my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » WINDOWS XP- WHAT IS THE VERDICT?

Author Topic: WINDOWS XP- WHAT IS THE VERDICT?
111thTIGER
Member # 1012

posted 12-20-2001 09:25 PM     Profile for 111thTIGER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Im getting ready to have a new system built, A FALCON. Yes pricey but I have to splurge once in my life, this will be it.

ANYWAYS, XP is the only operating sytem they offer now. I asked about compatability problems and they assured me it was the new standard and set up correctly would be fine.

Well, b4 the money is really spent, for those of you running XP what is your verdict?

--------------------

FALCON NW MACHV. AMD 2000+,ASUS A7V266,1 gig PCI 2100 DDR, VISIONTEK TI500,IBM 60g XP, CL AUDIGY, WINDOWS XP, DX8.1,CH GAME PORT F16 Fighterstick and Pro-Throttle

This system is AWESOME!

Posts: 280 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-20-2001 11:36 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I haven't actually run XP but I can tell you that I have had more than a few people request their site user name / password combos from me because they wiped out their password file when they de-installed WinXP to go back to Win98 again.

Not very scientific, but it's something to consider.

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
111thTIGER
Member # 1012

posted 12-21-2001 12:23 AM     Profile for 111thTIGER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, thats what Im afraid of. Part of me wants to think that this problem is anecdotal. And then the other part of me says, "WATCH OUT, you are laying out a big chunk of change."

I want to believe FALCON NW is going to set this thing up right. They seem to have a great rep. But then I read the horror stories regarding XP.

Im getting this rig to enjoy simming not to create new headaches.

THanx for the response Doug. Im trying to keep the friendly skies friendly but it is a chore right now.

--------------------

FALCON NW MACHV. AMD 2000+,ASUS A7V266,1 gig PCI 2100 DDR, VISIONTEK TI500,IBM 60g XP, CL AUDIGY, WINDOWS XP, DX8.1,CH GAME PORT F16 Fighterstick and Pro-Throttle

This system is AWESOME!

CpuDoctor
Member # 9381

posted 12-26-2001 01:16 PM     Profile for CpuDoctor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After having installed XP some months ago I can tell you that it's really a mixed bag for us gamers

Out of the 60 some odd games that I have, I will admit that the vast majority of them work well (some even better). BUT......some of my favorites; USAF, Mig Alley, Fighter Ace ect. all show one strange problem or another. USAF for example will not let you access any drop down menus. Mig Alley will not recognize any of my joy sticks.

I now know that only patches for these specific games will solve these problems, in some cases are never coming.

But, the stability is great (not one crash), and it actually seems more user friendly. So.... IF falcon sets it up right (which I have NO doubt that they will), you're have a great gaming system, just don't count onto playing your older classics

--------------------

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane
to its maximum.
- Jon McBride, astronaut

Pentium 4 1.8
512Mb
Geforce3 Ti500
SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer
Envision 19"
Win XP Pro

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
111thTIGER
Member # 1012

posted 01-10-2002 11:26 PM     Profile for 111thTIGER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that you will be right regarding the old games. I sent FALCON both JFA18 and Grand Prix Legends to install for me.

They got GPL running fine, JFA18 however only runs in some odd mode at 256color and 640/480.

i may have to do some searching over at the JFA18 sites to see if there is a work around for XP I hope that there is. This system should do a good job running it.

cant wait to see IL2 and LOMAC on it.

THanx for the response.

--------------------

This system is AWESOME!

GreyEagle1
Member # 9057

posted 02-01-2002 11:17 PM     Profile for GreyEagle1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I accidently posted the following on the the Joystick forum as this post is what I was replying to I'll post it again.

I upgraded my computer to an AMD XP 1700, 384 MG mem., GeForce 2,SB Audigy. I have installed Windows XP professional on it with an NTFS file system. Since I can't use my FLCS or Throttle with it, I have run limited tests on gaming programs developed for 95, 98, and ME. I have aborted out on systems errors on many of them. Last night I was about ready to chuck XP after re-setting up my computer for the second time.

As I have quite a few older Sims which I love. Iíve decided to set up a dual boot systems with XP and a NTFS file system in one partition and Win98 with a FAT32 file system in the other. Hopefully this will give me the best of both worlds. Hopefully stuff will come out designed and tested on XP. In addition I can learn the new operating systems and assist Microsoft with all of the other XP users to de-bug it (smile), while being able to run all of my other stuff, which includes sub sims also.

Now if the Cougar would released, it would be a perfect world.

Posts: 6 | From: Littleton, CO USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Revvin_UK
Member # 9487

posted 06-29-2002 12:37 PM     Profile for Revvin_UK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm running Win XP Pro with no problems whatsoever, infact my system is a hell of a lot more stable. I installed and run both Grand Prix Legends and Janes FA18 without any problems at all.
Posts: 25 | From: Cardiff, Wales, UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Overkill
Member # 5169

posted 08-05-2002 05:23 PM     Profile for Overkill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have no problem whatsoever with XP. It has been rock solid for sims. F4 and IL-2 run very well with XP. You may have some problems with Jane's F18, but really don't be scared. I was hesitant too, but when I built my new system I went ahead and did it. No probs. Since Falcon NW is building yours. I doubt you would have problems either.

--------------------

Stephen

Specs: Lian-Li PC 60 case, Asus P4S333 DDR mobo, Intel 2.4ghz Northwood, 1gig of PC2700 333 Samsung, WD 1000JB SE, Lite On Burner at 40X, Lite On DVD and CD-ROM, 250mb Zip, SB Live!, VisionTek GF4 Ti4600, Windows XP Pro, Optiquest 19" and the Cougar HOTAS

Posts: 597 | From: Midlothian, TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.