my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » DirectX-8 expired

Author Topic: DirectX-8 expired
Silverfox
Member # 5218

posted 09-04-2000 05:37 PM     Profile for Silverfox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been using the pre-release version of DirectX-8 and it just expired. I've tried re-installing it and no-go. I tried overwriting it with 7.0a and it detected the newer version and wouldn't install.
What do I do now???

Posts: 13 | From: Bedford, NS, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 09-05-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're not going to want to hear this but best to reformat your drive (or the partition where your OS resides) and re-install the OS/Directx7.1. We who play with 'beta' software tend to reformat far more often than our brethren who do not - comes with the territory.
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Silverfox
Member # 5218

posted 09-11-2000 03:24 PM     Profile for Silverfox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help. Lesson learned; don't screw with DirectX. I try to format once a year and was past due but hey! it's still a big job! But it's like a good BM- once you're done, you feel so much better.
Posts: 13 | From: Bedford, NS, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 09-13-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe!!! Herr Hewett is so right. I had to format my operating drive & reinstall DX7. I could not find any other way.
Bill, did you try that GF tweak yet. With settings on "quality" we can run things as low as 640*480 with great results. In Mig Alley we have to uncheck the FFSA. We also had to use the Nvida drivers (6.18) as the Asus (5.33) would not work in said sim.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
granny
Member # 5203

posted 09-15-2000 04:23 PM     Profile for granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No way reinstall!! there is a program called direct x buster, i had it but i will look if i can find it again. With it u can loose the old direct x and reinstall a new one..

Granny out........

Posts: 115 | From: Holland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
granny
Member # 5203

posted 09-15-2000 04:38 PM     Profile for granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Found it:
http://www.planetdiablo.de/cgi-bin/dl2.pl?dxb1321e.exe

or:
http://www.planetdiablo.de/gi-bin/dl.pl?dxb1321e.exe

don't know if it really works but it's worth a try isn't it?

Granny out......

Posts: 115 | From: Holland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.