my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Operating Systems   » HELP!!!

Author Topic: HELP!!!
Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-22-2000 09:57 AM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After finishing "Hidden & Dangerous",I installed "Devil's Bridge".I then shut down and re-started what happened next stinks!I booted fine until"verifying DMI data" then the blue screen of death,"VFAT Device intialization failed","A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or un-available.VFAT cannot continue loading"

I did a step by step confirmation start and it looks like the problem is with windows\dblbuff.sys and windows\IFSHLP.SYS and line 2 of my config.sys

I copied all these files from the pc at work but have no idea how to put them where they go if I can't launch windows!! Any help would be most appreciated,I'm going through major flight sim withdrawal!

Mudshark

[This message has been edited by Mudshark (edited 05-22-2000).]

Posts: 27 | From: Lexington,KY. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hapy4evr
Member # 3179

posted 05-22-2000 11:19 AM     Profile for Hapy4evr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what you wrote, the trouble in on line 2 of your config.sys. what does this line state? Could you post your config.sys contents? You might want ot try a "REM" statement on that line to see how it affects startup

[This message has been edited by Hapy4evr (edited 05-22-2000).]

Posts: 143 | From: Buena Park, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-22-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply,I should have thought to copy and bring that file with me,I will tommorrow if I fail tonite,I will also try the "rem" line in front of line 2 and see what happens.

thanks again,
mud

Hapy4evr
Member # 3179

posted 05-22-2000 12:06 PM     Profile for Hapy4evr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
let me know how it goes and we'll go from there
Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-23-2000 09:15 AM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I had no luck with anything last night,now I don't get the blue screen of death,the thing just keeps re-booting!As soon as the windows splash screen comes up,it re-boots,windows never launches.All I really need to figure out (if I can't fix this that is)is how to save a couple of files from DOS then I'll just re-format (if I have to!). Here's my config.sys file as well:SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\PhotoDeluxe 2.0\AdobeConnectables
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
C:\EAPCI\apinit.com
CONFIG SYS 4.0

thanks again,
mud

Hapy4evr
Member # 3179

posted 05-23-2000 10:57 AM     Profile for Hapy4evr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mud

After looking at you config.sys I have a question..... are you doing a multiple boot? I am refering to line #2.

Try doing a step by step startup, press F8 during the windows startup and look to see when windows hangs. can you start in safe mode? Did you rem out line 2 like I asked?

Lets give it a try

------------------
XPappyX
Buccaneers Forever

Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-23-2000 11:28 AM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once again,thanks for replying!I cannot start in safe mode,it hangs at the splash screen,blue bar at the bottom is scrolling but windows never loads.I didn't try rem on line two,I will tonite but today is it for internet access for me until I get this resolved,I'm taking off work until next Tuesday so if I don't get my home system running,I'm not even going to think like that!

Thanks again,
mud

Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-24-2000 09:55 AM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm back in business!I decided to try something and it worked,I ran setup.exe from dos and installed windows on top of itself and it worked!I think the problem was I was getting too low on disk space and windows didn't like that,I've learned my lesson though,buying a cd-rw asap and backing up everything!

thanks for the help,
mud

Warlord25
Member # 3449

posted 05-24-2000 11:10 AM     Profile for Warlord25     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you re-installed windows, did it still recognize all of the apps you installed previously?

------------------
guns-guns-guns...
splash 1 bandit

Later, Warlord

Hapy4evr
Member # 3179

posted 05-24-2000 11:22 AM     Profile for Hapy4evr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so cool

Stupid of me not to sugest that. I tend to get hung up on the really off the wall remidies

------------------
XPappyX
Buccaneers Forever

Mudshark
Member # 2731

posted 05-24-2000 01:13 PM     Profile for Mudshark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes it recognized most them except for the ones that need dx 6.1,re-installed that and everythings fine so far,netscape didn't want to work right so I'm going to use ie4 from now on(I'm sure Bill Gates is jumping for joy!).Other than that ,I feel pretty lucky.

mud

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.