my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » Herr Hewett

Author Topic: Herr Hewett
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 09-16-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill, when we were buying the PIII 800e, the supplier said that we should go to an 800 Athalon system. He said much faster, better, & cheaper. I had an AMD chip about 4 yrs. ago & it was faster but a lot of crashing to DT. Went to an Intell & the problems were solved. Would, or could, you go out on a "limb" & give your opinion. The cost is not too much of a factor but the results in sims are. Thanks in any case!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 09-17-2000 08:55 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Be happy to Sir. IMHO
There is no doubt that the Athlon is an excellent cpu (arguably 'faster' but not 'better') that provides exceptional bang for the buck. And I'm pleased to see Intel get some serious competition, which will only serve to strengthen processor development as a whole. Now to your question - I'm staying with Intel. There was a time when I was strictly outside the mainstream and enjoyed what these differing technologies offered. But I have come to find that there is truly more strength in numbers and in an imperfect computing world the bulk of the bug fixes go to the masses. Today I am more concerned with stability. I would rather forego some esoteric bleeding edge advancement for the sake of more stable sim time. Just because a real life aircraft requires an 8:1 maintenance to flight time ratio does not mean I want this in my simulation time. Perhaps resultant of a busier [and older] lifestyle these days. That is why I am running an Intel proc under WinME with a [Direct3D] GeForce2 graphics card and enjoying first rate, and most importantly stable, simming.

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 09-17-2000 10:16 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Bill. The way you put that indicates a "large" limb! Great stuff & it all makes perfect sense. Your a YODA!!! like in your de man!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.