my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » So close...yet so far...NOT the Holy Grail yet!

Author Topic: So close...yet so far...NOT the Holy Grail yet!
tpol
Member # 9005

posted 01-01-2001 11:09 PM     Profile for tpol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So close...yet so far. The game has many good points....complex instrumentation, immersive atmosphere, realistic bombsites, flexibility in roles etc. But what were Wayward Design thinking of??? They seem to have tripped up on some basic 'flight sim' rules...IMO. The biggest bloop is to have only an instrument view with no outside reference points...I wander crazily in formation whenever I put my head down...makes it very difficult to fly in formation....should have had a half instrument panel/outside window view option, as well as the excellent dedicated instrument views. And the flight model....too easy...shouldn't be able to loop the bloody thing! And why is there no real engine management? What fun it would have been to have to nurse your four engines all the way to target and back....making sure they didn't get too hot. And why do we have instruments (direction instruments and the bank instrument) that don't seem to play any part in the game? Sigh....so close, and yet so far. What a pity. Tpol
Posts: 18 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
SPANKY
Member # 1063

posted 01-02-2001 10:23 AM     Profile for SPANKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy, glad to see another face here after the big shake up . even though i've had b17 for a few days i have to agree with you regarding the cockpit views. i was quite disapointed with that aspect of the sim. i'm not going to write if of just yet.there's always hope that the addon / mod guys will find a solution one day.
Posts: 68 | From: parksville b.c. canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Desmo
Member # 7531

posted 01-02-2001 03:26 PM     Profile for Desmo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tpol,

I'm also disappointed about the lousy flight model, way overpowered and much too easy to land. Would be great to try landings with asynchronous engine power instead of rudder, but it's much too complicated to handle with the current panel and no outside view.
A smoking engine or flying high power settings with cowl flaps closed will not raise your engine temp by a degree :-((.

Re formation flying : Keep your plane well trimmed, then you can go to the instrument panel for a couple of seconds without crashing :-).

As the rest of the sim is top notch, just fingers crossed for a patch .....

Desmo

Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 01-02-2001 11:26 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gentlemen,
I feel your pain. What an incredible tragedy it would be if Wayward wasn't addressing it.
I'm sure if it was up to Hasblo, we'd be adrift...

Also checking to see if my new account will let me post!

------------------
-=Spectre=-
[email protected]

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flanker35M
Member # 7450

posted 01-04-2001 03:22 PM     Profile for Flanker35M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S!

Because of the instrument views I don't use them or fly the bomber if not REALLY necessary(damaged etc.)I let the AI handle it.Instead concentrate on getting bad a** on bombing and gunnery.The patch hopefully will fix some big bugs but do not expect too much though.The world of games is a harsh place and dollars decide what they will do to this sim next...

Flanker

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.