my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » POOOOP!!!

Author Topic: POOOOP!!!
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 08-12-2000 11:27 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think that I'm that stupid, I just do stupid things sometimes/a lot!
I've read many times on these & other boards about the perils of Beta things. I haven't had many problems with vid drivers so I thought I'd try the DX8 one. For one who likes walking/running on the "high side", I thought, what the Hades, lets giver a go. 5 days & umpteen formats later, I "think" we're up & going again, with 7a. When the boys/girls say beware of beta, BEWARE!!!! Your SANITY & all things one considers HOLY could be @ stake.
In another week I MAY be back to NORMAL & hopefully a WEE BIT WISER!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 08-14-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol - you actually tried DX8? I reckon we should be allowed to take you out back and slap some sense into you.
Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
granny
Member # 5203

posted 08-15-2000 04:50 AM     Profile for granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm using dx 8 and have absolutely no problems with it. Also BETA means BETA = not completely tested. U must have been warned of that!

Granny out........

Posts: 115 | From: Holland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 08-15-2000 10:36 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe!!! Yes, I could & deserve a slapping. Oh, they worked great for about 4 hrs. & then strange things started to happen. Lost keyboard commands in some situations, including the dos prompt, but not in others. Then screen lockups, like even in desktop. Went back through all my vid drivers but things just got worse. Thus, the dozen or so formats & the oath to puter gods not to be so cavalier next time.
Good luck to you Granny. Probably your puter skills & intellect levels are much higher than mine. I'm from the old & maybe nefarious school of "kill them all & let God sort it out" which is most likely one of my greatest downfalls.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spin Doctor
Member # 77

posted 08-22-2000 07:49 PM     Profile for Spin Doctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, not to question your wisdom, Kraut, but I've always been the type to avoid upgrades until the word is out on how it runs, etc. I NEVER get any get any new DX drivers from Microsoft, because 90% of the people out there can't use first run DX drivers.

On another note, concerning M-soft and win 2000. Is there any advantage to upgrading to this OS? I mean, nothing important (i.e. games) has been written for it, so why go through the hassle of finding out half the games you own won't run on win2000 AFTER you've installed it? I see a lot of those posts and I find it all rather amazing.

Posts: 321 | From: Lusby, Md | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.