my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » Win98SE

Author Topic: Win98SE
RubenJames
Member # 2645

posted 07-03-2000 07:50 AM     Profile for RubenJames   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ask a silly question: does it help playing games ?
Posts: 1093 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fritzdog18
Member # 66

posted 08-01-2000 08:45 AM     Profile for fritzdog18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only reason I upgraded was to get USB support for my x36 HOTAS. Other than that I would have spent the money on more important upgrades.

------------------
Fritzdog
Janes F/A-18 Resource Center

Posts: 355 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Splinter_95VFW
unregistered

posted 08-04-2000 07:44 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you got f18 to work with windows 2000?
IP: Logged
Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 08-08-2000 08:56 AM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thought I'd dredge up an old topic, given that I now have something relevant to add.

Does Win98 help with playing games? Hmmm...compared to what - Win95?

I just upgraded last night - wiped my '95 partition and slapped on Win98 SE. Got a used OEM version for 50 bucks from www.gametz.com . Worth looking at if you want cheap software. Given that the cheapest legal new OEM I could find was about 80-90 bucks (and that's with an HD or mobo purchase that I don't need right now), I reckon it was a pretty good deal.

Anyway, I haven't got everything installed yet - that'll probably come tonight. However, Q2 and Q3 both still work despite me blowing away the old registry and so on - I did a few tests with those, and they both come out a little over 10fps faster than Win95 OSR2 - both used to run somewhere in the 40's, and now are up averaging in the 50's in their respective timedemos.

A pretty good 25% increase, I'd say - for the 50 bucks I paid, I'm definitely happy. I got more of a tangible performance increase out of Win98 already than I Have with messing about with tweaking.

Other improvements I've noticed are that the boot and shutdown times are definitely improved. We'll see how it goes once I have all my junk installed, but at the moment, it boots up in about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time that Win95 took, and the shutdown is almost instantaneous.

If you can find it for cheap and you're still using Win95, then I'd recommend it. As always, avoid the upgrade version like the plague...go for the full or OEM version, and install from scratch.

Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 08-08-2000 11:05 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since it's almost time for my annual drive reformat/rebuild I'm going to install Windows Millenium (WinME). It's due out 14 Sept. From all the previews I've read it will be better for gaming than NT, 2000, or 98SE.
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 08-08-2000 02:24 PM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At my current rate of advance, might as well book me up for WinME sometime in 2004.
Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.