photo is /definitely/ 110-powered.

Too bad that they chose to do 'Queen of the Fleet' ('87 is still C.30?) bird. No LANTIRN, No digital FCS, and the lowest-T/Wr of the 110s. Maybe they'll give us a 129 or 129EFE 'refit option' in the configuration screens?

HAH! Just noticed what look like -outer wing pylons- on the F-15E, _With HARM_!!!!! )

I only begged and /pleaded/ with CJ for that in the 'real' F-15E, accuracy be hanged.
Sigh...:`)

Kurt Plummer

dsasad
unregistered

posted 09-28-1999 04:16 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
holy hell! what are all the slashes?

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.