my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » Reformating a computer...how?

Author Topic: Reformating a computer...how?
Patrocles
Member # 7608

posted 10-28-2000 02:42 PM     Profile for Patrocles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How does one go about getting info on reformating/reinstalling an OS? There is no info on the manual or HELP file for W98SE. I would like to reinstall W98SE on occassion in order to clean up the system. Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated!
FishHawk
Member # 6744

posted 10-28-2000 05:45 PM     Profile for FishHawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just shutdown window to dos then type

format c: at the dos prompt

FishHawk

Posts: 93 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 10-28-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you loaded windows origionaly you should have made a startup disc,
go into your bios and make sure it says a/c in the boot sequence, put floppy into drive
and reboot your machine,at the a: type format c: follow the on screen instructions.
when it has finished re boot with floppy still in a : drive, it should ask you if you wish to start computer with cd rom support, type yes,when it has finished put windows disk into cd rom drive, type setup and that should be it...good luck.. you,l be telling other people how to do it next week.tony d

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Seaman
Member # 7574

posted 10-29-2000 02:02 AM     Profile for Seaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go to your harddisk manufacturers website and download a diskmanager.

Remember have a startup disk (make a new one or use the one that came with your OS) to boot up after formatting/partitioning. This is not necessary if can boot up using your CD-ROM (in the BIOS you can choose boot-up media like floppy, CD, HDD etc).

Patrocles
Member # 7608

posted 10-31-2000 07:48 PM     Profile for Patrocles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm looking forward to your article on reinstalling an OS. Where will the article be located?
W98SE came loaded with computer but I assume the Startup disk I made would be the same as the one you mention below.
Your reply sounds straightforward...I'll have to find a victim to try it out on! ha ha
Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by tony draper:
When you loaded windows origionaly you should have made a startup disc,
go into your bios and make sure it says a/c in the boot sequence, put floppy into drive
and reboot your machine,at the a: type format c: follow the on screen instructions.
when it has finished re boot with floppy still in a : drive, it should ask you if you wish to start computer with cd rom support, type yes,when it has finished put windows disk into cd rom drive, type setup and that should be it...good luck.. you,l be telling other people how to do it next week.tony d

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-02-2000 08:38 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't forget to have your OEM # handy for your WINDOWS CD. If you no longer have it
check SETTINGS/CONTROL/PANEL/SYSTEM .
You will see the registration # you need on the icon.

My NEC came with 2 Registration # for the WIN 98 CD.
One issued to NEC and one issued to me.

Guess which one was kept - and which one didn't fit into the installation wizard when it asked for the serial # during my windoz reinstall. Wasn't noticed at first because WIN98 was preinstalled.

Murderous rage doesn't even begin to describe....

You might not run into this problem - but you never know. With my NEC I did.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.